18 Months to Retirement and Beyond

I'm pushing thru my last few shifts... 15 more to go, ending almost 36 years as a Paramedic at the same service. No way I could do 7 more years.
I'm very familiar with Hospice professionally and personally and commend you on your job. Seems big holidays always spurn an increase in our Hospice transports. It is common that in our line of work it becomes a large part of your identity. Wishing you the best of luck.
Thank you, @Old medic…. Helps to know I’m no imagining The whole thing lol

the thing is , you're job is not just physically exhausting but seriously mentally exhausting too....

When I tookretirement, I hadn't had any plans to do it the year I did, but I had been given more and more work to do without any help... and I much as I tried to do everything it was just impossible and it was making me ill .. so ultimately I felt I had no other choice, and took retirement at 62 long before I had , had any plans to do so ...
Thank you, @hollydolly I am seriously weighing my options. I’ll keep y’all posted.

So... this thread should be renamed, it's now 12 Months to Retirement

Bumping up against new challenges that I'm trying to tackle while there's lots of time....

Such as-- Social Security will be the lowest tier of payment + whatever my retirement plan comes up with (yes, I will be in contact with my financial planner to get the exact figures, just after the holidays) And I'm figuring that I'll be bringing in 1/4-1/3 of what I make a month now. So it seems logical to start living on that and get comfortable with it. My house is paid for and I have no debt

There will also be challenges on a family level... My two middle sons have been living in my home while I work out of town/state and keeping the place up. The things is, one of them has Asperger-like issues and so change is very difficult for him. And he's gotten comfortable in his own routine and way of doing things here. Some of that is ok but some is going to have to change... so I'm starting to discuss with him what I need when I move back and how we can respect each other's needs and I can still be comfortable.

Hope y'all have a lovely rest-of-the-weekend

I'm pushing thru my last few shifts... 15 more to go, ending almost 36 years as a Paramedic at the same service. No way I could do 7 more years.
I'm very familiar with Hospice professionally and personally and commend you on your job. Seems big holidays always spurn an increase in our Hospice transports. It is common that in our line of work it becomes a large part of your identity. Wishing you the best of luck.
My wife retired from the ambulance service aged 62, she was more than happy to work on but she urgently needed a knee replacement, and her surgeon advised retirement. The ambulance service also said that such surgery wouldn't be conducive to her continuing, so she retired and as a retirement present, I had a bespoke workshop built in the garden, where she indulges me with hand made bespoke shirts, vests/waistcoats and trousers. She couldn't be happier.
old photos 287.JPG
I will retire in December 2022; I turn 65 in that month.

I want to make a plan, not just financially, but also for personal growth and goals to be ready for this change.

(And it *will* be a change... I love what I do (RN) and have a hard time imagining not nursing)

Some things on my 'to do' list over the coming months...
Plan for travel--I want to go places where I can see live ballet, orchestra, theater, art
But
Also plan for staying at times in my 'base camp' in South Georgia. The area has changed a lot since I raised my kids there.
cinnamon.jpg
What a beautiful photograph, compliments to you. You are from South Georgia, whilst I'n not familiar with all of South Georgia, a schoolfriend of mine married a surgeon and they resided in Savannah. We spent many a happy time in their company. How we loved Savannah.

Just some thoughts... I see a lot of YouTube videos on "Slow Living"

Not sure I take to that 24/7. (Of course, as with most things per YouTube, for every six people that post videos, there are seven opinions about what the topic really means...)

I think my current life and level of activity can be best compared to a (vinyl) record player. As I approach retirement, I'd like to change the speed from 78 RPMs (most work days) and 16 RPM (days off) to 33 1/3 RPMs most days with maybe a few 45RPMs days to keep it interesting. =-P

Well, I've done it. I made an appt. with a house cleaning service for a consult...

