A Warning About Doctors Office Visits

fmdog44

A week ago I posted to beware of pens in doctors offices and now I see this to back my facts: Thanks to a parade of patients coming through all day, most things in a doctor’s office harbor germs or bacteria—especially the sign-in pen. In fact, there are 46,000 more germs on that pen than on an average toilet seat. Other gross things to avoid are the waiting room chair armrest and the door handle.
Still think I'm overreacting?

Think about all the people that use a licked finger to turn a magazine page. This is one reason I have always made a restroom stop before leaving a doctors office or hospital to wash hands.

A week ago I posted to beware of pens in doctors offices and now I see this to back my facts: Thanks to a parade of patients coming through all day, most things in a doctor’s office harbor germs or bacteria—especially the sign-in pen. In fact, there are 46,000 more germs on that pen than on an average toilet seat. Other gross things to avoid are the waiting room chair armrest and the door handle.
I have been debating all week - should I go to my appointment next week for a cortisone shot (never had one before) - or cancel, due to the risk of exposure. Still haven't made a decision, but this is definitely something to consider!

I'm going in Monday to the dentist to have a permanent crown put in, I've had the temporary for three weeks and they said it was important to put in the permanent. They assured me that they were taking all necessary precautions with their patients and were only doing important or emergency procedures.

They said they were rinsing with a hydrogen peroxide rinse mixed with another ingredient, don't remember now what they said. Also, I would be rinsing with it before they did my crown. Since I already paid on my last visit, I can go in and leave quickly when they're done. Won't be reading any magazines or getting their early this time. Will go to their restroom in the hallway for thoroughly wash my hands afterward, like I've always done. Since I take supplements and have a pretty strong immune system, I'm not too concerned.

I have been debating all week - should I go to my appointment next week for a cortisone shot (never had one before) - or cancel, due to the risk of exposure. Still haven't made a decision, but this is definitely something to consider!
If you don't get sick often and have a strong immune system, you can probably go. You can wear those disposable nitrile gloves, or any gloves if it makes you feel safer. You can also wear a mask, even a dust mask is probably okay for a short visit. Just don't linger there too long, or have contact with anyone you don't need to. Bring your own pen if you like, that's always a good idea.

You can always call ahead and speak with them about your concerns and see what they are doing to ensure your safety. When I spoke with my dentist on the phone, I was ready to cancel if I felt the need to, but I was reassured and will be going on Monday. Good luck!

Wish I had your appointment instead. Had a front crown split vertically; no dentist available - superglued it. I think I will call for reassurance/advice as you suggested. I really thought they might call me, since my 'tennis elbow' isn't critical - except for yard work. I was going to wear a mask and gloves - but should warn them that I will enter that way. They want all people with Covid-19 symptoms to call in advance so they can prepare safety measures. I really worry more about what the doctor has been exposed to - might not have symptoms yet. Definitely, won't sit or use the communal pen or read the magazines. We had our first death in my county and learned that a person at the YMCA took part in classes mid-March has tested positive. Why they still had classes. I don't understand. I think the Y is less than 4 miles from me... yep - scarier when it happens near home, near family. Good luck with your dental appointment... Oh - and I brush with peroxide and baking soda and get rave reviews on the health of my teeth and gums.... this may be what they recommend for you.

You may not be overreacting, but you are lacking information.
You don't get a virus merely by touching something that is contaminated. You have to touch your face after touching a contaminated surface.
Or, you have to inhale droplets from someone's cough or sneeze AND they have to be infected in order to give it to you.

To one and all, I appreciate the feedback. Still haven't decided to go or cancel. My appointment is Tuesday - so if the clinic is going to cancel, I should hear from them tomorrow when they would normally do a reminder call. Rather hoping they do. Dying doesn't scare me - I just don't want to be sick and miserable when I do.

