Is anyone else or has anyone had to deal with their pets long term illness?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I have gone through hell since doggie got sick. I was besides myself and still go there at times. I feel so much for her, poor little innocent creature given this hardship to endure.

Thank God I have mostly gotten it under control with the medicine. I worry about it getting worse as it can and is known as progressive. There are meds to change to if it gets worse.

I feel so sad . Can anyone relateo much anymore but look for the silver lining in this cloud 🌨️.

Can anyone relate or emphasize or share,?

She has a treatable problem with her esophagus. Yes, you both will have todeal with that for the rest of of her life. I would be thankful she has a treatable problem. You have not been forced to make a decision, she will be okay. I only worry if a pet has something that can not be dealt with.

I know it is hard, stressful for both of you but the alternative would be much worse. I am sure she will require a lot of check ups for her condition. You may want to check with the vet and see if there is a payment plan to make things easier financially. I have done this in the past, just put a little each ,month toward her care. It makes it so much easier, if something happens you will have the funds right there to take care of her.

Yes. My last dog was diagnosed with Addison's disease when she was 5 years old. She more or less collapsed one day when we were out for a walk. Took her straight to the vet where she was put on a drip for 24 hours. After that she had a daily tablet and I had to give her a small amount of salt with her meals. Once a month she had to have her electrolytes tested and medication adjusted if necessary. She went on to live until she was almost 15 years old. I still miss her and decided against having anymore dogs after that. Instead I look after my son's dog during the week and thoroughly enjoy it.

She is no where worth eunsnizing. I feel insulted even hearing someone hinting at this. She is fine and I am caring for her nonstop and I will as long as she is not suffering.

I have paid my vet bill and am looking for another vet to help me with her teeth. Meanwhile I got something to help her teeth and gums.

I'm doing as best as I can and keeping a good eye on this situation. All's I'm saying is that it's hard and sad.

Yes. My last dog was diagnosed with Addison's disease when she was 5 years old. She more or less collapsed one day when we were out for a walk. Took her straight to the vet where she was put on a drip for 24 hours. After that she had a daily tablet and I had to give her a small amount of salt with her meals. Once a month she had to have her electrolytes tested and medication adjusted if necessary. She went on to live until she was almost 15 years old. I still miss her and decided against having anymore dogs after that. Instead I look after my son's dog during the week and thoroughly enjoy it.
Awwe...thanks.. you've been so brave!

She has a treatable problem with her esophagus. Yes, you both will have todeal with that for the rest of of her life. I would be thankful she has a treatable problem. You have not been forced to make a decision, she will be okay. I only worry if a pet has something that can not be dealt with.

I know it is hard, stressful for both of you but the alternative would be much worse. I am sure she will require a lot of check ups for her condition. You may want to check with the vet and see if there is a payment plan to make things easier financially. I have done this in the past, just put a little each ,month toward her care. It makes it so much easier, if something happens you will have the funds right there to take care of her.
Its not her esophagus but rather her teaches or windpipe . Yes it is treatable but it can also progress and be fatal. We are doing our best to treat it and also considering further treatment if and when it gets worse

It hurts me to think about what she is going through but I am right on helping her

Thanks for your message 😊

I can so relate Ruthanne. Amy was diagnosed with heart disease in June and every time we are at the vet her heart murmur is worse. She’s on medication but the longest a dog can live is 3 years and half of dogs at her stage of diagnosis are dead at 2 years.

My favorite dog Cassie only lived 8 months after diagnosis and had just turned 11. Amy just turned 10. It’s heartbreaking. My life revolves around her medication because for it to work her stomach has to be empty for 12 hours and she takes it twice a day. I have to give it to her at 4 am and 4 pm.

My beloved little schnoodle had epilepsy for the last two years of her life.

After a bad seizure, she might lose the use of her back legs for a day or two, suffer from blindness, or worst of all, walk in circles endlessly until she dropped of exhaustion. She might not know us for days, she was so confused and "lost".

She was on the maximum of meds she could take, the vet didn't know how she was still alive.

When she was in one of her bad states, all I could do was wrap her in a towel and hold her tightly.

It wasn't a life for her. Attacks were coming every few days and sometimes she didn't recover from them before the next attack.

It was time. We are the guardians of these special little souls and we must do what is best for them. I did what I think she would choose if she had the ability to choose.

We said goodbye and held her til she was gone.

I've never had another dog since then....almost 46 years.

I can so relate Ruthanne. Amy was diagnosed with heart disease in June and every time we are at the vet her heart murmur is worse. She’s on medication but the longest a dog can live is 3 years and half of dogs at her stage of diagnosis are dead at 2 years.

