What are you driving.....and do you like it?

I'm still driving my 2004 Kia Sedona. It's sounding a little rough lately. I just do basic maintenance to keep 'er going, and I only use it for short trips, just local errands.

We use Michelle's car whenever we go out of town and also when we go on a date or when we go visit family together. She's embarrassed to be seen in my Sedona.

We had a 2016 Hyundai Accent and a 2017 Mazda CX-5. Since we no longer needed 2 cars, I sold the Hyundai to Carvana for more than I paid for it. I used the money to pay for our granddaughter's tuition.
My wife was previously driving a 1998 Cadillac with the cursed Northstar engine. After the second time it blew the head gasket, it was time to get rid of it.
Talk about a culture shock to adapt to the new car with all the bells and whistles.

I'm driving a Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I like it, it's a great van, and it served its purpose when I needed to move a lot of crap from where I was to where I am now, but it's not what I want to be driving. I'm looking for a classic car or truck (toy) that I can piddle with and sink much more money than it's worth into.

2018 Hyundai Kona. Great compact SUV. Lots of safety features. Automatic pre-collision braking, lane change warning, backup collision warning, etc. We got it new, and just discovered that Consumer Reports recommends it as a good buy in a used car.

Are you driving something different in retirement?
How good is it to you?
What will you buy next?

Current ride. I bought this going into retirement knowing I was going to run it into the ground before I get rid of it.
Love it, best all around vehicle I've owned. Has been very good to me.....Next? I would like a Lucid (but not sure I can afford it)
We will see when the time comes.
View attachment 300449
We bought a new car last June, and sold an SUV that we purchased new in 2000. It was a very nice Infiniti and had just over 100K miles. There really wasn't anything wrong with that vehicle and it had been well maintained. I really wanted us to have a vehicle with the advanced safety feature that mean a lot to an older driver. We shopped around and finally decided on a Nissan Rogue well equipped and economical as well. Our second vehicle is a 2002 Nissan Frontier, with very low miles. In all likelihood we never purchase any more vehicles we're 75 & 76 our driving days will end one day.

We are enjoying the new vehicle and sometimes the technology settings get a little complicated. At the same time it has more air bags, helps stay in our lane on the highway, keeps us from backing over stuff, and we like the Sirius radio as well. We're not rich but we live comfortably and downsizing a bit at our age made sense. In our days we have spent a lot on cars, i.e. Lincoln, Mercedes, Oldsmobile, Infiniti, Ford and Chevrolets. There are some more but you get the idea. At our age, and maybe yours, why not enjoy the vehicle you want?

Back