A reminder to all as to what really goes on behind closed doors (restaurant kitchens)

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here but there are simple things you cannot simply pass a law...personal responsibility or common sense are a few.......

This did not start with this pandemic..... not all restaurants or businesses......... but some have done items that would not be seen as acceptable ....... like letting a sick person work etc. Maybe not sending people home when they should etc.

I worked in all sorts of jobs from restaurant work clear up to corporate administration ........... and I have seen at all levels................... people using their "sick" time if they had any as paid time off ..... not as sick time .......................so if someone cashed in to extend a weekend off to party etc ......... then got ill ...........they are showing up to work cause they used their sick time.
Who is at fault there? .............. business owners ? Is asking for proof employees are ill so this does not happen ok?

Laws or mandates etc ......... without enforcement are like saying " Stop or I will yell STOP again" . again the Honor system for how it is suppose to work.......

I would not want to go into business if I have to be a parent and a conscience to employees ............especially if they are supposed to be Adults.
they show up to work sick cuz they abused their sick time using it to take off as vacation. we had some at the beginning of the pandemic claim they had covid so they could get 14 days off and then when they got it again they got off again.

I can honestly say, nonsense and unacceptable behaviour and practices wouldn't be tolerated by myself if I worked alongside workers not living up to food-safe practices.

I would have no qualms over turning-in and reporting anything I deemed as being out of the norm, and my report or reports wouldn't stop at management, I would take my claims to the top, outside that of management and ownership.

Fellow workers (kitchen staff) who witness off-colour practices are just as much if not more at fault than managers and owners.
how do you figure i'm responsible for what a fellow co-worker does? especially if i've told the boss and they did nothing. that's not my fault and there's no way in hell someone can blame me for that. i did my part. i'm not losing my job because others around me are irresponsible. i'm not the boss so it's not my job to make sure things are being done properly. and if i try to do that i will get told in no uncertain terms by the boss that it's not my job. all i can do is report it. i reported something this weekend and he didn't think i reported it right and told me if i was going to be a valuable employee i needed to learn how to report stuff properly and know my place.

so tell me again how i should be held responsible for the crap others do. no offense but i did my part. what they do after they've been told is on them. we can call the health dept and constantly report stuff and risk losing our jobs but it won't change anything. those same people will continue the same behavior time and time again. it's how they are. some food service personnel care about the job they do. some are just there for the paycheck. the ones that actually care are the only ones that ever suffer. i've been in this profession almost 40 yrs so i know how things go.

they show up to work sick cuz they abused their sick time using it to take off as vacation. we had some at the beginning of the pandemic claim they had covid so they could get 14 days off and then when they got it again they got off again.
exactly i have heard of this for many places.......
a person who works with my daughter has taken 3 sets of 2 weeks off. the first two the company paid for now they
won' t ...... and I do not blame them at all.

exactly i have heard of this for many places.......
a person who works with my daughter has taken 3 sets of 2 weeks off. the first two the company paid for now they
won' t ...... and I do not blame them at all.
it sucks when you're already short handed and they make matters worse with playing the covid card.

i haven't had a vacation in a year. the rest of them got theirs before they decided not to honor anymore. then they opened it back up and a couple got theirs and then i got screwed again. i could've played the covid card but i'm not that kind of person.

I am not trying to step on anyone's toes here but there are simple things you cannot simply pass a law...personal responsibility or common sense are a few.......

This did not start with this pandemic..... not all restaurants or businesses......... but some have done items that would not be seen as acceptable ....... like letting a sick person work etc. Maybe not sending people home when they should etc.

I worked in all sorts of jobs from restaurant work clear up to corporate administration ........... and I have seen at all levels................... people using their "sick" time if they had any as paid time off ..... not as sick time .......................so if someone cashed in to extend a weekend off to party etc ......... then got ill ...........they are showing up to work cause they used their sick time.
Who is at fault there? .............. business owners ? Is asking for proof employees are ill so this does not happen ok?

Laws or mandates etc ......... without enforcement are like saying " Stop or I will yell STOP again" . again the Honor system for how it is suppose to work.......

