A GREAT cup of coffee!

Like everything else in life, it’s preference based.
Coffee can be strong or weak, black or with cream, sweet or bitter. The choice is for each individual. Nobody makes the rule book on other people’s preferences.
I understand but that's what a forum like this is all about.
You can rant about stuff that annoys you.
If you are making coffee for someone else always serve it black.
They can do their own fussy stuff.

While we are at it. A drip coffee maker needs to be cleaned every once in a while depending on the water in your area.
The instructions that come with mine is to use vinegar.
But what I use is diluted bleach. It works like magic.
Rinse well with more water.

I understand but that's what a forum like this is all about.
You can rant about stuff that annoys you.
If you are making coffee for someone else always serve it black.
They can do their own fussy stuff.
Who’s ranting. I was calming talking about coffee. Period. If I happen to make coffee for a guest , I’d personally ask them exactly what they like it in.

I can do that fussy stuff too. That’s what makes a great hostess which I am. 😁

While we are at it. A drip coffee maker needs to be cleaned every once in a while depending on the water in your area.
The instructions that come with mine is to use vinegar.
But what I use is diluted bleach. It works like magic.
Rinse well with more water.
Ewwww..... bleach? In a coffee maker?🤢
Yes it’s quicker but not as healthy especially considering most coffee makers are made from plastic. Plastic is porous to a certain extend

Since it’s an appliance that makes things which are consumed orally, you are best off using vinegar.

Last edited:
Yes it’s quicker but not as healthy especially considering most coffee makers are made from plastic. Plastic is porous to a certain extend

Since it’s an appliance that makes makes things which are consumed orally you are best off using vinegar.
Now I’m ranting! 😂lol

Since it’s an appliance that makes makes things which are consumed orally you are best off using vinegar.
No, actually bleach is chlorine, same stuff they use in swimming pools. It's healthy, even our water supply is chlorinated. Chlorine saved England from cholera. My coffee maker has a stainless steel carafe and it comes out spotless.
Diluted, chlorine is safe and it does a great job sterilizing everything. It doesn't leave a taste if you run the water through a few times after you clean it.
And it brews the coffee much faster.
Vinegar is acetic acid and they recommend you use 5 cups undiluted.

Who’s ranting. I was calming talking about coffee. Period. If I happen to make coffee for a guest , I’d personally ask them exactly what they like it in.

I can do that fussy stuff too. That’s what makes a great hostess which I am. 😁
Who is ranting? It was me, by accident I got the wrong cup when we were out for coffee.
Yeck.
Nah I just put the stuff out and let them help themselves.

I never go to Starbucks, ridiculous price for coffee, I brew my own half cafe as it does not make sense to me to drink coffee without a little kick, I like it with some cinnamon half and half and a tad of sugar. Num, num.

No, actually bleach is chlorine, same stuff they use in swimming pools. It's healthy, even our water supply is chlorinated. Chlorine saved England from cholera. My coffee maker has a stainless steel carafe and it comes out spotless.
Diluted, chlorine is safe and it does a great job sterilizing everything. It doesn't leave a taste if you run the water through a few times after you clean it.
And it brews the coffee much faster.
Vinegar is acetic acid and they recommend you use 5 cups undiluted.
Think that recommendation is ridiculous...regularly clean our drip pot with 2 cups of vinegar and 2 cups of water and only need to run a 4 cup clear water rinse through once.
We normally make 6 or 8 cups of coffee at a time. Of course we have high mineral delicious tasting well water that might make a difference. Think it might make it necessary to normally use "more" vinegar, now that I think of it.

Think that recommendation is ridiculous...regularly clean our drip pot with 2 cups of vinegar and 2 cups of water and only need to run a 4 cup clear water rinse through once.
We normally make 6 or 8 cups of coffee at a time. Of course we have high mineral delicious tasting well water that might make a difference. Think it might make it necessary to normally use "more" vinegar, now that I think of it.
Yes of course the water makes a big difference.

I have a very old book about old west prospectors. This reporter went to visit one in the mountains to interview him and said that he had the very best cup of coffee ever. He asked the prospector and he told him the secret was cold mountain water. Hell, how do you get that in my city? Anyone that camps in mountains please comment! Of course, when in mountains my appetite is great, too, so it could be related. I only drink two cups of black with level teaspoon of sugar and don't have a favorite brand.

I like the chocolate tasting type of coffee beans. Sometimes the fruity but mostly chocolate.
Today we had Gevalia ,it is the fruity type bean.It is from Costa Rica. But also like the coffee from Guatomala and Kenya.

Can't you cut down on the amount of water so that it's more concentrated?

Yes, to some extent, Camper. My Keurig offers three water levels to choose from, 6, 8 or 10 oz. So I guess by choosing 6, maybe I could make it stronger. But then I'd only get 6 ounces of coffee, which is not enough. So I'd have to run it twice, using an additional pod. Which would double the cost. Might be worth trying as an experiment, anyway.

Back