My home-base house (the one I own), is going to need an intervention over the next few months for it to be ready for me to move back in. Not that I'm a hoarder or anything; and my sons who are staying there keep it up pretty well for single guys.

But things have accumulated or what was tidied away has somehow (I'll blame the cats) gotten spread around, like the remaining yarn from a knitting project, all over the floor in my bedroom.

And since I only get home once a month at most, it's just too daunting to try to tackle in the little time I'm there.

Plus, DUST has built up and I'm really (truly) allergic to the stuff. I use a high grade mask while I'm dusting and nasal spray afterwards but it still just attacks my sinuses.

So! Call The Midwif... oh, I mean Call the Professional Cleaning People!

I'm thinking I need to declutter and go through and toss stuff I don't use but I need someone to first dust it off!
I need someone to help me clean the baseboards, especially in hard-to-reach places like behind the toilet
I need an objective person to help me rethink my walk-in closet which my Then-Husband did up in the California closet style (with lots of shelves and short rods, not one rod along the whole length). But all those shelves just Gather Dust and I need someone to help me reduce # of shelves.

I need to get the place back to a manageable level where I can maintain it. Not looking forward to the process but it will be worth it in the end =)

Yesterday was a retirement "trial run"...

High up on my hopes for retirement is to be able to attend live music/ballet/theater on a regular basis. An opportunity fell into my lap last week when I purchased tickets to a performance of the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields and Joshua Bell, held in Columbus GA, which is less than 1.5 hours from my house.

(Much gushing about classical music now--if it's not your thing, skip a couple paragraphs =P)

The performance was absolutely *wonderful*--the Bach violin concerto was sublime; the Dvorak concerto came from a completely different place and was (for me, at least), the stand-out performance of the evening. Joshua's solos were Heart Stopping. He is so talented.

And the level of virtuosity of the whole orchestra was incredible... to be able to play without a conductor, have technique (one example--delicate notes with bow barely touching strings to full-on fortissimo) while keeping musicality, making it all look effortless. For me, one of the pleasures of a live performance is--along with the audio adrenaline of a great piece-- being able to see the movement of the bows, the fingering, the way the musicians' bodies respond to the music. It adds a tactile dimension over just hearing a piece on a CD.

(Ok, back to retirement discussion)

I was so pumped after the performance I think I could have just left the car in the parking garage and *flown* home.

But then came the morning....

Ah, I see a few things I will have to take into account in planning these excursions in the future:

1) I went to Columbus a little early yesterday to do some shopping and to eat supper out. Even just strolling a few blocks window shopping, I found my hips telling me in no uncertain terms (stiff, sore) that this was no longer a thing I could do for hours on end.

2) I was totally knackered this morning. After getting to sleep a little after midnight, I woke at 0800 but found I was still so tired, I went back to bed and slept for another three hours.

3) There is a slight (better after my nap) psychological 'let down' after such a mentally and emotionally exhilarating evening. Don't feel up to anything very strenuous as far as my brain or emotions.

So in the future I will take these into account. But I am still up for great performances-- it was well worth it all!

It's great that you'll be getting out to hear music, and enjoy ballet and theater. That's wonderful you're doing things that you love and enrich you....kudos. You're very wise for acknowledging the need not to overdo, and rest whenever and as long as you need to. At our age we have to adjust our physical outings to suit our abilities and take care not to abuse our bodies. Sounds like your future is going to be full of light and love. Way to go my friend. 💙

Update on work and retirement plans--

I have been keeping track--the last 5 out of 6 weekends I've worked have been 'hell on wheels' as far as busyness, calls out middle of the night, high acuity patients (very sick, in other words, need lots of visits) and generally just very stressful (emotionally, mentally, physically)

In addition, I'm having more issues with my back (changes to my spine) makes giving care (wound care, incontinence care, turning/ repositioning, etc) more difficult and longer to recover. I *do not* need to mess my back up!!

So, I'm rethinking retirement date.

