How is your day Today, plans and achievements 2024....

Had my surgery yesterday. As is typical had to get to hospital at the Crack of dawn then had to wait for two hours on the gurney before they took me in to the operating room. I only got to "four" before anesthesia got me. Doc said he thinks he got it all but won't know for sure until the lab results come back. I got a dose of chemo before they got me ready to go home.

So far no pain to speak of. Now I wait for the post op meeting with the doc next week.
Llynn, I hope you recover well without much pain. Not a fun day for you to put it mildly. 💐

@hollydolly -- I get splinters all the time when working in the garden, building another doghouse with plywood, or from the wooden handle of a wheel barrow. This is how I take care of splinters, but not everyone may like the way I remove them.

My nail clipper has a very sharp tip. It's relatively easy to cut away skin till the splinter becomes visible. Often it's a little bit more complicated then my words suggest. Sometimes it even starts bleeding. Sometimes a needle or some squeezing helps. If it comes to the worst, I'll leave it overnight till yellow puss surrounds the splinter, and then the splinter is easily squeezed out. Last and most importantly, after the splinter has been removed, I keep the wound covered with Neosporin or generic antibiotic to prevent the wound from becoming infected.

My wife helps me sometimes. In the worst case scenario, I'll drive seven miles to my daughter's house. She is an RN Nurse working at a hospital. I never in my life went to an ER for a splinter although I went there on other occasions, like when I broke up a dog fight and needed two dozen stitches in my left arm. Another time, I cut with an electric skill saw across my left thumb and needed stitches. Yes, I was a few times at the hospital.

There is one ER visit that I will NEVER forget: when I worked in my shed, my toddler suddenly smelled like paint thinner, and I saw the bottle flipped over. I panicked, for whatever reason thinking that she had drank some paint thinner. I drove like a maniac through several red traffic lights and had cars honking at me. When I arrived at the hospital ER, they didn't think it was an emergency. First they let me wait for an hour, and then they gave my baby a bath and send me home. No, I didn't feel like a fool because my nerves were far too shattered.

And another ER visit I will never forget. When I was skiing at Lake Tahoe in 1970, I flipped over backwards on a moguled downhill course and barely could get up. An X-Ray at the ER showed that I had crushed my fifth vertebra. The doctor talked with me for an hour about skiing and ended up saying that I just have to learn living with it. When I saw later on TV that this doctor took care of the U.S. Winter Olympic Team, then I started trusting his advice a little bit more. And the hefty bill talking with me about skiing was luckily picked up by my health insurance. After some fifty years, I still have difficulties standing upright for more than a few minutes although I can walk for hours.

My Mom told me that as a newborn baby, on the way home from the hospital, I fell out of the car that gave me a flat spot on my skull. I think it was a premonition of things to come. I could have died several times in my live, but God and my mother in heaven saved me each time.

View attachment 343992View attachment 343993
I have to admit, I love doing at home surgery. If DH gets a splinter I perk up and go get all my "tools".

Took a 2.3 mile walk this AM; it was only 77 degrees when I left but I'm back home and GLOWING. the cool-down period is taking as long as the walk, lol

Did the every-six-weeks drain routine (kitchen, tub) and am making some of my cinnamon/ginger "tea".

It's supposed to rain all weekend; bring it on, I say. My yard is gasping.

Took a 2.3 mile walk this AM; it was only 77 degrees when I left but I'm back home and GLOWING. the cool-down period is taking as long as the walk, lol

Did the every-six-weeks drain routine (kitchen, tub) and am making some of my cinnamon/ginger "tea".

It's supposed to rain all weekend; bring it on, I say. My yard is gasping.
You can have some of our rain CS... it's been raining solidly since the storm last night.. and it's 4pm now...

I'm not feeling 100% today... so I've pretty much done nothing at all. I get filled with angst when I don't do something...housework, whatever.. but today I just am telling myself I need to just take today off and deal with whatever is making me feel a little bit under the weather...

Last edited:
Fed. Up. With. Every. Freaking. Thing.

Tired of being invisible. Ignored. Gaslit.

Day started off with a bang. Got to the bakery department where it looked like somebody must have made an announcement to evacuate immediately. Trash not emptied, cardboard not taken to compactor, floor not washed, work table not cleaned and sanitized...all things that are required to be done by the person who has the last shift. Yesterday that was NL.

There were three boxes of cookie dough left on the work table. Um. They start out frozen and have to be used before they thaw. Left out all night. There were three racks of cookies and three racks of breads and pastries that had been baked but not packaged or even covered, just left out in the open in the bakery.

I did the only sensible thing I could think of. I sat down on a bucket and cried.

Sir said that NL called him last night around 8 but didn't mention anything about what was left undone or why.

What?

We had suits visiting yesterday from early in the morning until 2pm. Of course, everybody was scrambling to do as they were told, fix this, arrange that, ad infinitum. Suits were through "touring" the store around 11, then called all supervisors and department managers into a meeting that lasted until 2.

Keep in mind that Sir started yesterday morning at 4 so was already into two hours of OT and had to leave per company policy. NL told him not to worry, she'd finish up. What she did instead was bake three racks of cookies...the ones that were left unpackaged and uncovered, and I might add, that weren't even needed.