I would not want to go into business if I have to be a parent and a conscience to employees ............especially if they are supposed to be Adults.
This is where we fail one another as a society, not standing up for what's wrong and what's right.

Laws, guidelines, protocol... it all starts with a slow bubble, but simply throwing our hands up in the air and claiming that "we can't", isn't going to improve upon what's going on in restaurants as we speak.

We are our own worst enemies when it comes to things such as this.

As consumers we have all the power in the world... we are the power.

This is where we fail one another as a society, not standing up for what's wrong and what's right.

Laws, guidelines, protocol... it all starts with a slow bubble, but simply throwing our hands up in the air and claiming that "we can't", isn't going to improve upon what's going on in restaurants as we speak.

As consumers we have all the power in the world... we are the power.
You go get a job in a restaurant and see how you fare with that train of thought.

When it comes to the food industry, there is no room for excuses.

Any sick employee should be restricted from being anywhere in and around the workplace.

As consumers we have all the power in the world... we are the power
The power to do what is the question?
The power to accept abuse of system for the sake of ones who use it responsibly?

I just ask everyone to think about the other side of ANY issue..... some businesses would like to be generous with items like sick pay etc.................. but other members of society....... taught them the hard way that "no good deed goes unpunished".
Like I have said many times before some items people refuse to see unless they worked the front lines....

I am not claiming we can't .....I am asking how to make those who abuse item responsible? fire them and then pay them anyway as users would become generally unemployable.....
perhaps we just forget about that and ............enter excuse here_______________ and then wonder why customers do not want to pay $30.00 for a burger.

When it comes to the food industry, there is no room for excuses.

Any sick employee should be restricted from being anywhere in and around the workplace.
well next time you see one that's sick you haul the manager out of his office and give him hell. but i'm telling you...it will happen again. i'm not making excuses. i'm just telling you in the real world it doesn't work like you think it should.

how do you figure i'm responsible for what a fellow co-worker does? especially if i've told the boss and they did nothing. that's not my fault and there's no way in hell someone can blame me for that. i did my part. i'm not losing my job because others around me are irresponsible. i'm not the boss so it's not my job to make sure things are being done properly. and if i try to do that i will get told in no uncertain terms by the boss that it's not my job. all i can do is report it. i reported something this weekend and he didn't think i reported it right and told me if i was going to be a valuable employee i needed to learn how to report stuff properly and know my place.

so tell me again how i should be held responsible for the crap others do. no offense but i did my part. what they do after they've been told is on them. we can call the health dept and constantly report stuff and risk losing our jobs but it won't change anything. those same people will continue the same behavior time and time again. it's how they are. some food service personnel care about the job they do. some are just there for the paycheck. the ones that actually care are the only ones that ever suffer. i've been in this profession almost 40 yrs so i know how things go.
Food safety courses here in Canada are mandatory for all employees that process, prepare, handle, and serve food.

As an employee you are responsible if you witness, or are knowingly aware of unsafe, unsanitary, or otherwise unacceptable food related practices.

It's called being true to yourself, and being true to the customers. If you haven't the morals and standards to live up to such, as far as I'm concerned, you're in the wrong line of work.

and i'm not gonna be standing in the unemployment line on the verge of losing everything because some jerk comes to work sick and my boss won't do anything to stop it. why do i have to pay for someone elses wrong? you know?

I agree with some of what's been said. My father and mother never went to restaurants to eat. Home cooking most of the time and an occasional breakfast or tea at church functions. @win231 pointed out that many employees can't afford to stay home. Not only that, if they stay home too many days, they'd probably lose their jobs. Not providing sick pay is bad enough. How about no benefits at all. My cousin worked at a McDonald's in Brooklyn for over 25 years; she was a supervisor for much of that time. She didn't get retiree benefits.

Food safety courses here in Canada are mandatory for all employees that process, prepare, handle, and serve food.

As an employee you are responsible if you witness, or are knowingly aware of unsafe, unsanitary, or otherwise unacceptable food related practices.

It's called being true to yourself and being true to the customers, if you haven't the morals and standards to live up to such, as far as I'm concerned, you're in the wrong line of work.
we do those here too. it doesn't stop it from happening.

