A Second Language

Jules

SF VIP
Do you speak a second language? Maybe more.

My 18 GD was discussing this and I said that she should pick one that would help with a career. Suggestions.

Chinese would be good but very difficult.

As a senior, if I were still going to winter in Mexico, I’d be learning some Spanish. I’m amazed at those who don’t even try.

I don’t have an ear for languages but am willing to give it a polite try when travelling abroad.

You non-Canadians may think we all speak French. It’s our second official language. I do have several years of it. Other than when in Quebec, there’s been no need for it for me. I’ve only been there a few times. For federal civil servants, it‘s definitely an asset or required for some jobs.

Funny that you posted this today as we received a clip from hubby's sister. Her grandson is doing pretty well with learning Spanish.

I guess we can't upload video clips. I am unable to.

Last edited:
You travel to the South or New England, (Maine, New Hemp and Vermont) you will findthese folks do not speak English, so I guess that's a second language

I took 2 years of Spanish in High School. Just recently I decided to work on rebuilding my skills a bit by using some of the stuff available on the web.

Two things: I am surprised at how much I learned 60 years ago is still lurking in my noggin. I am also surprised at how hard it is to get my 76 year old memory to retain new stuff.

es difícil ser viejo (or something like that)

I took 2 years of Spanish in High School. Just recently I decided to work on rebuilding my skills a bit by using some of the stuff available on the web.

Two things: I am surprised at how much I learned 60 years ago is still lurking in my noggin. I am also surprised at how hard it is to get my 76 year old memory to retain new stuff.

es difícil ser viejo (or something like that)
Spanish is a beautiful language also. It’s probably great to learn a new language at this age to help the memory.

Back