Adult Kid with Disabilities

Patnono

My middle daughter was born with a learning disabilty with a sever form of dyslexia which is hereditary, ( her dad's side). I was told she would Never be employable which devastated me... fast forward she's now 35 and has a PT job, but will probably never earn enough to support herself. Thing is now I'll be 65 with diabetes. I live in California wondering of any programs that can help people like her? I would like for her to make a transition to living independently in case there's a waiting list and if something happens to me?

Here in NY there is something called Self Determination. This is a program where the person has a say over how thier time and benefits are spent. My last job was working with someone in this program. They can hire a staff who works as kind of a life coach. Their Budget which is funded by Medicaid pays the staff salary and some other expenses through various fiscal intermediary. The FI becomes the employer of records and pays benefits etc.

I worked with my person on learning to become more independent and learn skills to live and function independently. I helped her learn skills in shopping and anything else. She now lives in a rented home with two other ladies. All are disabled. Because all three are physically disabled also, they each hire their own full time staff , also paid by Medicaid, through CD-PAP Consumer Directed Personal Assistant Program

You will want to see if California offers similar programs. If she has a Service Co coordinator this person can help.

Wow, thanks for the information, I don't know if she would qualify? She had applied for SSI disabilty guess she wasn't disabled enough she didn't qualify for that. But the state did help her with job training, which has come to a halt, she's lacking confidence to do the state test. She sometimes difficult to reason with because of the way she processes things?

I would check with any advocacy groups, or agencies that work with people with disabilities. I know that here in NY there are good services in place. Find out how you can get your daughter a job coach. Their job is to help match the person with a job that is do-able.

I would also have another go at applying for disability. Many people are turned down on t heir first try and go on to be approved later. You just have to be sure you have all your ducks in a row. I would strongly suggest consulting an attorney who specializes in this area. You can find one who will not charge you for an initial consultation and Social Security has strict rules about how and how much the attorney is paid -- usually he is paid directly by SS out of back benefits. Check into it to get the true scoop. Call your local Bar Association to get the names of attorneys who practice before the Social Security Administration. It's a fairly specialized area of law.

I would also have another go at applying for disability. Many people are turned down on t heir first try and go on to be approved later. You just have to be sure you have all your ducks in a row. I would strongly suggest consulting an attorney who specializes in this area. You can find one who will not charge you for an initial consultation and Social Security has strict rules about how and how much the attorney is paid -- usually he is paid directly by SS out of back benefits. Check into it to get the true scoop. Call your local Bar Association to get the names of attorneys who practice before the Social Security Administration. It's a fairly specialized area of law.

Good advice.

My son was autistic [and MR because he was autistic] so there were lots of both federal and state programs/benefits available for him. One interesting state benefit, since he had Medicaid, the state would reimburse me for his group health insurance premium because in the long run, it saved the state money.

I suspect California would have more state benefits than here in Texas.

I've been researching housing sites. The state helped her with getting job training. I'm concerned that if something happens to me, where would she Go? I have serious health issues. So trying to get her placed before something happens. She's being resistant to change, I haven't told her what I'm doing. Her disabilty is mental, she processes things differently, she's 6th grade level. There is government Red tape, not so easy. Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck

I can only speak from my own experience.

Children who have obvious problems are usually screened for mental disabilities while in public school. When my son was in public school, he was referred to the Dallas county mental health center for various testing including IQ. Once his disability was officially diagnosed, he was assigned a social worker who advised me of federal and state programs/benefits suited for his specific needs. The housing option for him if I could no longer care for him was a group home. In a group home several people with disabilities live with house parents in a regular house in a regular neighborhood. Usually those who live in such group homes are sent to work shops or other programs during the day. However, my son lived with me until he suddenly and unexpectedly died during a seizure when he was 38.

That's great there, my daughters school tried to down play her disabilty and did NOT tell me about her rights. Her teacher informed me. After I found this out, believe me I was on their ass'es ALL the time, I was at every meeting, I know they did not like it. Her disabilty was so bad that they said she would Never be employable. It seemed they gave up on her? Well I didn't, she has a job and even did some college. Unfortunately she is still somewhat limited in her earrings and was assisted by the state with job training. She has though come along way.

She did long time ago,, she would have to hire an attorney to fight it. Mentally would not be able to handle it, she's at 6 grade level. The state provided job training for her.

Back