Aging in Place - Have you made preparations?

Another thought. If you happen to have a long term care insurance policy, check to see if it has a benefit for in home care. Some do and it will pay daily amounts for aids, nurses, etc.

Also start looking into homecare services including medical and domestic(cleaning etc). Sooner or later one will need them if they don't have family that will do domestic chores in particular. If there is somekind of medical issue/care involved sometime insurance/medicare will pay for home visits. But just like a hospital there has to be medical treatment involved.

Right now in many areas alot of generic home care or aid is only available for 8-24 hours at a time. Many seniors just need a daily visit for an hour or so to tidy up, deal with any medical issues, change sheets, take out trash etc.

I was told several years ago by a now retired nurse they want more home care in general. It's cheaper to send a nurse out to a home than the expense of staffing and maintaining a hospital wing for care. Hopefully more services are covered or drop in price.
Good advice. Even if non-reimbursable expenses, they're worthwhile if they allow us to stay in our own homes longer.

Pondering it now, I'd feel comfortable staying in my home if my needs were limited to these: an occasional handyman, a kindly neighbor who'd drag my trash cans to and from the curb each week, and a weekly housekeeper. I would feel comfortably relying on grocery deliveries, transportation services like Uber, medical alert watch or pendant, adult diapers if I become incontinent, and one of my children to oversee or manage my finances.

If unable to safely prepare the simplest meal (pulling together a sandwich or microwaving something) or being unable to get myself out of bed, it'll be time to look into assisted living or (heaven forbid) long-term nursing home care.

My greatest health fears are DH or I suffering a debilitating stroke or dementia.

It's useful and comforting to think about these scenarios while still mentally and physically able. DH & I have told our children numerous times that if they notice either of us slipping mentally or otherwise, we need them to please, please, please say something.

Back