Food and Nutrition in Assisted Living Communities

It varies where I live. Our new chef tries to do his best with what they allow him with his budget. It comes from a central diet dispensing center for institutions, and since we were recently sold to a greedy consortium, the menus are terrible. Not as bad as what GAlady just posted, but hardly considered appetizing. They consist of protein, veggie, carbohydrate. Once in a while, there are 2 carbs. We always have salads and soups available and a variety of deserts. Still, the rents do not justify our choices. It is not cuisine.

My FIL lives in a senior center (not necessarily assisted living though they offer that option) and the food has gone downhill greatly recently. It used to be good and now is often terrible. They've also gone through various chefs and kitchen managers. everybody must be trying to cut costs. They have no option to not pay for meals, either

I live in a very nice upscale Assisted Living in Georgia and pay very hefty rent each month. I have lived here for over two years. Usual everyday problems come an go and eventually get solved. But the one problem that will never be solved is Dining Services.

I have seen four different Food Directors while living here. The present one has been here about six months. Her previous employer was a Juvenile Detention Center.đŸ„ș She is used to feeding teenagers and she wants to keep feeding us the same menu. She is suppose to be follow the corporation guidelines that manage. And she is suppose to take suggestions from the residents. She refuses to listen to us. We a”ways had a weekly food chat before she came. But she somehow convinced management to do it once a month. They just hired a new Executive Director three weeks ago and he seems to let her have free rein also.

I would love to hear from others about their experiences with I call it Institution Dining.
Sorry that you are going through this @GAlady ! The fact that your facility went through 4 food directors in the two years you've been there shows that there is something wrong with the administration. Maybe they are cutting costs on who they hire, and the cost trickles down to buying cheaper or less food. Also, has the cost of the food to make the meals risen (due to a number of factors, like inflation, or gas prices rising)? Were the meals before this better? Why did the other directors leave? Was it from dissatisfied residents?

If it's any consolation, given that history tends to repeat itself, you might see a new Food director in the near future.

I live in a very nice upscale Assisted Living in Georgia and pay very hefty rent each month. I have lived here for over two years. Usual everyday problems come an go and eventually get solved. But the one problem that will never be solved is Dining Services.

I have seen four different Food Directors while living here. The present one has been here about six months. Her previous employer was a Juvenile Detention Center.đŸ„ș She is used to feeding teenagers and she wants to keep feeding us the same menu. She is suppose to be follow the corporation guidelines that manage. And she is suppose to take suggestions from the residents. She refuses to listen to us. We a”ways had a weekly food chat before she came. But she somehow convinced management to do it once a month. They just hired a new Executive Director three weeks ago and he seems to let her have free rein also.

I would love to hear from others about their experiences with I call it Institution Dining.

The Food Director is a dictator. I'm sure she didn't have to work very hard to get the Executive Director to listen to her. It's clear that neither of them really cares about how happy or satisfied the residents are; they only care about the bottom line.

It's disgusting the way most of these facilities treat senior citizens, as if they don't know their own minds and are incapable of making their own decisions. All they want you to do is comply without complaint; they expect you to literally choke down whatever it is. Now there's a good little girl, as if you were a child. A word of caution: they have the residents over a barrel in more ways than one. If you ruffle too many feathers or cause problems, they'll drum up a reason to evict you. It happened to my aunt, but that's another story.

My husband and I looked after my aunt for eight years when she was in assisted living and, subsequently, a nursing home.

My aunt was diabetic, and before she took up residence in that facility, she managed her diabetes with a diet alone. She never had to take insulin. The first thing the doctor at the facility did was put her on insulin. Anyone who knows me will tell you I don't just roll over. When need be, I'm more than capable of putting up a fight.

I lost count of the number of times I spoke to the doctor, the head of the dietary department, and the executive director of the facility about her diet. It didn't matter what I said; it fell on deaf ears, and they refused to make any changes to her diet. Not only was she diabetic, she was also gluten-and lactose-intolerant. Unless what they served happened to be naturally gluten-and-lactose-free, there was nothing else offered to her or prepared for her. No wonder she was constantly sick with intestinal distress. They'd just give her drugs to manage the symptoms without concern as to addressing what was actually causing her distress.

She had a small refrigerator in her room, so I was able to bring her things she liked and could eat, but I couldn't provide her with appropriate daily meals, which is what she really needed. It was sad and stressful trying to deal with the whole mess.

Why didn't we just move her? Well, she wasn't furniture, so she had a say as to where she wanted to live. Not to mention, we had already visited seven other assisted living facilities before she settled on this one. I could have moved Mount Rushmore more easily. Cooperative, she wasn't.