It's called being true to yourself, and being true to the customers. If you haven't the morals and standards to live up to such, as far as I'm concerned, you're in the wrong line of work.
So people who turn this stuff in and nothing gets done have no morals? Well then let me ask you this...since someone like me has no morals what line of work would you suggest I be in? Oh I know...I'll go apply for disability so I can sit on my butt at home on the taxpayers dollar while those people who can't maintain food safety standards still wipe their nose while making your burger. Yeah that will show them.

The power to do what is the question?
The power to accept abuse of system for the sake of ones who use it responsibly?

I just ask everyone to think about the other side of ANY issue..... some businesses would like to be generous with items like sick pay etc.................. but other members of society....... taught them the hard way that "no good deed goes unpunished".
Like I have said many times before some items people refuse to see unless they worked the front lines....

I am not claiming we can't .....I am asking how to make those who abuse item responsible? fire them and then pay them anyway as users would become generally unemployable.....
perhaps we just forget about that and ............enter excuse here_______________ and then wonder why customers do not want to pay $30.00 for a burger.
For starters, food industry workers should be under video surveillance 24/7.

When and if there's a problem, video can be reviewed and the problem or event addressed accordingly.

That's just one way I see as a viable way to ensure a strict workplace environment is upheld and abided by.

It would help make for a no-nonsense environment.

Just forget it. It's not even worth the argument. I don't think you understand what really happens in these places and how difficult it is to get anything done about it.

well next time you see one that's sick you haul the manager out of his office and give him hell. but i'm telling you...it will happen again. i'm not making excuses. i'm just telling you in the real world it doesn't work like you think it should.
If I were in a restaurant (any restaurant) and a server was sick, you can bet your bottom dollar there would be :poop: to pay. I'd make a scene like no other.

I wouldn't dream of pretending or sitting quiet over such, and neither should any other patron. I wouldn't allow my own family to handle my food if they were sick, so why would I allow staff in a restaurant to?

My beef (pardon the pun) wouldn't start and stop at the restaurant level, I'd be filing a BBB report, and I'd be contacting the regional health authorities, Worksafe BC (because that's where we reside), as well as the BC Restaurant and Food Services Association (again, because BC is the province we reside in), and... I'd be contacting head office to report the incident if the restaurant was a chain.

The reason "it doesn't work like that", is because employees in the industry have allowed themselves to fall victim to employers bullying, scare tactics, intimidation, and threats.

Marchand v. Barnhill, et al. :: 2019 :: Delaware Supreme Court Decisions :: Delaware Case Law :: Delaware Law :: US Law :: Justia

Report Indicates 20 Percent of Serious Food Safety Violations Go Ignored - Quality Assurance & Food Safety (qualityassurancemag.com)

State and federal authorities let these places slide all the time. They even blatantly ignore things that are in plain sight. So it's not the employees fault. If it's reported and goes ignored and not dealt with then I have done my part.

Marg have you ever worked in food service?
No, I have not, but I can tell you if I did I sure wouldn't serve as modeling clay for some power-hungry employer looking to mold, shape me, and roll me into something against my morals, my standards, and my own better judgment, in order for them to meet their own needs.

To me it’s kind of like eating beef...I don’t want to even think about what goes on behind the scenes or I’d never eat it again. And then we’d have all this cattle running around taking over the world 😂
Same with restaurants. I just prefer not to think about it 😊

Marchand v. Barnhill, et al. :: 2019 :: Delaware Supreme Court Decisions :: Delaware Case Law :: Delaware Law :: US Law :: Justia

Report Indicates 20 Percent of Serious Food Safety Violations Go Ignored - Quality Assurance & Food Safety (qualityassurancemag.com)

State and federal authorities let these places slide all the time. They even blatantly ignore things that are in plain sight. So it's not the employees fault. If it's reported and goes ignored and not dealt with then I have done my part.
Once again that's where consumers fail one another.

If people are aware of such reports and blatant ignorance, then consumers need to join as one and move to deliver their message farther up.

Back