A GREAT cup of coffee!

treeguy64

Hari Om, y'all!
OK, first off, I'm a decaf man, so I may lose a bit of validity in the eyes of those who mainline the heavy-jolt stuff. I get it, I accept it. That being said, I am standing here, at my elevated desk, drinking the best decaf in the world: Organic Ethiopian Sidamo.

As an aficionado of Ethiopian cuisine, and a gourmet vegan chef who cooks up some very tasty Ethiopian dishes, I have been exposed to the aroma of Ethiopian coffee at the scores of Ethiopian restaurants I've dined at, and grocery stores I've patronized, throughout the US.

Ethiopia is the legendary birthplace of coffee drinking. When an Ethiopian goatherd saw his goats acting very energetic, to the point of being hyperactive, after nibbling on raw coffee beans, he got the idea to try the beans, himself, and then tried roasting them to make a drink. The rest, as they say, is history.

Because caffeine and I no longer get along (it doubles me over, literally), I became a decaf drinker, some thirty years ago. About twelve years ago, I found Ethiopian decaf at a specialty grocer, here in Austin.

May the gods be praised! (Amharic follows): (āmalikitochu yiwedesi!)

አማልክቶቹ ይወደስ!

I had never tasted such an amazing brew, in my life. I was hooked. Sadly, the shop stopped carrying those beans, and I couldn't find them, anywhere. Ah Amazon, right? I very recently found a 2 lb. bag for around $22, a very good deal. For the first time, in years, I'm back to "slipping a slug from that wonderful mug!" So, I'm a happy guy.

What kind of coffee are you crazy about?

It depends on how it is brewed. I like coffee that tastes like well coffee.

When I go over to my sister's house the coffee is excellent.

I just cannot get the perfect combination of water and coffee to suit my taste. The odd day I fluke it.

Apparently Arabica takes it over Columbian.

I like Melitta and the hubby drinks Chock full o Nuts. Melitta has about 4 different kinds plus Decaf. I tried them all and they all taste the same to me. I will be switching to decaf for my afternoon iced coffee though.

I had a scare last week. I had been working outside all day and I got really thirsty. I made a big glass of ice coffee. Not decaf. I gulped it down and a few minutes later my heart was racing. Took about 2 hours for my heart rate to get back to normal. I think it was the regular coffee,a bit to strong and the fact that I gulped it down. I don't ever want to repeat that so I'll drink the decaf and slow down.

I'm easy to please.

If I have a coupon I buy Chock Full O'Nuts but lately, I've been buying a brick of Cafe Caribe or Cafe Bustelo for $2.00 at the no-frills grocery store.

My Aunt used to hum this jingle and smile because she knew it was true!

I’m not picky at all with coffee, I just need the caffeine.

Id say the best tasting coffee is Costco’s Kirkland brand and that’s what I usually use. I get it at my daughter’s Costco because I’m not a member in Fresno..not worth it for me.

If I run out and don’t have a trip coming up to the coast then I buy the cheapest brand..usually Folgers....but just small cans until I can get to Costco.

I like a blend of Starbucks Espresso beans & the "Illey" Dark Roast. I grind just before brewing. Interesting - whenever I have company over & some people are just a little interested in coffee, after they taste mine, they frequently say, "Wow...I never liked coffee that much," then they'll have TWO MORE cups. I always find that they've been drinking the cheap stuff in those tins, already ground a year ago - what I sometimes refer to as cat litter.

We have a Keurig, and our go-to k-cups are the McCafe French roast or Costco's Kirkland brand.

On Sunday we had a storm blow through that downed power lines, so we were without power for several hours. I dug in the cabinets and unearthed an old Pyrex glass stove-top percolator and a can of Folgers ground coffee that expired in 2017, though it was still vacuum sealed. :D I could light my gas stove so we were good to go! I had actually forgotten how good perked coffee tastes.

We have a Keurig, and our go-to k-cups are the McCafe French roast or Costco's Kirkland brand.

On Sunday we had a storm blow through that downed power lines, so we were without power for several hours. I dug in the cabinets and unearthed an old Pyrex glass stove-top percolator and a can of Folgers ground coffee that expired in 2017, though it was still vacuum sealed. :D I could light my gas stove so we were good to go! I had actually forgotten how good perked coffee tastes.

CM, I rescued a practically new electric percolator from Good Will awhile back, scrubbed it well and made Folger's. I was surprised how bad it tasted, LOL! I keep saying I'm going to try again, but I never do.

CM, I rescued a practically new electric percolator from Good Will awhile back, scrubbed it well and made Folger's. I was surprised how bad it tasted, LOL! I keep saying I'm going to try again, but I never do.

I remember my first electric percolator that I got as a wedding present back in the '70s. I was so thrilled, lol. I think it was a Sunbeam. The glass Pyrex pot I have is also vintage '70s as well as a Chemex drip pot that I also found stashed away. I saw the Chemex on the Mary Tyler Moore Show in 1977 and couldn't rest until I had one. :laugh:

2Q==

s-l300.jpg

When I can afford it, Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, but cheap it ain't! Got some in the cupboard this very moment.

For everyday use a Colombian or a Sumatran, always very dark roast, Strength 7, the highest over here.

I normally use a bean to cup machine, rather than pre-ground.

We camped out in the Blue Mountains, on a coffee plantation, on our way from Kingston to Port Antonio. We were less than one hundred feet from a freshly filled grave, and at around 5 PM, the owners five sons came up to our site with ratchets in their hands. We thought there might be two new graves, come the morning, but they turned out to be good guys. In the morning, the owner brought us coffee and sweet rolls. Scary night, at first, but then very cool. Driving the mountain roads was an experience. Next time there, we took the long way around, not up and over.

We camped out in the Blue Mountains, on a coffee plantation, on our way from Kingston to Port Antonio. We were less than one hundred feet from a freshly filled grave, and at around 5 PM, the owners five sons came up to our site with ratchets in their hands. We thought there might be two new graves, come the morning, but they turned out to be good guys. In the morning, the owner brought us coffee and sweet rolls. Scary night, at first, but then very cool. Driving the mountain roads was an experience. Next time there, we took the long way around, not up and over.

Ratchets?

Yikes, TG that's a bit scary, indeed. Glad you had a good time tho'. How nice of them to bring you coffee and rolls.

Back