A reminder to all as to what really goes on behind closed doors (restaurant kitchens)

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
This is exactly why dear husband and I don't go out to eat.

Shame on those who aren't savvy enough to stay home when they're sick, but double shame on those who have jobs preparing food for restaurant goers and they still show up to work sick. :mad:

You can only imagine what goes on in cheaper restaurants.

no offense Marg but some places won't let these people go home when they're sick. some make them come in like that too.
I'm thinking more establishments than not, have no one overseeing the goings-on in restaurant kitchens, so anything goes.

Knowing you work in such an environment, Marci, to hear you confirm that some establishments make their staff come in and handle food of restaurant goers, even though staff are sick, makes me see red.

there's management there but they are not inside the kitchens paying attention to the goings on and putting a stop to it. it comes down to the almighty dollar. all they care about is a warm body to cover the shift. they don't even make sure they wash their hands. the management is in their offices claiming the ever loving "open door policy" but when confronted with issues they get mad and don't want to hear it or deal with it. not all food service workers conduct themselves in this manner. those who don't care though...you wouldn't believe the crap i've seen.

The shame belongs on the owners who don't provide any paid sick leave. Many employees can't afford to lose a days pay, or they won't be able to pay their rent or their kids won't eat.
I hear your words, Win, and agree (to a point), though when it comes to food and handling, a zero tolerance law should be in place to ensure restaurant kitchens are kept safe and free of sick employees.

there's management there but they are not inside the kitchens paying attention to the goings on and putting a stop to it. it comes down to the almighty dollar. all they care about is a warm body to cover the shift. they don't even make sure they wash their hands. the management is in their offices claiming the ever loving "open door policy" but when confronted with issues they get mad and don't want to hear it or deal with it. not all food service workers conduct themselves in this manner. those who don't care though...you wouldn't believe the crap i've seen.
Your words ring true, Marci, and such applies to many workplaces in general.

I like to think that changes will be made as a result of Covid, but I don't hold a lot of hope.

even the ones that do provide it don't always let the employees take it.
That's where a law should be in place to hold owners accountable.

Owners that are found to operate their establishments under such shrewd ways should be fined, even have their doors boarded shut.

The shame belongs on the owners who don't provide any paid sick leave. Many employees can't afford to lose a days pay, or they won't be able to pay their rent or their kids won't eat.

This is the start ......of those asking for LAWS ....
While perhaps in theory we agree that people will go in sick feeling they can't stay home .... paid leave when I worked a union job and they paid on the third day lost and after a Dr. note........ for many they do not even want to get a note because of time and $ involved with a medical visit. You were still out of pay for day 1&2

Some cities and then states now require it .....................so in my state you earn 1 hour of sick time for every 40 hours put in takes at least eight weeks to make a day of pay ...... PLUS they take a few dollars out of all checks to fund this

So if i had that 2-3 dollars to save myself, I perhaps could have a cushion for time off..... instead i am paying for everyone ...... it all falls back on your co-workers.

For those who Never take sick time they feel cheated out of money taken out of their check .......so they take a "sick" day off to get their money back...... i do not see how this helps but encourages people to try to stay even in a game.

Last edited:
Reality: The "Changes" that will be made will make eating out far more risky.
The Covid restrictions have put restaurants (that haven't already closed) in bad financial shape. A restaurant is a very high-expense business.
When they're open again, we can expect drastic cost-cutting which will include less disposal & more serving of old/contaminated food, less cleaning & sanitizing, & overworked employees.

The Covid restrictions have put restaurants (that haven't already closed) in bad financial shape. A restaurant is a very high-expense business.
When they're open again, we can expect drastic cost-cutting which will include less disposal & more serving of old/contaminated food, less cleaning & sanitizing, & overworked employees.
they will likely cost cut by having fewer employees on duty. they always start there.

Reality ----- those risks were always there this situation just made some people aware......a little anyway of the items that always went on.

based on what i've seen of fellow co-workers since this covid crap began...it's not gonna affect their food safety habits. they will remain crap because these people are nasty and gross and don't care. it's enough to give a person a heart attack when you see the crap that goes on backstage.

I couldn't have said it better, and agree 100% with all.

based on what i've seen of fellow co-workers since this covid crap began...it's not gonna affect their food safety habits. they will remain crap because these people are nasty and gross and don't care. it's enough to give a person a heart attack when you see the crap that goes on backstage.
I can honestly say, nonsense and unacceptable behaviour and practices wouldn't be tolerated by myself if I worked alongside workers not living up to food-safe practices.

I would have no qualms over turning-in and reporting anything I deemed as being out of the norm, and my report or reports wouldn't stop at management, I would take my claims to the top, outside that of management and ownership.

Fellow workers (kitchen staff) who witness off-colour practices are just as much if not more at fault than managers and owners.

I can honestly say, nonsense and unacceptable behaviour and practices wouldn't be tolerated by myself if I worked alongside workers not living up to food-safe practices.

I would have no qualms over turning-in and reporting anything I deemed as being out of the norm, and my report or reports wouldn't stop at management, I would take my claims to the top, outside that of management and ownership.

Fellow workers (kitchen staff) who witness off-colour practices are just as much if not more at fault than managers and owners.
And there should be (if there isn't already) laws protecting the employment of those who report issues.

i miss certain restaurant favorites that would be available as take out or pick up but just can’t stomach the thoughts of what might be going on in their kitchens these days.
Labor and human rights organizations have been pressuring from city council to state leg. for some kind of paid sick leave,, but small business owners fight viciously against it. Which makes me even less willing to want to patronize their establishments.

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here but there are simple things you cannot simply pass a law...personal responsibility or common sense are a few.......

This did not start with this pandemic..... not all restaurants or businesses......... but some have done items that would not be seen as acceptable ....... like letting a sick person work etc. Maybe not sending people home when they should etc.

I worked in all sorts of jobs from restaurant work clear up to corporate administration ........... and I have seen at all levels................... people using their "sick" time if they had any as paid time off ..... not as sick time .......................so if someone cashed in to extend a weekend off to party etc ......... then got ill ...........they are showing up to work cause they used their sick time.
Who is at fault there? .............. business owners ? Is asking for proof employees are ill so this does not happen ok?

Laws or mandates etc ......... without enforcement are like saying " Stop or I will yell STOP again" . again the Honor system for how it is suppose to work.......

I would not want to go into business if I have to be a parent and a conscience to employees ............especially if they are supposed to be Adults.

Back