We have a new RN being hired, who will come on-staff in late April; takes about six months to get a new staff member completely up to speed. I will shoot for an end date of early to mid-October. That way I can enjoy fall and I can surely pay for a couple months private insurance til Medicare kicks in at 65.

Thank you for listening to me mull, ramble and vent on this page. It helps me to think things through.

Hey short timer, good to see you getting closer! Sorry about your back, you need to take care of that.

Here is something I always wanted to try in your neck of the woods, doesn't seem to be on your list, LOL. https://hogswat.com/
Thanks, @Alligatorob, for your encouraging words…

as to the wild hog hunting, I will leave that to you men 😆

So... post visit with financial advisor this week....

Apparently, per the numbers, I can retire about five years after I'm dead, haha

Coming to working outside the home late in life, I've put aside as much as I can for retirement fund, I've saved as much as I can (checking acct is healthy) and paid off my debt, but I'm still told that to avoid draining my retirement fund too quickly and being able to live comfortably, I will have to work at least part time. Sigh.

No, check that sigh. I kind of felt I'd want to have a part time (maybe 2-3days/week) job to avoid the shock of going from pedal-to-the-metal to parade crawl. The thing is, what job to get? What's available? Lots of research to do.

Homework for next few weeks: get with tax advisor and find out how much I can work without my social security being taxed... check into short term medical coverage (I can't have Medicare til December)... touch base with Social Security to determine monthly income

One funny thing... when my retirement planner asked, "Why do you want to retire in October?" I answered honestly: "To enjoy autumn." He looked totally confused, like, 'that's a viable reason?' Haha, a Mars vs Venus moment, I guess.

I will have to work at least part time. Sigh.

No, check that sigh. I kind of felt I'd want to have a part time (maybe 2-3days/week) job to avoid the shock of going from pedal-to-the-metal to parade crawl.
Do you want to retire right away, or would a transition be more comfortable? I am 5 years ahead of you, and started slowing down at about your age. Seems to have worked, as you say the challenge is finding the right job that will let you do that.
Apparently, per the numbers, I can retire about five years after I'm dead
LOL!! Probably true for a lot of us...

You seem a very sensible lady, I think you will figure it out just fine.

So…. Life has taken another turn…. I’m going to have to process this over the next few days, so there will be several posts. Suffice it to say what retirement looks like has changed *again* and I’m trying to find the balance between my family’s needs and my own wishes/needs. More tomorrow

You are a very smart lady and kind, loving person. I am thinking your setback may come with problems with your family or you are facing a health issue your self. I can only say from experience that sometimes people (family) bring their problems to you. You may have been able to help them in the past. There comes a time we have to give them the best advice we can and let them figure it out. We can't always bail them out of a financial mess. They have to learn if they have got in over their head they will have to figure it out. I am sure that you, and so many others our age have weathered many a storm.

At this age we must have the courage to say No. Hard when it is your family but if you don't do it, you will never be able to retire or when you do you will not have enough put away to be comfortable. This is your time to have the choice to do the things you want.

I have set my son down and explained the facts. I can't help like I used to, I can't give gifts like I used to. I have paid for a good education at a quality college. He has no student debt. He and his wife have to make good decisions, if they choose to get their selves in debt they will have to deal with the fallout. My DIL mother is my age and became a widow also about 18 months ago. She was able to sell things, her husbands new truck, a large fifth wheel travel trailer. She has been able to stay in her home. Needless to say her finances are not the same without her husband.

I send you prayers and best wishes as you make your way to a happy and healthy retirement!!

Welp, here I am with a second cup of coffee under my belt, ready to muse/discuss a little more from yesterday’s post about life taking another turn ….

@Blessed, I completely agree with you about not supporting children financially forever. This issue doesn’t have to do so much with $$$ as figuring out what priorities are and what is best for all involved.