My favorite dog Cassie only lived 8 months after diagnosis and had just turned 11. Amy just turned 10. It’s heartbreaking. My life revolves around her medication because for it to work her stomach has to be empty for 12 hours and she takes it twice a day. I have to give it to her at 4 am and 4 pm.
Thanks for your message. It's good to know I'm not alone in caring for my Furbaby. I'm sorry for what you are going through. It is hard giving meds 4 or five times a day. I set the alarm on my phone in case I fall asleep. These little Furbabys do hold such a special place in our hearts 💕 I'm also sorry for your loss. Take care,,

Ruth❣️🌍🌹

The worst was when I rescued 4 dogs that all were within 4 years of each other. They all got old and Cassie was on 4 different meds that had to be administered in different ways 4 times a day. I had just retired and could barely leave the house. The others just needed meds once a day. It was a lot but I loved them all.

The worst was when I rescued 4 dogs that all were within 4 years of each other. They all got old and Cassie was on 4 different meds that had to be administered in different ways 4 times a day. I had just retired and could barely leave the house. The others just needed meds once a day. It was a lot but I loved them all.
You knew you were saving their lives. All of them would have been put down without people like you!! It is hard work, some people say it is just a dog or a cat. No, it is a living thing with their own personality, their own fears. They just want to have a safe home and love to thrive. I admire the kindness and hard work you gave to give them that peace.

@Michael Z, I am so sorry that you went through this. These animals that are so much a part of our lives are faced with illness and death as they age. We are worth the love and care of families. So are they, they give so much and ask for so little. I hope you understand that animals like humans get old, sick, need care and support. That does not mean you should not have another pet if it is important to your emotional well being.

I have 3 dogs. They are so much to me since I have been on my own. Yes, I fear the day I have to let them go but I thank God everyday for their love and devotion to me.

Blessed, you really understand. For 20 years I always had 4 rescues. Now I live in a condo and can only have two. I have snuck in a few that needed homes which made 3 but luckily I was able to find them a good home fairly quickly.

Now that I’m divorced finances are also a consideration as vets have gotten as expensive as California since we border them. A dental with no extractions are 1k.

I have gone through hell since doggie got sick. I was besides myself and still go there at times. I feel so much for her, poor little innocent creature given this hardship to endure.

Thank God I have mostly gotten it under control with the medicine. I worry about it getting worse as it can and is known as progressive. There are meds to change to if it gets worse.

I feel so sad . Can anyone relateo much anymore but look for the silver lining in this cloud 🌨️.

I tend to see it like @Naturally, every living thing dies. Since we are their guardians we must speak for them about when enough is enough where suffering and the realistic chance of real recovery are concerned. I call it "sticking the landing". I hope to do it for myself too but I'll probably be incapacitated when my time comes and have to depend on others to look out for my best interests. Meanwhile I so that for my dogs.

Our first herding dog was an Australian Shepherd named Fletcher who had epilepsy and frightful seizures. He ended up dying of congestive heart failure like so many of us will and went peacefully lying beside me on the couch one day at 14 years, 2 months. He had a wonderful life and a very good death too. I should be so lucky.

Blessed, you really understand. For 20 years I always had 4 rescues. Now I live in a condo and can only have two. I have snuck in a few that needed homes which made 3 but luckily I was able to find them a good home fairly quickly.

Now that I’m divorced finances are also a consideration as vets have gotten as expensive as California since we border them. A dental with no extractions are 1k.

I understand, as far as fostering here the costs of vet care is covered by the organization that sponsors the pet to make sure they have the care they need. The only requirement is food and love, I could do that. I know about that dental, I have two that need a cleaning. They are my pets so that is my responsibility, I told the vet I am saving to have it done, he understands that costs have risen to a point that is hard for us seniors on income.

There may come a time that I have to take them to the city clinic for routine vaccines, heartworm test and medication. I have done this in the past, one of our local vets sponsers this program and it is open to all. The sad fact is that is hard for an old lady to take 3 dogs, on her own for treatment.

One of mine is big, 90lbs, and wants to run everywhere and play with everyone. Even now I have to have my son come help or I have to go into the vet and have them come help me get him out of the car. He loves to to go in the car but if I get him out of the car, he wants to run. He is such a good boy, he does mind in the car and will wait patiently until someone gets him out. Then, lord help me, I have to wait until I am in the garage to get him out.

One of my cats had cancer, another had diabetes with shots every day and my last cat had kidney disease. I felt so bad about them and cried and cried when the end came. I love animals and hate to see them with long term diseases and any kind of suffering.

I'm sorry to hear that Ruthanne, what is her condition? Hugs and love from me for your Suzy. I know you're sad and worried, hard not to be when our furbabies are sickly. I don't push anyone to euthanize, they usually know when their dog wants to end the suffering. Although heartbreaking and sad, the owner feels better that they did the right thing. Our babies depend on us to help them and make those hard decisions.

I had a dog who was dying from cancer, the vet had her on some medications but advised against putting her through the pain and stress of chemo and radiation treatments, as it would only buy her a few more months at best. When she no longer ate or drank and was lethargic and sad, we talked to the vet and decided it was the time to let her go.