You may not be overreacting, but you are lacking information.
You don't get a virus merely by touching something that is contaminated. You have to touch your face after touching a contaminated surface.
Or, you have to inhale droplets from someone's cough or sneeze AND they have to be infected in order to give it to you.
That's the rub - I frequently rub my eyes and can't seem to break the habit. One thing I did on my one outing to buy bird food is to keep my driving glasses on when I go in - can't see anything clearly, but it does remind me to keep my paws out of my orbs.

I've decided to drop out of an otherwise enjoyable bridge game because of two women who can't seem to deal the cards, or pick a card out of their hand without licking their finger first. Even after the worst of this pandemic is over, will I want to go back to playing with them? I don't think so.

I suggest carrying one of those very small packages of tissues. Start and get in the habit of using one of these tissues every time you feel the need to touch, scratch, wipe, etc., anything on your face or ears.

To one and all, I appreciate the feedback. Still haven't decided to go or cancel. My appointment is Tuesday - so if the clinic is going to cancel, I should hear from them tomorrow when they would normally do a reminder call. Rather hoping they do. Dying doesn't scare me - I just don't want to be sick and miserable when I do.

If you don't feel safe going, cancel the appointment yourself. If my doctor's office hadn't cancelled my appointments, I was going to do so myself.

My SO has a DR appointment in a couple of days- she will call Monday to see if they really, really need to see her. I've got my fingers crossed.

Being somewhat of a germ-o-phobe way before this pandemic started, I use my own pen. If by some mishap I don't have one with me, I use hand sanitizer immediately after using the office pen. My doctor has hand sanitizer sitting right at the registration area. I line the toilet seat with toilet tissue (squatting does not work for me...LOL) and use paper towel to grab the door handle on the way out (and back into the office). I posted this on another site the other day and people don't want to believe but it may be true because public rest rooms get cleaned daily, sometimes several times daily according to where they are located. Many people don't think about disinfecting their phones, at all, even after having used the bathroom several times. My doctor's office may have started offering video visits. I received an email from their medical group (several doctors in different locations) and I'll have to login to see if his office is participating.
external-content.duckduckgo-2.jpg

I went to my dental appointment today and was pleasantly surprised. There were really no people to be seen in the small building, other businesses there appeared to be shut down for now. My dentist had his door open to the hallway, so although I had a pair of brown work gloves in my pocket for doorknobs, I didn't have to use them.

I also brought my own sunglasses, since they always give you a pair to wear due to the overhead light or spray from treatment. There was a man in the hallway sanitizing the banisters.

I was the only patient there at the time, nobody in the waiting room. Just the girl behind the desk/counter, the dentist and his assistant. They said they were spacing out their appointments so there was no close contact with other patients.

Before I sat in the chair, they said it was just sanitized along with everything else in their office, all surfaces, equipment, and even the walls. They had me rinse for 30 seconds with an anti-viral wash, they said they also did that.

The whole experience was very good. I went to the hallway restroom and thoroughly washed my hands before I went out to my car. They said they were doing no routine work like cleanings, only necessary visits. My husband will be going there next week for some pain he's having, may be a cracked tooth. He was happy to hear things went so well for me.

My SO has a DR appointment in a couple of days- she will call Monday to see if they really, really need to see her. I've got my fingers crossed.
If they are taking the necessary precautions, it should be safe for her to go. Good luck, let us know how things went;

Our pharmacy stopped requiring the signature for now and you can only use the drive through..Our doctor's office has a bottle of sanitizer at the check in desk..
We were just talking about that too. I was paid up already, so didn't have to stop and pay with my card at the dentist's counter. My husband is going next week and he said the girl behind the counter should be able to just take his card number verbally and not need to handle the card or get a signature. Happy to know they're not insisting on signatures now, especially for regular customers. 👍

Got an email from my vet. It said they no longer allow people into the lobby. You have to have an appt, call the office when you park in their lot, they'll call you when ready, you hand them the pet and they take to vet. You wait outside for the pet and pay by phone and ?? (forget).

Back