The thing is, this problem is rampant. Yes, there are facilities with better food, but location and affordability also have to be taken into consideration. Also, things change. What starts out as good often goes downhill. As it was, I had to drive an hour and a half to get there to check on her because she insisted on staying in a certain area. The whole thing was an ordeal from beginning to end.

And that's my story.

Last edited:
If they think the food is so good at the facility tell them to make all of the staff eat there everyday. No outside food allowed in. Maybe if they had to eat that garbage everyday they would see it is not acceptable for anyone.
At one of the Residents Meetings, I did state that I never did see the Staff eating our meals. At one time they could get the free. Now they have to pay $3.00.

The Food Director is a dictator. I'm sure she didn't have to work very hard to get the Executive Director to listen to her. It's clear that neither of them really cares about how happy or satisfied the residents are; they only care about the bottom line
You have a trump card
You are the bottom line

But you must go to the top
Do yer research
See who/what/where is the top

A word of caution: they have the residents over a barrel in more ways than one. If you ruffle too many feathers or cause problems, they'll drum up a reason to evict you
Gotta go en masse
at least many signatures and/or reps

You have a trump card
You are the bottom line

But you must go to the top

Do yer research
See who/what/where is the top

Gotta go en masse
at least many signatures and/or reps

I went to the top repeatedly, and granted, I didn't have an army behind me when doing so. It's difficult to garner support when there's no one else with the same dietary concerns. There is strength in numbers. Perhaps if there had been a cadre of others with the same problem, we could have gotten somewhere. Actually, being in the trenches trying to deal with these problems is a lot different from spectating.

Sure, the facility is mostly interested in your money, but there's more where that came from because, more often than not, there's a long waiting list of others clamoring to get in. Make enough of the wrong kind of noise, and you're easily replaced. Something to keep in mind when you're rocking the boat.

Sure, the facility is mostly interested in your money, but there's more where that came from because, more often than not, there's a long waiting list of others clamoring to get in
They won't be with a bad enough reputation

Gotta coordinate
Form a committee, a core group

But first;
Talk to all the residents
If the interest is not there
then it's not a worthy cause

Being the chief of food prep in a corporate setting of any kind isn’t likely a coveted job. There’s little status and probably little pay so anyone that is really good will want to go elsewhere. It’s not fair considering how much many of these places charge.

GAlady, if you have a little fridge maybe you could bring in a couple of meals a week just so you know you have something to look forward to. If there’s a microwave for tenant use, you could have get some prepared dinners. It shouldn’t have to be this way.

My dear old friend has been in the nursing home now for 16 months. In that time when she was mentally with it, she would say the food was terrible. When the staff asked her why she won't the food she would say "Because it tastes like sh*t, and they all laugh, but she means it. She has lost a lot of weight now, because of not eating, and they say they have a dietitian to help her, nothing has changed. I sometimes bring her in some KFC Potato and Gravy and she loves it, sometimes with chips. They say she should not be eating chips because she could choke on them.

I told the staff because she has no teeth she can't chew on the Fish Fingers they serve. They don't listen. I bring her in her favourite Cadbury's Chocolate which she loves and they say "It's too rich for her". Wouldn't it be better to die eating your favourite chocolate instead of dog's food
which she gets every day?

My dear old friend has been in the nursing home now for 16 months. In that time when she was mentally with it, she would say the food was terrible. When the staff asked her why she won't the food she would say "Because it tastes like sh*t, and they all laugh, but she means it. She has lost a lot of weight now, because of not eating, and they say they have a dietitian to help her, nothing has changed. I sometimes bring her in some KFC Potato and Gravy and she loves it, sometimes with chips. They say she should not be eating chips because she could choke on them.

I told the staff because she has no teeth she can't chew on the Fish Fingers they serve. They don't listen. I bring her in her favourite Cadbury's Chocolate which she loves and they say "It's too rich for her". Wouldn't it be better to die eating your favourite chocolate instead of dog's food
which she gets every day?
I often took home cooked meals into my Mom's facility. They never gave me any trouble because they knew I knew all of her issues. If patients don't eat, lose weight and get malnourished,it leads to a quick decline in health. Having good healthy food you enjoy makes a big difference in the quality of our everyday lifes.

Blessed, I perfectly agree with you as I used to take my Dad the food he loved. But my friend has always been fussy and nothing seems to please her. Because she has a Colostomy bag sometimes the food just passes swiftly through her system, as with grapes and watermelon, which she likes.

I am sorry you have to pay such high rent and have to eat what looks like less than edible food. I am not one to let things like this go so I would either go to the administrator by myself or take a family member with me and have a nice little chat about her future employment there if the food quality does not improve.

With so many food directors changes there it makes me wonder what if they are having to work with a very low food budget and leave that position because of that fact but either way if your paying high rent the food should be better than what you showed.

Invite the administrator to eat lunch with you and point out the food quality and see what he/she says.