To top off the mess, the hand-held computer that we use was left out instead of being returned to the charging station and was dead.

Again, what?

All that undone cleanup, packaging, labeling, shelving? Put me behind by more than two hours. I couldn't even bake breads or pastries or croissants because there weren't any unused trays or racks so had to package everything first to free them up.

There's more, but you get the idea. So much for adjusting my attitude.

DD and I planned to do Walmarting this afternoon after she got home from taking DGD to doc appt. I fell asleep. She texted that she was tired and didn't think she'd make it. Remember, I was sleeping. I woke up around 2 and saw that there were two texts...first saying it was a no-go, second saying never mind, we could go.

Fine. Did Walmarting. I have a card from Kaiser for $150/quarter limited to healthy foods because of my medical "conditions."
Scanned healthy foods but card wasn't honored. Swiped a second time. Nope. Just paid cash for my stuff because I wasn't gonna stand there and fight about it and make a scene. (Checked when I got home. Yup. $79.27 balance left on it.)

Then DD starts telling me I must have used it and forgot. No. I didn't. Then she insisted that the last time we Walmarted, I'd used it all. No. I didn't. Next up was that Kaiser no longer pays for nutrition drinks (like Ensure). Wrong.

Every. Freaking. Thing. Is. An. Argument. An insistence that I forgot or that something was said that really wasn't or that I didn't tell her something. Or whatever.

I'm not a forgetful old lady. I'm old. Leave out lady and forgetful.

The sun could be bright and shiny and beating down, temp could be -20F but if I said so, I'd be wrong. I'm tired of always being wrong, no matter how large or small a thing, I'm wrong.

Rant over. I'm gonna go crawl in a hole and pull the hole in after me.

Fed. Up. With. Every. Freaking. Thing.

Tired of being invisible. Ignored. Gaslit.

Day started off with a bang. Got to the bakery department where it looked like somebody must have made an announcement to evacuate immediately. Trash not emptied, cardboard not taken to compactor, floor not washed, work table not cleaned and sanitized...all things that are required to be done by the person who has the last shift. Yesterday that was NL.

There were three boxes of cookie dough left on the work table. Um. They start out frozen and have to be used before they thaw. Left out all night. There were three racks of cookies and three racks of breads and pastries that had been baked but not packaged or even covered, just left out in the open in the bakery.

I did the only sensible thing I could think of. I sat down on a bucket and cried.

Sir said that NL called him last night around 8 but didn't mention anything about what was left undone or why.

What?

We had suits visiting yesterday from early in the morning until 2pm. Of course, everybody was scrambling to do as they were told, fix this, arrange that, ad infinitum. Suits were through "touring" the store around 11, then called all supervisors and department managers into a meeting that lasted until 2.

Keep in mind that Sir started yesterday morning at 4 so was already into two hours of OT and had to leave per company policy. NL told him not to worry, she'd finish up. What she did instead was bake three racks of cookies...the ones that were left unpackaged and uncovered, and I might add, that weren't even needed.

To top off the mess, the hand-held computer that we use was left out instead of being returned to the charging station and was dead.

Again, what?

All that undone cleanup, packaging, labeling, shelving? Put me behind by more than two hours. I couldn't even bake breads or pastries or croissants because there weren't any unused trays or racks so had to package everything first to free them up.

There's more, but you get the idea. So much for adjusting my attitude.

DD and I planned to do Walmarting this afternoon after she got home from taking DGD to doc appt. I fell asleep. She texted that she was tired and didn't think she'd make it. Remember, I was sleeping. I woke up around 2 and saw that there were two texts...first saying it was a no-go, second saying never mind, we could go.

Fine. Did Walmarting. I have a card from Kaiser for $150/quarter limited to healthy foods because of my medical "conditions."
Scanned healthy foods but card wasn't honored. Swiped a second time. Nope. Just paid cash for my stuff because I wasn't gonna stand there and fight about it and make a scene. (Checked when I got home. Yup. $79.27 balance left on it.)

Then DD starts telling me I must have used it and forgot. No. I didn't. Then she insisted that the last time we Walmarted, I'd used it all. No. I didn't. Next up was that Kaiser no longer pays for nutrition drinks (like Ensure). Wrong.

Every. Freaking. Thing. Is. An. Argument. An insistence that I forgot or that something was said that really wasn't or that I didn't tell her something. Or whatever.

I'm not a forgetful old lady. I'm old. Leave out lady and forgetful.

The sun could be bright and shiny and beating down, temp could be -20F but if I said so, I'd be wrong. I'm tired of always being wrong, no matter how large or small a thing, I'm wrong.

Rant over. I'm gonna go crawl in a hole and pull the hole in after me.
Sorry GG. 😒 I would have cried too.
Did you try and put ice cream on your Kaiser card? Kidding, kidding!

Some days are better left to yesterday, tomorrow today will be over. May tomorrow go much, much better.

That's all I've got. Some days just suck..period.

