A Day in the Life of a 1950's Housewife by Jane Bovary

I remember coming home from elementary school and my mother would be ironing and dancing to American Bandstand.

I loved ironing my father's pocket handkerchiefs. He always looked so nice in his suits.

I remember coming home from elementary school and my mother would be ironing and dancing to American Bandstand.

I loved ironing my father's pocket handkerchiefs. He always looked so nice in his suits.
I remember my older brothers' school clothes- in that area anyway, boys didn't wear t-shirts and jeans to school, but nice slacks and shirts.

Actually I nursed my first son till he was "tippy cup" trained , which was about the time the potty training started at 18 mo. My day care moms provided the formula bottles and Gerber jars of baby food. I was too pooped to go the homemade baby food route.
You also mentioned plastic pants over the cloth diapers...oh yeah, they all had to be laundered too, but not for each changing.
I nursed my first two, not fulltime, but nevertheless, they were nursed, but by the time baby #3 came along, I opted for the bottle, and the rest is history.

As for the rubber pants, I hand-washed those (mostly) and pinned them on the line to dry, and as you say, the washing and changing of the rubber pants didn't take place after each changing, just when the pants needed to be changed, and into the diaper pail they went with the diapers.

If you mean "sippy-cups," I never heard of anything like that when my oldest was little. I bought a couple for my youngest, though, who wanted no part of them- went directly from bottles to cups/glasses.
Tippy-cups, training-cups, sippy-cups... they were sort of hit and miss in our house. Had a couple that went straight from bottle to cup/glass as well, and as for the plastic trainer-cups, their time was short-lived in our house.

My Mom was a stay at home Mom. My Dad worked 2 jobs when extra money was really needed. My brother was 13yrs old when I was born. my Sister is only 2yrs older than me. I was 5ys old when my brother go drafted during the Korean war. He had just gotten married when he got drafted. My Mom always cooked home made meals. She would wash cloths every Saturday and Iron every Sunday.After my brother got out of the Army he moved back in our house with his wife. They then had a son and a year and a half later another son.That's when I got the name Auntie Barbara will do it. I watched the boys everyday after school. My Mother never made my sister-in-law do anything, I still remember my Mom washing the diapers and hanging them on the cloths line. We never had take out food until I was about 13yrs old. My brother and his family lived with us for 6yrs until he saved up enough to buy a home.He never paid a dime for anything when he lived with my parents.My Dad even bought him a car.I don't know where my Mom got all the strength to do what she did. She was amazing.

I nursed my first two, not fulltime, but nevertheless, they were nursed, but by the time baby #3 came along, I opted for the bottle, and the rest is history.
For her third son, my sister bought a contraption that held the bottle to his mouth while in his crib. I thought that was disgusting, and wouldn't you know, he grew up feeling unloved.

My Mom was a stay at home Mom. My Dad worked 2 jobs when extra money was really needed. My brother was 13yrs old when I was born. my Sister is only 2yrs older than me. I was 5ys old when my brother go drafted during the Korean war. He had just gotten married when he got drafted. My Mom always cooked home made meals. She would wash cloths every Saturday and Iron every Sunday.After my brother got out of the Army he moved back in our house with his wife. They then had a son and a year and a half later another son.That's when I got the name Auntie Barbara will do it. I watched the boys everyday after school. My Mother never made my sister-in-law do anything, I still remember my Mom washing the diapers and hanging them on the cloths line. We never had take out food until I was about 13yrs old. My brother and his family lived with us for 6yrs until he saved up enough to buy a home.He never paid a dime for anything when he lived with my parents.My Dad even bought him a car.I don't know where my Mom got all the strength to do what she did. She was amazing.
Love the Auntie Barbara name! :)

Same story in my home, mom was a fulltime stay-at-home mom/homemaker, no take-out food (ever)... all meals and baking from scratch, being the oldest I was the second set of helping hands and household babysitter, and diapers were hung on the line.

I still view learning how to care for baby siblings and cousins as being the best prerequisite to motherhood that any prerequisite ever was or could be. :)

For her third son, my sister bought a contraption that held the bottle to his mouth while in his crib. I thought that was disgusting, and wouldn't you know, he grew up feeling unloved.
Hate to hear that Pepper. :(

I'm no angel in the category of bottle-propping, as I remember doing it, not all the time, but definitely on occasion, but I had no special contraption to aid me in the propping.

I'd prop the bottle using a stuffed animal or two, a pillow, part of the blanket, then go about doing whatever else I had on the go. Do remember checking on baby often when I propped, and I remember my mom propping the bottles of baby siblings.

I do think propping was more common back in the day.