Long story short, my older daughter is now a single parent of two special needs girls (the younger one is a little further over on the autism spectrum, being essentially non-verbal). She has worked full time as an RN, put her girls’ needs first, and has not asked for hand-outs or for me to do a lot of babysitting; she advocates for her girls like a mother tiger 😉

Anyway, she now finds herself, despite her best efforts, with only one babysitter and more and more burdens on her. She and the girls were here yesterday and we had a good discussion… she got teary eyed a couple times and she is not a whiner or a snowflake (if that is the correct context for that word ).

She needs a better paying job and there are some travel nurse options in Albany GA (about a 40 min drive from where I am now) which would help but here *main* concern is making sure the girls have a stable, loving environment and a good school with ancillary services (speech therapy, etc). No her ex is absolutely no help at all, in fact he’s pretty messed up

SO…. she was checking into the possibility of us teaming up to ‘co-parent’ the girls. I would babysit while she works (optimally 6 days out of each two weeks). My questions to myself… what is best for the girls and how can I contribute without messing up my own health or getting myself in so deep I lose myself in the process

this post is really long already, I’ll stop there for now. Sorry if I’m boring everyone to tears but it helps to be able to put this down in black and white so I can think it through

lots of prayer going on too… God’s direction is essential

Welp, here I am with a second cup of coffee under my belt, ready to muse/discuss a little more from yesterday’s post about life taking another turn ….

@Blessed, I completely agree with you about not supporting children financially forever. This issue doesn’t have to do so much with $$$ as figuring out what priorities are and what is best for all involved.

Long story short, my older daughter is now a single parent of two special needs girls (the younger one is a little further over on the autism spectrum, being essentially non-verbal). She has worked full time as an RN, put her girls’ needs first, and has not asked for hand-outs or for me to do a lot of babysitting; she advocates for her girls like a mother tiger 😉

Anyway, she now finds herself, despite her best efforts, with only one babysitter and more and more burdens on her. She and the girls were here yesterday and we had a good discussion… she got teary eyed a couple times and she is not a whiner or a snowflake (if that is the correct context for that word ).

She needs a better paying job and there are some travel nurse options in Albany GA (about a 40 min drive from where I am now) which would help but here *main* concern is making sure the girls have a stable, loving environment and a good school with ancillary services (speech therapy, etc). No her ex is absolutely no help at all, in fact he’s pretty messed up

SO…. she was checking into the possibility of us teaming up to ‘co-parent’ the girls. I would babysit while she works (optimally 6 days out of each two weeks). My questions to myself… what is best for the girls and how can I contribute without messing up my own health or getting myself in so deep I lose myself in the process

this post is really long already, I’ll stop there for now. Sorry if I’m boring everyone to tears but it helps to be able to put this down in black and white so I can think it through

lots of prayer going on too… God’s direction is essential
Somehow I know you'll make the best decision. My thoughts are with you. 🙏 🙏 🙏

I understand totally where you are coming from. My son, his fiance and her son, a little under three, moved in and lived with me for 3 1/2 years. They helped with some bills, bought groceries etc. Little one went to day care. When he started school, I would walk him to and from school on some days. Mind you, the school was 3 houses down at the end of my street. It was something I really enjoyed. I would watch him until the parents got in from work.

He also stayed with me during school holidays sometimes. The parents would take the a day off here and there to do special outings with him. In the summer, he would go to work with my son. They had an onsite summer program for children.

I don't know how old your grandchildren are but the arrangement can work depending on the situation. I got a great deal of joy out of it. I was more concerned that you were looking at a whole different problem.

Well, 6 days out of 14, is quite a task with 2 special needs children... going from working outside of the house, and not only staying home 7 days out of 7 but with albeit your grandchildren.. 2 children who probably need a lot of attention.. could be quite difficult.. I'm sure you've thought of that and more CS... I understand your DD needs help.. and if you're the only one who can help, as a mother you will move heaven and earth.. but I think you need to look at what will happen in the long term..

Back