The Truth, as a basis of reality

Nathan

SF VIP
Definition:
How does truth relate to reality?

Truth is the property of being in accord with fact or reality. In everyday language, truth is typically ascribed to things that aim to represent reality or otherwise correspond to it, such as beliefs, propositions, and declarative sentences. Truth is usually held to be the opposite of falsehood.

Screenshot-20230406-190852.png

There’s absolute truth
There’s relative truth
There’s subjective truth
There’s objective truths and they all have different meanings.

There are no absolute truths in science; there are only approximate truths. Whether a statement, theory, or framework is true or not depends on quantitative factors and how closely you examine or measure the results.

Relative truth is conditional, subjective, varying and contradictory, so it's capable of changing over time. In contrast, absolute truth is consistent and eternal; its meaning is universal and never changing.

Subjective Truth is how the individual sees or experiences the world. (Today is a good day for me.) Complex Truth recognizes the validity of all those truths and allows you to focus on the one is most useful at any given time.

If something is objective, it has correspondence with reality. Objective truth is something that is true for everyone, whether they agree with it or not. At one time this was simply called “truth.”

There’s absolute truth
There’s relative truth
There’s subjective truth
There’s objective truths and they all have different meanings.
Well said, and very true, or relatively true or some kind of true anyway!

I think it is absolutely true that I believe someone calling themself PeppermintPatty posted that. Or I believe it right now anyway...

"...{T}ruth [doesn't] mean anything without someone to share it with; you {can} shout truth into the air forever, and spend your life doing it, if someone {doesn't} come and listen."
~~from Uprooted by Naomi Novik

But most of these courageous individuals don't know it's a lie.

Some courageous individuals I have known have faced difficulties due to specific types of illnesses and, at times, can't help but lie. Their journey and how they navigate and cope with it seem to me to be courageous.

Back