We walked to school...If it was raining Mom would take me and my cousin to school....
When I came home from school, I had chores....Take the dog for the walk....
If it was nice outside, Mom let me go outside to play with the kids on the block....
But I did stay on the block...I knew that the time my mom was cooking dinner....I had to help Mom set the table and after dinner
I washed the dishes...The only time I didn't wash the dishes, My Dad would put the barbeque on and make his stakes or hamburgers...
He never wanted me to help him...He let me go out to play until it was time to come into the house....
I never had to wash clothes....But I did get the clothes when they dried on the lines outside....
I never had to iron....
I had more duties in the house then my brother's....Ha Ha Ha....They always had baseball or whatever they had to go to after dinner...
And always on the weekend they both had someplace to go.... I still have the duties in the house....It's only me and hubby, and he
is great with helping....

We walked to school...If it was raining Mom would take me and my cousin to school....
When I came home from school, I had chores....Take the dog for the walk....
If it was nice outside, Mom let me go outside to play with the kids on the block....
But I did stay on the block...I knew that the time my mom was cooking dinner....I had to help Mom set the table and after dinner
I washed the dishes...The only time I didn't wash the dishes, My Dad would put the barbeque on and make his stakes or hamburgers...
He never wanted me to help him...He let me go out to play until it was time to come into the house....
I never had to wash clothes....But I did get the clothes when they dried on the lines outside....
I never had to iron....
I had more duties in the house then my brother's....Ha Ha Ha....They always had baseball or whatever they had to go to after dinner...
And always on the weekend they both had someplace to go.... I still have the duties in the house....It's only me and hubby, and he
is great with helping....
Your post brings back so many memories for me, too!

Helping set the table, doing dishes, washing laundry and hanging it, along with taking it down and folding it... and heaps of baby care, having baby siblings in the home for years.

If you mean "sippy-cups," I never heard of anything like that when my oldest was little. I bought a couple for my youngest, though, who wanted no part of them- went directly from bottles to cups/glasses.
Nope, they were deffinately called "tippy cups". I can't even find a picture of one now. They had the function of a sippy cup, but they had a round bottom that was weighted and couldn't be turned over on the highchair tray. Dang, I can't believe they don't make them anymore.

Nope, they were deffinately called "tippy cups". I can't even find a picture of one now. They had the function of a sippy cup, but they had a round bottom that was weighted and couldn't be turned over on the highchair tray. Dang, I can't believe they don't make them anymore.
Like this, Kayelle?

Vintage Yellow Tommee Tippee Sippy Cup Toddler Bear Weighted ...

And the double-handled ones, too!

Vintage Tommee Tippee sippy cup - we've been designing cups for ...

My mother was nothing at all like what was described here. My dad got us up and out. But, my mother spent a lot of time baking and cooking. Dinner was always on the table at a certain time and we behaved like angels at the dining room table or were banished to eat in the kitchen alone. My mother made certain that we took care of ourselves which included personal hygiene, keeping our rooms neat, ironing and mending our own clothes, etc. Did us good for we all did well on our own.

I wouldn't go that far, but have you seen the newer commercials on t.v. for PullUps? I haven't been around any little-bitty children for a long time, but some of the kids in those ads look like they should be in Kindergarten- and yet they're not potty-trained?!?

Yep, exactly my point Janice! Two years ago when my youngest grand child was 4 yrs old, I told her mother I wouldn't be changing her "Poopie PullUps" anymore because I've never in my life changed a 4 yr old, and I wouldn't be doing it now. Guess I didn't make any points with my DIL, but I've always "told it like it is" and I told my son the same thing. He forgave me, but I don't think she did. 🤪

Since the advent of disposable nappies and their long term implications such as land-fill etc....'nuther story
Huz and I were discussing at what age are most kids 'toilet trained' at least during the day?
Thankfully my 2 were both okay by the time they started school at age 5
However they did have the occasional accident at night
They wore cloth nappies because disposables were too expensive
My grandfather was fascinated by the kids Tommee Tippee cups because of the weighted bases

Our lives were much the same Sassy.

My half brother was 15 when I was born and when he was drafted to the Korean War he was eventually the youngest Master Sergeant in the war at 19 yrs. old. I was then 4 yrs old then and my mom and his wife and baby were on an early TV talk show with none other than the very young Betty White.

My dad invited all the customers in from our "Mom & Pop" grocery store, that was attached to our home, to come in the house and watch the show on our brand new Television. My mouth hung open watching them there. They were making a sound recording to send to my brother. I remember my Mom saying that when he got home they would have the table decorated in blue ribbon. I didn't understand until he came home and the welcome table had lots of "Pabst Blue Ribbon" beer. :ROFLMAO: 🇺🇸(y)

That's where the similarities with our brothers ended. He bought a brand new two bedroom "tract home" intended for returning service men on the GI Bill. I grew up and found out he paid $9,000 for that lovely house here in California where I still live. He and his wife raised four little kids there with two bunk beds in the kids room. He also was educated on the GI bill and ended up making a very good living until he died at the age of 43. He was my childhood hero, and I still miss him.

My mom and dad worked hard together in the little grocery store and I was raised as an only child. I was very happy to have both my terrific parents at home all the time. I didn't have them long enough though, as I was a late in life child and both of them were gone by the time I was 43. Mom was active in the private school I attended and often delivered groceries to the convent. They were both the best parents a kid could wish for.

