This will be my last move…..where will your last move take you.

MickaC

After a great deal of thought and research…..
My next and last move will take me to 55 plus community complex….in Brandon, Manitoba…..1 hour drive from here.

Victoria Landing Retirement Residence.
https://www.allseniorscare.com

There residents their as young as 56…..there residents there that spend their summer months at Victoria Landing, and go south for the winter.
I will have a one bedroom suite, with walk out patio or balcony.

It is a age in place community, as you age, there is the appropriate care, still include in your rent…..so therefore you wouldn’t have to move.

Pets are very welcome, they are family…..there are now……birds, rabbits, fish, dogs , cats.

It is all inclusive, except if you wish to connect high speed internet, you pay for that……basic tv cable is included, but if you want more channels, you pay for them.

And it DOES NOT SMELL LIKE A CARE HOME OR HOSPITAL…..Thank god……that would turn me off……and the suites and hallways are sound proof…..can hear anything from in the suite or out of the suite in the hallway.

I will list my house early spring 2023…..and go from there.

Had a tour June 23…..was pleased with all.

Looks wonderful. My mother had a 1 bedroom apartment in an assisted living community that included a variety of ages, and she loved living there. This was not only because of the sense of community, but because of the attention she received. I used to have lunch with her and her friends on Saturdays. They were so supportive of one another.

At the present time, I am planning on living in our home until I am no longer able to. I don't rule anything out these days, because I live in the US and... need I say more? We could very well move to another country. Nothing is certain.

Best of luck to you when you make your move!

My next and last move will take me to 55 plus community complex….in Brandon, Manitoba…..1 hour drive from here.

There residents their as young as 56…..there residents there that spend their summer months at Victoria Landing, and go south for the winter.

It is a age in place community, as you age, there is the appropriate care, still include in your rent…..so therefore you wouldn’t have to move.

Pets are very welcome, they are family…..there are now……birds, rabbits, fish, dogs , cats.

It is all inclusive, except if you wish to connect high speed internet, you pay for that……basic tv cable is included, but if you want more channels, you pay for them.

And it DOES NOT SMELL LIKE A CARE HOME OR HOSPITAL…..Thank god……that would turn me off……and the suites and hallways are sound proof…..can hear anything from in the suite or out of the suite in the hallway.

It looks very nice, Micka. I would feel free and cared for in that community! I hope the move goes well for you 🌹

That's the solution, birds, cats, fish, dogs, rabbits so the place won't smell like a hospital. In earlier days, I always had a pet. Now, due to sinus, there is so much I must avoid. Air fresheners in hotels, or sometimes cars, seems enough to put me in distress at this time. Although assisted living has strong points, group living appeared scary during Covid. Most likely, progress has been made for working through those type of worries. If you live alone, having others around should feel comforting, as well as all of the other benefits you listed.

Last edited:
We thought we would age in place in a +55 mobile home park. Well, life is funny, because we saw new apartments at the beach and went to take a look,
We are now in a beautiful apartment overlooking the beach. It has an elevator (no stairs) and many other amenities. My wife has decorated the place beautifully, and many of the residents are much younger than us, and there is always some activity. I went back to our old place, and the park felt like a ghost town.

P1010139.JPG

One never really knows, but planning on ending my days right here. I will be building a one bedroom apartment in part of what was my old shop on the first level of the house, in the event I can no longer get up and down the stairs. Eventually will find someone to provide live in care, should I live long enough to require it. Seems like it should be a good fit for you, and hope you really enjoy it.

Around here, seniors or independent living (which sounds like what MickaC is talking about) is about $3,000/month, assisted living is about $4,500-$5000/month, and skilled nursing facilities are about anywhere from $6,000-$12,000/month.
You’re right…..rates are high…..depending on the facility…..takes a lot of researching.
I will be paying a monthly rate of $ 3094.00 per month. As I age and possibly need care or assistance, the rate remains the same. Being named “Age in Place “
There is rate increase possible per year due to inflation, of 1.75% to 2.25%. Is reviewed every October.
I did the math…..I think I get a lot with what I’ll be paying.

I think it’s great that you are thinking ahead and planning your future.

I hope that you will keep us up to date as you prepare for your move and get settled in your new home. We can all benefit from your real life experience.
Thanks Aunt Bea……..you won’t be getting rid of me that easy, this home, SF, I will be staying forever, until I get kicked out.😆.

Back