Yesterday's day out to visit a Stately home and Gardens

I'm blown away by those beautiful frames and all the mirrors.

I was also waiting/looking to see where the bar was in the billiard room. :)
Actually that's a very good point... :D I think that probably the drinks were brought up to men by servants.... perhaps that Silver Wine cooler was in the Billiard room filled with wine..back in the day... :D

sil05018.jpg

Oh, wow … I’m lost for words. Simply, breathtaking. The artwork is mind boggling, inconceivably so; a treat to inspect, and appreciate. It’ll take several revisits before I’m able to digest it all.

Holly, it’s so very generous of you to share this visual feast. Thank you! ❤️

The 3-D effect of many of those murals just fascinate me no end. I'd never heard of this house, and I am sorry I did not in my younger days when I was still traveling. Thanks, Holly, I am enjoying each one of them and what's in the brochure as well.

The 3-D effect of many of those murals just fascinate me no end. I'd never heard of this house, and I am sorry I did not in my younger days when I was still traveling. Thanks, Holly, I am enjoying each one of them and what's in the brochure as well.
Unbelievably Lois, I'd never heard of this house either until recently...despite it being just 70 miles from me...

I'd heard of all the other major houses, and had visited many of them including Knebworth house which is pretty much on my doorstep and where they hold or held all the major rock concerts very year...I was just stunned when I entered this house on Saturday..never had I seen anything like this in any other Stately home.

I said as much to my daughter.. this outstrips Knebworth and all the others I've visited so far.. for sheer..Astounding Artwork...

I wish you could see it in real life Lois, but I hope that my photos have brought you joy..in a smaller way.. :giggle:

Now my favorite of all your many SF photography threads. Incredible impressive world of historic elite wealth at the level of royalty this person has little experience with. Could spend endless fascinating hours slowly perusing such. How amazing it would be to magically go back in time to actually relive such a day in that vast residence.

There is so much worthwhile in our world that would take endless lifetimes to have time enough to experience. The history of we people, especially in Europe, is one I wish I had time to at least dabble a bit in.

@hollydolly , you have an excellent eye for aesthetic subject framing, something I also value. Such is not simply an innate dormant ability but rather a result of years of repeating experience evaluating visuals. Well done!

One interesting point I forgot to mention...is that in the Kitchen, if you look high on the wall to the right, you can see some tiny skulls. They are the skulls of Turtles which were used to make Turtle soup in the 18th century.

BH-kitchens-2-HD.jpg

BH-Kitchens-5.jpg

the soup would then be served in the Turtle shaped tureen...

15832_01_BurghleyHouse_uxga.jpg

Pretty gross in todays' world...

Pity the weather was against us, and it was overcast and windy.. so the pictures of the gardens would look much more beautiful in the sun.

there's huge landscape.. and gardens.

The descendants of the original 15th century Burghley family still live in the property, so only 18 Stately rooms and some hallways are open to the public for viewing, as well as much of the gardens.

The house originally belonged to the Principal Secretary and Lord Treasurer for Queen Elizabeth I

There are 35 major rooms, 80 smaller rooms & corridors, and general service areas..

The art is beyond anything I've ever seen even in our major London Art Galleries.. or in any other Stately home.. it includes almost every ceiling painted as well and major paintings on the walls
Much of the art was created by Louis Laguerre for the 5th Earl an his wife in the 17th century....the collection of Italian Old Masters at Burghley continues to be one of the finest in private hands.

My neck would have been aching from looking up. The ceiling paintings are amazing and still so vivid. Thanks for bringing us along!

My neck would have been aching from looking up. The ceiling paintings are amazing and still so vivid. Thanks for bringing us along!
yes that's why I took so many photos, so I could look more at them when I got home, because it really was a neck straining exercise for some of the ceilings... :D

Back