Strange occurrence, what does it mean?

C50

Yesterday I was in my barn when an old friend called, so I sat down in a chair and we started talking. Across the barn from me is some lumber stacked up with a couple shorter boards leaning against the back wall, lumber has been there for a week. As I'm sitting there one of the boards leaning against the wall tipped forward and fell to the floor, I literally watched it happen. It was an oak board about 16" wide and 4' long, made a loud enough smack my buddy asked "what the heck was that?"

No wind, barn doors and windows were closed, no movement, I was sitting still and the barn cat was laying by my feet, and the boards had been untouched for a week.

Common sense tells me the board must have been right at the tipping point and expansion of the barn wall from heat moved it enough to tip, that's really the best I can come up with. Or a spirit, of who or what I don't know. Kind of neat to be sitting right there and witness an odd occurrence.

Paranormal or ?

Yesterday I was in my barn when an old friend called, so I sat down in a chair and we started talking. Across the barn from me is some lumber stacked up with a couple shorter boards leaning against the back wall, lumber has been there for a week. As I'm sitting there one of the boards leaning against the wall tipped forward and fell to the floor, I literally watched it happen. It was an oak board about 16" wide and 4' long, made a loud enough smack my buddy asked "what the heck was that?"

No wind, barn doors and windows were closed, no movement, I was sitting still and the barn cat was laying by my feet, and the boards had been untouched for a week.

Common sense tells me the board must have been right at the tipping point and expansion of the barn wall from heat moved it enough to tip, that's really the best I can come up with. Or a spirit, of who or what I don't know. Kind of neat to be sitting right there and witness an odd occurrence.

Paranormal or ?
Could have been a mouse nudged it then ran off?

Could have been a mouse nudged it then ran off?
No way, I have very effective barn cats, I haven't seen a mouse in the barn in years.

I think what made it strange was because of who I was speaking to on the phone. He was my best buddy as teens but then we lost touch after graduation, didn't speak for close to forty years. This was our second time speaking and we were discussing our parents and the good and bad influences they had on our young lives and BANG the boards falls over. I think one of our dads was pissed! (not really, I don't much believe in that stuff, but it's fun to imagine)

No way, I have very effective barn cats, I haven't seen a mouse in the barn in years.

I think what made it strange was because of who I was speaking to on the phone. He was my best buddy as teens but then we lost touch after graduation, didn't speak for close to forty years. This was our second time speaking and we were discussing our parents and the good and bad influences they had on our young lives and BANG the boards falls over. I think one of our dads was pissed! (not really, I don't much believe in that stuff, but it's fun to imagine)
Well, I believe in spirits and think that many are around us everyday in good times and in bad. To me, it’s more than coincidence

@C50 , Is it possible it was from a slight tremor that you didn't feel?
If it continues, contact me in a private conversation. I'm not an expert. My solution is not typically what you hear or read. I learned personally from the school of hard knocks, so to speak. But I'm willing to share what I know if it can be helpful.

@C50 , Is it possible it was from a slight tremor that you didn't feel?
If it continues, contact me in a private conversation. I'm not an expert. My solution is not typically what you hear or read. I learned personally from the school of hard knocks, so to speak. But I'm willing to share what I know if it can be helpful.
Tremors are rare around this area and I didn't hear reports of any happening. Nothing has happened since so I chalk it up as an interesting mystery.

I don't know what happened in your case... but from my own experience, it's always just coincidence. We have a storage room directly above my office and sometimes things just fall over up there for no reason after not having been moved/touched for weeks. Never really bothered me to wonder what causes it because it's always happened and I don't recall ever wondering if it was something creepy.
The earth tremors constantly whether or not there's an earthquake.

https://www.ibtimes.com/earth-constantly-vibrating-even-when-there-arent-earthquakes-2625462

I'm thinking vibration or wind?

Maybe one of the green lid organizers slipped and that jostled the boards enough to fall.

I don't know what happened in your case... but from my own experience, it's always just coincidence. We have a storage room directly above my office and sometimes things just fall over up there for no reason after not having been moved/touched for weeks. Never really bothered me to wonder what causes it because it's always happened and I don't recall ever wondering if it was something creepy.
The earth tremors constantly whether or not there's an earthquake.

https://www.ibtimes.com/earth-constantly-vibrating-even-when-there-arent-earthquakes-2625462
Earth tremors is a logical guess for sure.
Another thing to consider is that the shed or garage is made of wood which shrinks and expands depending on the weather.

Plus I doubt, they would do anything for free.
There was a decades-long period when there was a parapsychology department at Duke University (USA). The main activity was controlled experiments, in ESP, under lab conditions. J.B. Rhine headed the department. Some of his assistants did field work, cautiously & carefully checking out strange occurrences & writing reports on them. They were salaried staff people of the university, so did not require or accept payment from individuals outside the university.

There are books about this, and I remember a particularly good one. Can't think of the title at the moment, but I could easily check it.

I know nothing about the field-research situation these days.

There was a decades-long period when there was a parapsychology department at Duke University (USA). The main activity was controlled experiments, in ESP, under lab conditions. J.B. Rhine headed the department. Some of his assistants did field work, cautiously & carefully checking out strange occurrences & writing reports on them. They were salaried staff people of the university, so did not require or accept payment from individuals outside the university.

There are books about this, and I remember a particularly good one. Can't think of the title at the moment, but I could easily check it.

I know nothing about the field-research situation these days.
We had the same type of thing with University of Toronto. I’m not exactly sure how they were paid but know they didn’t work for free.

We had the same type of thing with University of Toronto. I’m not exactly sure how they were paid but know they didn’t work for free.
Patty, the title of the book is Unbelievable, author is Stacy Horn. Well researched, well written (lively style)... open-minded but no "true believer" attitude. Worth finding from a library system, or used-book system, or Kindle.

Back