Last edited:
Those places are businesses and are run as such by keeping costs low and income high. Call it corporate greed.

That food looked unappetizing to say the least. I ate better in mess halls.

I suggest you all walk into the manager's office en masse. Get in their faces and get loud. They call it grey power.

Too bad you don't live near here. We have a local TV reporter who loves exposing like situations.

Those places are businesses and are run as such by keeping costs low and income high. Call it corporate greed.

That food looked unappetizing to say the least. I ate better in mess halls.

I suggest you all walk into the manager's office en masse. Get in their faces and get loud. They call it grey power.

Too bad you don't live near here. We have a local TV reporter who loves exposing like situations.
Yes, it is all about he money. They spend a lot of their budget on the dinners where you invite your family in. Of course, those meals are scrumptious. Money for ridiculous decorations and T shirts for Senior staff.

That is ridiculous! Our local senior center has lunches 5 days a week for people over 60. The food looks much better with greater diversity and bigger portions.

This would alarm me. I prepare most of my meals at home using the ‘from scratch’ method. Doing so has allowed me to shed over 20 pounds and keep it off. All without going hungry, drinking canned food drinks, buying expensive premade meals, etc. Just Eat Real Food. Oh, I did cut way back on sugar and highly processed carbs, also. It’s easier to do that if you don’t buy processed food from the store. So, I would be very careful about the food any care center offered me. Very careful. IMO, over processed badly prepared food is the cause of many of our health issues. Read the book Metabolical.

Sunday is my sweets day. I allow myself two helping of something sweet. I take great care to make sure it is really delicious. I am not going to waste my sugar calories on junk food!!! :oops:

Last edited:
That is ridiculous! Our local senior center has lunches 5 days a week for people over 60. The food looks much better with greater diversity and bigger portions.

This would alarm me. I prepare most of my meals at home using the ‘from scratch’ method. Doing so has allowed me to shed over 20 pounds and keep it off. All without going hungry, drinking canned food drinks, buying expensive premade meals, etc. Just Eat Real Food. Oh, I did cut way back on sugar and highly processed carbs, also. It’s easire to do that if you don’t buy processed food from the store.

Sunday is my sweets day. I allow myself two helping of something sweet. I take great care to make sure it is really delicious. I am not going to waste my sugar calories on junk food!!! :oops:
We get lots of junk food, cold cut processed sandwiches, hot dogs, cheap pizzas, potato chips. Lots of carbs..rice and more rice, lots of pasta. They weigh us every two weeks. Their reasoning is the carbs will keep us fattened up. They run out of milk and juices all the time. It’s takes getting really loud just to keep bananas stocked.

Beverages with meals is another story. Offered is water, tea and kool-aid. I have resolved to making my own jug of Crystal Light and put fresh lemons in it.

Desserts are mostly pudding, jello and little cups of ice cream.

Today lunch was pretty good
roast beef, roasted potatoes, cabbage and red cake. They can do it right sometimes. I forgot to get a picture. Then tonight, we had to wait 30 minutes for a chicken salad sandwich, three long pickle spears and fresh cantaloupe. Was not very tasty. I do not understand the food director’s fascination with raw vegetables. Picture below.

8DA5CC65-9422-4F58-97F7-78CD8E7D8F00.jpeg

I am happy you got a tasty lunch. I am guessing that is the main meal of the day and they do so called easy things for dinner. Chicken or tuna salad can make a very good meal provided they are done right with lots of added chopped veggies that are standard for most.

They could also have toasted the bread, added lettuce and tomato to make it appetizing. Cold meals are okay but they should have given a side of some sort of salad. I just don't get it, you live in the south. Seniors here really like potato, macaroni, pasta salads. I would not have been pleased with what they have given you.

I don’t have pictures, but lunch was fair
..A slice of processed turkey, cornbread dressing and collards. only could eat half of the collards, half was hard stalks. Dessert was thawed out red velvet cake. Supper was edible but sparse. Grilled cheese sandwich, one slice of tomato and small bowl of blueberries.??? It was suppose to be mixed fresh fruit. I am talking to the Executive Director in the morning and show him more pictures. If he doesn’t listen, I am going to the corporation’s district office.

I know you pay dearly to live there. The food is not what it should be and I have heard this as a complaint before. The people who run these places have keeping their job and the corporate owners happy as their top priority. You all deserve better.

Who regulates these places? Is there an ombudsman that can be contacted. Is there anything posted at the place you live. In nursing homes, the ombudsman information is required to be posted with large posters.

OMG! I feel sorry for you guys GAlady! I would think this would fall under the category of the right to not be neglected. That doesn't even look like large enough food portions for one thing. Y'all need to sign some sort of proper complaint form or something. Call state surveyors.

Maybe this will help:
SeniorCare.com

Back