I had a girl Schnauzer who developed Idiopathic Epilepsy, she had severe Gran Mal seizures on a daily basis. She would have cluster seizures also, one after the other until she was exhausted. She was very fearful after all of her seizures, and she had hip dysplasia so she whimpered when struggling to stand afterwards.

She was hallucinating before her seizures, we could usually see when another one was coming on. She was on a lot of medications, and was usually out of it, walked around like a zombie, not really aware of what was going on. Enough was enough, and we put her out of her misery.

My old dog Hans developed an auto-immune disease which had his blood cells attacking each other, he would have needed repeated blood transfusions to stay alive, and the vet said he was too old and unwell to survive that.

Although on medications, he continued to go downhill until he had no quality of life left, he just would cling to me for comfort and security. It is truly heartbreaking to have to let them go, but they depend on us to make the best decision for them. If I am very sick and need to be in a nursing home, I would rather go peacefully on my own terms instead of continuing the suffering.

My last sweet dog who I said the final goodbye to in October also developed an auto-immune disease, there were signs of cancer/lymphoma, his organs were swollen at one point and he had kidney damage.

He was only eight years old and I was in and out of the vets with him all the time, ultrasounds, x-rays, tests, bloodwork, IV drips, and numerous medications and antibiotics. High dose Prednisone was the only thing keeping him eating, or he dropped weight quickly where you could see his hip bones, spine, etc. He could no longer go on even short walks with me, he was too weak.

I threw the ball for him in the yard on a day he brought it to me, he hadn't touched it in a long time. I threw it a short distance, he turned sharply and tore his ACL, could not put any weight on that leg. They said they could not operate to fix the knee, because of the medications he was on and his poor health condition. After a while, the medicine stopped working, he would not eat and was vomiting repeatedly even when drinking a bit of water. In the end he was miserable, could not stand on his own or walk. I was lifting him and carrying him just to bring him out to potty. We had an in-home euthanasia.

Wishing the best for Suzy, my best advice for you is just to keep her close and love her. Know that you're not alone, and a lot of us care and can sympathize with what you're going through.....hugs.

My beloved little schnoodle had epilepsy for the last two years of her life.

After a bad seizure, she might lose the use of her back legs for a day or two, suffer from blindness, or worst of all, walk in circles endlessly until she dropped of exhaustion. She might not know us for days, she was so confused and "lost".

She was on the maximum of meds she could take, the vet didn't know how she was still alive.

When she was in one of her bad states, all I could do was wrap her in a towel and hold her tightly.

It wasn't a life for her. Attacks were coming every few days and sometimes she didn't recover from them before the next attack.

It was time. We are the guardians of these special little souls and we must do what is best for them. I did what I think she would choose if she had the ability to choose.

We said goodbye and held her til she was gone.

I've never had another dog since then....almost 46 years.
So sorry for your loss.

Both of my cats died from progressive illnesses. Both required meds for months toward the end, and special diets.

The toughest part is deciding when to put them to sleep. It's devastating. I found some good advice online from a Veterinarian which basically added up to, "Do they have more good hours of the day than bad ones? If the bad hours of the day are far more than the good ones, it's time to let them go. Or, if they are obviously in pain, which is very tough to tell on cats because they hide it instinctively, it's time to let them go."

My cats were probably genetic cousins because their faces looked similar and were rescue cats from the same general area, so they probably shared great-grandads somewhere along the line of un-neutered males in the area. (FIX YOUR CATS, PEOPLE!) They were good buddies to one another and to me.

I won't get another cat because I rent and it's tough to find a new rental, if I decide to, when you have pets. I'm also a bit allergic to long-hair cats, so it's actually better for my sinuses if I don't have them. But I love cats and kittens.

One of the reasons I did not want another dog. They go downhill so fast and you watch them suffer. Our little shelty had this cough for many months that we were able to control somewhat with meds and then one night she could not stop coughing. In the middle of the night I watched her die.
That's heartbreaking to watch your pet die. I have too many times. Well they are at peace now. I'd like to think they are all in heaven and I will see them again.❣️

Yes. Chloe (cat) with diabetes for over 11 years. She lived to 18 and went very quickly from lymphoma. Her diabetes treatment was not a problem at the time, including financially. She was mainly very stable.

Now my tabby has had intermittent blood in her urine. All tests including an abdominal ultrasound are negative. I won't allow any further testing. Other than a repeat ultrasound. She acts fine. Lots of energy. Blood work showed no anemia.

Calico has inflammatory bowel disease. Stabilized with prednisone and diet change. At least it wasn't lymphoma. My calico knows when I'm going to give her the vitamin B12 shot every month. Chloe never knew the needles. I have decided if my calico gets diabetes, I won't treat her. I won't put her or me through the stress. They will be 13 next month.

It's very individual and people need to do what they feel is best.

Back