Our delayed morning walk

Ocean fog rolled in during the night, as it is quite common at this time of the year. At daybreak we had drizzle, and it was cool and uncomfortable outside. My big guy is now a senior and doesn't like go walking anymore unless the sun is shining. So, we waited till early in the afternoon when the sun had burned off the fog, and then we admired the splendor of Mother Nature.

IMGP3540.JPGIMGP3571.JPG

Without my loyal buddies, I would not have the energy to go walking every day. They are also my protection. When we walk four abreast, then everyone gets out of our way. Sheriff Deputies on motorcycles stop the traffic to let us safely cross the road, while deputies in cars wave their hands at my well-behaving pups. So many people smile at us and insist on petting my pups. Dogs are great socializers. Most people love them.

IMGP3572.JPGIMGP3575.JPGIMGP3566.JPG

Last edited:
Bedtime. All the other kids are out playing hopscotch and stickball and Captain May I, but I have to go to bed when it's still daylight:(
No you don't...you only go to bed in the daylight because you want the money...for extras... so come on where's that stiff upper lip ?

In the meantime, take a phone or camera if you don't have a phone and take pictures of every time there's a mess left behind, and show it to the supervisor, and tell him if ever you come into that again, you'll walk straight out.

No you don't...you only go to bed in the daylight because you want the money...for extras... so come on where's that stiff upper lip ?

In the meantime, take a phone or camera if you don't have a phone and take pictures of every time there's a mess left behind, and show it to the supervisor, and tell him if ever you come into that again, you'll walk straight out.
Oh, good idea holly!

And our evening walk.

We are fortunate to be surrounded by large undeveloped areas, starting just a few walking minutes away from our house. On the flipside though, we are zoned as a high fire danger area and that drives up the house insurance. Anyway, it feels like living in the boondocks, yet we are only a short driving distance away from urban shopping conveniences.

We took our evening walk at the height of the wildflower bloom. The mountains were hidden by a haze left over from this morning's blown-in ocean fog. Soon everything will be sunburned brown. We have a Mediterranean climate: perhaps a foot of rain between December and May, and very little rain if any from May to November. Southern California has a desert climate with most of its water imported from the Colorado River, the Sierra Nevada, and Northern California hundreds of miles away.

IMGP3599.JPGIMGP3546.JPGIMGP3587.JPG

Here horsie, horsie; and they came to investigate. My pups were equally curious. ---- Finally back to "sweet home" after sunset.

IMGP3618.JPGIMGP3626.JPG

Last edited:
~This morning I went online to purchase a gift card for my BFF and paid my monthly Zakat (obligatory charity).
~Went to IHop for breakfast so I could take advantage of my Pancoin rewards. Love the play on words: Pancoins instead of Bitcoins and they are your "investment" in the Stack Market. 😀 That IHop always plays great music and I was boogying in my seat part of the time. I went so early that the place was empty. When my son took me there one evening last year, the music was so good, I wound up dancing with our waitress. :LOL:

~Walked to the Amazon hub to pick up my Skechers sneakers. They are almost as comfortable as the lightweight ones I have, which is what I was hoping for. But I’m a bit disappointed because there’s no bling like on two of my other Skechers.
~ Danced around the house to son's House Music mix while doing chores.

~Changed the cat litter (emptied the litter box and washed it out).
~Swept and wet Swiffered the bathroom floor.

Last edited:
And our evening walk.

We are fortunate to be surrounded by large undeveloped areas, starting just a few walking minutes away from our house. On the flipside though, we are zoned as a high fire danger area, and that drives up the house insurance. Anyway, it feels like living in the boondocks, yet we are only a short driving distance away from urban shopping conveniences.

We took our evening walk at the height of the wildflower season. Soon everything will be sunburned brown.

View attachment 344160View attachment 344162View attachment 344157

Here horsie, horsie; and they come to investigate. My pups were equally curious. ---- Finally back to "sweet home" after sunset.
View attachment 344159View attachment 344158
I'm a cat person but I enjoy seeing pics of you and your pups on your walks. It seems you have the best of both worlds living in such a wide open space with the views you have, yet being so close to shopping (and hopefully good restaurants too).

Another do nothing day thwarted. As I anticipated, my internet went down at 10:30 am. It went up eventually but I was on the phone with Comcast all day.

Talking to people at Comcast is the definition of being gaslit. All day long. They're contradicting each other and themselves all day. How do they work there without going insane from the lack of reality?

My internet is up at this second but no one can tell me the problem. One says it isn't the modem. Another says it definitely is, or it doesn't matter really because he wants to send me one. He claims he doesn't get commission for that but sounds like more unreality to me.

I agreed to have him call me back. He told me that if he sees that I talked to anyone else in the company before he calls back, he won't call back. Nothing like a little threat to give customer service a good reputation. /s

Expecting more of the same tomorrow. Ugh.

Edit: Right after I hit submit on this post, the internet went down again. I rebooted the modem and got it to run again but can't be doing this all day. On the better side, mobile data on my phone worked. And my offline games that I downloaded worked. I checked out a few other apps I use all the time to make sure they worked, and the ones I use all the time did. Still stressful to be dealing with this somehow.

Last edited:

Back