221-B Baker Street

Dr Joseph Bell

23514420_1411733283.jpg

"Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s fictional detective with the knack for solving crimes through observation and reason was modeled after Dr. Joseph Bell, one of Conan Doyle’s medical school professors. ... A fellow Scotsman born in 1837, the charismatic Bell dazzled his students with demonstrations in which he was able to determine a patient’s occupation and other personal details just by studying his appearance and mannerisms. ... Years later, Conan Doyle wrote to Bell: “It is most certainly to you that I owe Sherlock Holmes and though in the stories I have the advantage of being able to place him in all sorts of dramatic positions, I do not think that his analytical work is in the least an exaggeration of some effects which I have seen you produce in the outpatient ward.”"

https://www.history.com/news/was-sherlock-holmes-based-on-a-real-person
That's "somewhat" similar to Bertillon's ID system before fingerprints. I learned that in a Criminal law course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_Bertillon#cite_ref-1

Hamlet%2B-%2BCumberbatch.jpg

The Sherlockian world doesn't always pay close attention to who's starring in what at the Barbican Theatre in the City of London, even though it is just a short stroll from St. Bartholomew's Hospital and even closer to the Museum of London, which hosted a major Sherlock Holmes exhibition earlier this year.

The play, by the way, is William Shakespeare's Hamlet, which on the face of it has no Sherlockian significance except that.....

...come to think of it, "Shakespeare's Hamlet" has quite a lot of the same letters as "Sherlock Holmes" — the sort of coincidence certain pastiche authors would use as a major plot point.

William D. Goodrich in his New Good Old Index manages to find several resemblances between phrases in the play and phrases in the Canon, such as Holmes's use of the words "stale and unprofitable" in "A Case of Identity" and Inspector Forrester's reference to "madness in his method" in "The Reigate Squires."

10 Incredible Stories About The Real-Life Sherlock Holmes

"Ever since he showed up in A Study in Scarlet, Sherlock Holmes has fascinated readers with his powers of deduction and arrogant eccentricities. But is this iconic investigator purely fictional, or was he based on a real-life hero"?

"Jerome Caminada, on the other hand, was Sherlock Holmes in the flesh. While historians debate if he actually inspired Doyle’s classic character, this Victorian investigator was definitely England’s number one super sleuth. Both brainy and brawny, Caminada traveled all across the UK to catch the realm’s most conniving crooks, and his adventures rival the plot of any Sherlock story". (Continue)

0112.jpg

Watson and Holmes enjoy a fine chin-wag and a cup or more of java in the Blue Mandalay Coffee setting for two.

iu

The Incredible Life Of The Real Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Joseph Bell
Read More: https://www.grunge.com/192906/the-incredible-life-of-the-real-sherlock-holmes/?utm_campaign=clip

"In Doyle's second year of medical school, Bell hand-picked him to work as his medical assistant in Bell's ward, according to Conan Doyle Info, which gave Doyle more than ample opportunity to study Bell's personality and methods closely. Doyle would take Bell's belief that observation was the key to being a good physician and to coming up with an accurate theory or diagnosis, and stow it away for future use as a character we know and love. Just as Watson took notes on his boss, Sherlock Holmes, and later whipped the notes into grand adventures, so Doyle took notes on Joseph Bell. When he later turned these observations into the Sherlock Holmes stories, Doyle essentially became Watson in real life".

joseph-bell-was-sherlock-holmes-and-conan-doyle-was-dr-watson-ish-1583525088.webp

Holmes on the Range
Two cowboy brothers roam the wild West of the 1890s, saddled up Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson amidst the tumbleweed, solving murders as they ride the range.

Podcast-Episode-2-Steve-Hockensmith.png

"In your series Holmes on the Range you put two fairly hard scrabble cowboy brothers with a tragic past into slapstick situations where they manage to keep their heads when all around them are losing theirs. Gustav’s obsession for the great detective’s deductive reasoning methods shines through all the fun and games and I’m wondering . . ." Read More

“The stage lost a fine actor”: Sherlock Holmes’ disguises

"Now, this is a challenge! To speak of Holmes’ disguises is to take up a task as vast and multifarious as Holmes’ ability in this field was - and I’m not sure I’ll be able to rise to the occasion… but I’ll do my best, I promise". (READ MORE)

718b2d0f1226cf4a5495301212d0dbd99601bd7a.jpg

DIY: Sherlock Holmes Costume
"My first DIY video on how to put together a Sherlock Holmes costume!!! I'll be showing you how to dress up as the Ian Mckellen version. Enjoy"!!

Back