Last edited:
OMG, same here, Kayelle... old-fashioned cloth diapers, pins, and rubber pants for all of mine, and happy to do so.

Being a stay-at-home mom made using cloth diapers easy, and having grown-up changing baby siblings that wore cloth diapers, I had the whole process of changing, rinsing, soaking, washing, drying, and folding down-pat, long before I became a mom.

I commend you on the early training. I wasn't so lucky, but at least with reusable, washable cloth diapers, I didn't fret over diapering longer, because the cloth diapers didn't cost me a thing other than a little detergent every few days, which equated to pennies per wash-load.
Yes, My son is 54 years old....It never bothered me that I had to do laundry, diaper the baby, wash diapers...
We didn't own a house, we were in a house and rented....Until my husband took his job to Ohio....We were
lucky to find a little home...We also have a daughter....Came back to NJ and bought a house here.....
But, hubby had to drive 2 hours to NYC...For many many years.....
So kids are all grown with their kids.....We both had jobs....We both have pensions....Never thought at 20 years old
getting married that ever would happen....We persevered....55 years....

Yes, My son is 54 years old....It never bothered me that I had to do laundry, diaper the baby, wash diapers...
We didn't own a house, we were in a house and rented....Until my husband took his job to Ohio....We were
lucky to find a little home...We also have a daughter....Came back to NJ and bought a house here.....
But, hubby had to drive 2 hours to NYC...For many many years.....
So kids are all grown with their kids.....We both had jobs....We both have pensions....Never thought at 20 years old
getting married that ever would happen....We persevered....55 years....

I hope that means you still have each other Peppermint! My late husband and I married as 19 yr. old teenagers (and not even PG as we used to say) lol. We were married for 42 years, when he died way too young when we were 61. I'm now very happy with my Bowmore of 12 years....... I'm a lucky (blessed) woman to have married two men I love, and love me back.

Last edited:
Yep, exactly my point Janice! Two years ago when my youngest grand child was 4 yrs old, I told her mother I wouldn't be changing her "Poopie PullUps" anymore because I've never in my life changed a 4 yr old, and I wouldn't be doing it now. Guess I didn't make any points with my DIL, but I've always "told it like it is" and I told my son the same thing. He forgave me, but I don't think she did. 🤪
Good on you, Kayelle, for putting your foot down.

Since the advent of disposable nappies and their long term implications such as land-fill etc....'nuther story
Huz and I were discussing at what age are most kids 'toilet trained' at least during the day?
Thankfully my 2 were both okay by the time they started school at age 5
However they did have the occasional accident at night
They wore cloth nappies because disposables were too expensive
My grandfather was fascinated by the kids Tommee Tippee cups because of the weighted bases
Gosh, I'm thinking back to my old babysitting days.... a long time ago... the 1970's, but I seem to recall the magic number being around age 2 to 2-1/2 years. Seemed by age 2-1/2 years, diapers, at least daytime diapers were all but a thing of the past. Now, nighttime diapers, well that's a different story. I do remember diapering older ones at bedtime (for the night), but if my memory serves me well, nighttime diapers didn't last long after daytime dryness was mastered.

Now, back in my babysitting days everyone used cloth diapers, and wet cloth diapers would have made for one uncomfortable little bottom, add in the fact that mothers grew tired of washing, drying, folding, and pinning, and toilet training happened earlier.

Our lives were much the same Sassy.

My half brother was 15 when I was born and when he was drafted to the Korean War he was eventually the youngest Master Sergeant in the war at 19 yrs. old. I was then 4 yrs old then and my mom and his wife and baby were on an early TV talk show with none other than the very young Betty White.

My dad invited all the customers in from our "Mom & Pop" grocery store, that was attached to our home, to come in the house and watch the show on our brand new Television. My mouth hung open watching them there. They were making a sound recording to send to my brother. I remember my Mom saying that when he got home they would have the table decorated in blue ribbon. I didn't understand until he came home and the welcome table had lots of "Pabst Blue Ribbon" beer. :ROFLMAO: 🇺🇸(y)

That's where the similarities with our brothers ended. He bought a brand new two bedroom "tract home" intended for returning service men on the GI Bill. I grew up and found out he paid $9,000 for that lovely house here in California where I still live. He and his wife raised four little kids there with two bunk beds in the kids room. He also was educated on the GI bill and ended up making a very good living until he died at the age of 43. He was my childhood hero, and I still miss him.

My mom and dad worked hard together in the little grocery store and I was raised as an only child. I was very happy to have both my terrific parents at home all the time. I didn't have them long enough though, as I was a late in life child and both of them were gone by the time I was 43. Mom was active in the private school I attended and often delivered groceries to the convent. They were both the best parents a kid could wish for.
Absolutely love the story.

So sorry to hear of your loss, Kayelle.

Your mention of bunk-beds sure did flood my mind with great old memories! I seem to remember everyone with young children had bunk-beds! So super-duper popular they were!

Thank you for the walk down memory lane!

Back