Songs from your generation that your parents also enjoyed.

MarkinPhx

When I was a kid my parents were very conservative and very reluctant to change. I know that my father once told my oldest sister that the Beatles were just a fad when they first hit it big in the US. So they did not embrace much of the music my older sister's enjoyed and the music I listened to as I got older. As time went on , they did enjoy artists such as the Carpenters and John Denver but for the most part couldn't connect to the music that my sister's and I listened to. There were exceptions though.

After my parents bought a house and moved us off Gramp's dairy, I think one of their biggest regrets is that us kids had time to listen to music.

They were from the 30s and 40s. Any commonalities their music had with ours was unnoticeable.

I actually liked some of their music better than some of ours. I liked a lot of the Big Bands of the 40s. Still do.

My parents liked the Beach Boys.

My father was a radio personality in San Francisco in the 1930s/40s/and very early 1950s. So, he brought hundreds of the old 78 rpm records home that were no longer being used at the radio station where he worked. My favorites were, "Rose Rose I Love You" by Frankie Laine and "How High the Moon" by Les Paul and Mary Ford.

My mother always had the wireless on.. she was a teen in the early 50'.. in her 30's in the 60's... she enjoyed Tom Jones.. and much of the popular music of the day in the early 60's..but not the Beatles or Rolling stones.... but she loved Jim Reeves.

Every time I hear a JR song I think of my mum...

Aw. My parents both liked Tom Jones very much. He had a successful tv show so his music really took off in America around that time. My parents liked Neil Diamond too. They didn't hate young people's music on principle or anything like that.

Aw. My parents both liked Tom Jones very much. He had a successful tv show so his music really took off in America around that time. My parents liked Neil Diamond too. They didn't hate young people's music on principle or anything like that.
Tom is a Welshman from the UK, so he was a huge sensation when he came onto the scene, and every radio station played his music back then.... :D

My husband says his mother loved The Carpenters and mine probably did, too. I just wasn't around my parents much after I was 18 so I don't know.

My father listened to music on the radio all the time while he worked and he had played in a band while he was young. He had a Dinah Shore album so he must have liked her, and he did a fairly funny imitation of Bob Dylan so I know he didn't like him.

My brothers and I really couldn't afford to buy many records, but my oldest brother had gone to New York and spent an evening at the Apollo theatre and came home with a James Brown album that we kids almost wore out. I can only imagine what my parents thought of that one.

My fathers favorite song:

this takes me back to a time when I didn't really exist for a while and then I did - I probably heard it from time to time from Ma and Pa and then recently caught the Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffiths [ what a gorgeous actress she was but also doomed to misery?] recent film - it always sorta haunts me about me beginning and start in life before things all changed!

My mother liked the early Beatles.(the love songs)
My mom was a fan of Dion DiMucci. When Dion and The Belmonts sang the song “Where or When” she said to turn up the radio. Mom told me that she danced to that song at the USO club when dad was in Korea.

After she heard that song, she became a Dion fan.

I also wanted to add that she said the song was a remake from the version she heard years before, but she thought Dion sang it better.

I don't think my father was into music. My mother listened to gospel songs but didn't even do that often. I was the one into music.
same as my father, I never heard him listen to music, or even sing a song.

OTOH my paternal Grandmother..loved music, she kept up with all the latest chart hits, she'd sing them, she'd have music evenings at her home, she'd play the harmonica at her old people club, and on their coach trips.. to entertain them.

She was always interested in buying the Disco 45 which was the magazine when I was a teen that came out fortnightly , with the printed lyrics of all the latest chart songs.. ..but she loved the old songs too.. and she had a passion for a Scottish folk singer called Sydney Devine, and she kept up a correspondence with him.

Even when I was little she would teach me his songs, and have me sing them in front of everyone at family get togethers.. I still cringe at the thought :D

Back