Air Travel Changing

I've used air travel for probably over 50 years....and it sure has changed over the decades. Back in the 1960's, when I took my first flight, air travel was almost a special experience. People dressed up like they were going out for a special occasion, and the airline service was almost like going to a luxury hotel. Now, some people show up acting like they are traveling on a city bus or subway....and I'm surprised that a person can still get a cup of water without paying a surcharge.

I used to love flying because the airlines treated people like people and not like cattle. I no longer fly unless there’s a family emergency. And as I live in a really beautiful place I don’t miss it one bit.

I don't fly, anymore. For business, I flew four to six times a week, when I was a young man. Now, with the types of folks who fly, chances of terroristic activities, unsafe craft, unskilled maintenance workers, crazy pilots........No thanks!

I've always preferred driving, even cross country. I like the scenery, and I like making unplanned stops to check out points of interest. My world travels are over, obviously, and I regret that, but there's always the internet, to "take me" to those places I'll never visit, in person.

I don't fly, anymore. For business, I flew four to six times a week, when I was a young man. Now, with the types of folks who fly, chances of terroristic activities, unsafe craft, unskilled maintenance workers, crazy pilots........No thanks!

I've always preferred driving, even cross country. I like the scenery, and I like making unplanned stops to check out points of interest. My world travels are over, obviously, and I regret that, but there's always the internet, to "take me" to those places I'll never visit, in person.

As for unsafe aircraft, you must be referring to the Boeing 737 MAX 8 & 900 series. Boeing definitely has some software issues with their new flight system, but I am also confident that they will get it done. I live by my statement that flying has never been safer that it is at this time in our lives.

I was only a few weeks away from being trained on the Boeing Triple 7 and I was looking forward to it. However, along came an early out deal that I would have been foolish to walk away from.

I refuse to fly anymore. I got treated awful in the inspection line. I told them I had a colostomy and please don't embarrass me. They still made me throw my arms in the air and spin around in a circle while they took x-ray pictures in front of the public. NEVER AGAIN.

I would NEVER allow those poorly-trained agents to use an x-ray source, of any kind, on me. I don't allow dentists to x-ray me! Next time, if there is one, demand a private search, in a closed room, no x-rays! Other than that, as you're currently doing, and as I do, likewise: When it comes to flying, JUST SAY "NO!"

I am a little out of touch with the new TSA screening rules and laws that have recently been passed and a few still going through the Appeals Courts. The very last that I was aware of was that passengers have the right to ask for a private screening or pat down. Passengers also may bring along a companion to witness the private screening and passengers may also ask for a same gender TSA agent to conduct the pat down. If a pat down is agreed upon, the passenger may request and the TSA Agent shall change their gloves before proceeding with a pat down.

This is not something bad. This is being done for everyone's protection. Airlines have no authority over the TSA Agents. They are hired by government agents. I will admit that I have seen some pretty picky agents and that not all agents act in a consistent manner. The manner in which a TSA Agent conducts his scan in Tampa, may not be the same as a TSA Agent performs his job in Denver. If there are any alerts that have been issued and Agents have been forewarned to look for certain people or items, the public would never know about it for obvious reasons.

It's all about keeping the friendly skies friendly and safe for everyone.

THE PILOT -heard a few screams Oldman lol
--it would have been me for sure .. anyway iam all for high security in any airport 'even if it takes longer . better safe than sorry I say .

I am a little out of touch with the new TSA screening rules and laws that have recently been passed and a few still going through the Appeals Courts. The very last that I was aware of was that passengers have the right to ask for a private screening or pat down. Passengers also may bring along a companion to witness the private screening and passengers may also ask for a same gender TSA agent to conduct the pat down. If a pat down is agreed upon, the passenger may request and the TSA Agent shall change their gloves before proceeding with a pat down.

This is not something bad. This is being done for everyone's protection. Airlines have no authority over the TSA Agents. They are hired by government agents. I will admit that I have seen some pretty picky agents and that not all agents act in a consistent manner. The manner in which a TSA Agent conducts his scan in Tampa, may not be the same as a TSA Agent performs his job in Denver. If there are any alerts that have been issued and Agents have been forewarned to look for certain people or items, the public would never know about it for obvious reasons.

It's all about keeping the friendly skies friendly and safe for everyone.
I get security issues totally. That is why I was upfront with my condition. They should have taken me into a private area for inspection.

I will be flying in a few weeks. Now that I am retired, I go through the same TSA checks everyone else does at the airport. I do have a TSA clearance, which helps speed the process a little. I think anyone that doesn’t mind spending $80.00 or so dollars can also get a KTN number by making application and obtaining the necessary clearances.

TSA PreCheck is $85 for a five-yr period. It does save a lot of time, but that didn't help when everyone had to wait for the destination airport to clear our plane's flight path because of bad weather. At least we could hang around the airport and didn't have to wait inside the plane!

For short hops, we're going to start using semi-private airlines. We live very close to one of the airports they use, and for the places we want to go, it's easier, faster, and worth the extra cost to be able to park the car nearby and walk onto the plane 1/2 hr before take-off - just like the old days, LOL.

We just returned from our trip to Florida. The trip was great, except for the flights. We flew Southwest Airlines and was scheduled to leave on Monday evening at 7:30 pm. As we “arrived” at the airport, I got a text from SW telling me that my flight was delayed until 9:30. Oh, crap. What a start to a vacation. We traveled with our daughter and grandson. We finally got off the ground at 10:10 pm. and arrived in Ft. Lauderdale at midnight, which we had to then get our luggage, call the shuttle and go to the hotel. We got to bed at 1:00 am.

Yesterday, on our return trip, we were to fly out of Tampa at 4:00 pm. I received another text at 10:00 am telling me that my flight was canceled. Are you kidding me? I called SW and was able to book a return trip at 11:45. We had to really hustle to make it, but yes, we did. In fact, we were 10 minutes before boarding. Not bad, but I’m glad that no speed traps were setup because we may have been late.

Anyway, we went, had a really great time, and came home all safe and well, so, I can look back on this trip and say it was a pleasure to have done it.

Does anyone have trouble getting through security? I have a terrible time. Not with my luggage, not with my carry ons or electrical toys.... but with me. I have no metal in my pockets, rings, watches, belts, nothing. I'm as close as I can get to my birthday suit as I can with a few clothes on. But every time I go thru the metal detector I set that thing off. I have looked at the scans, and it shows normally my chest area and thighs. so I normally go to the side and have to be patted down and then they use the portable wand. I know they are only doing their job when the alarms go off, but its hard to understand. Yet, although I fully expect it now, it seems to be great amusement for my wife!

I can't say I've ever had any real problems with TSA. I've even come across some with a sense of humor.

Once I had a large rock in my carry-on that I was taking home as a souvenir. I expected problems with it. Yep, bag got pulled by young TSA agent. He called over his supervisor. I said, "Oh, I'm sure it's the rock in my bag, right?" He said, "Yes, it's a rock for sure, but I have to look at it and besides, I told Tom here that the next time he called me over for a rock, I was going to take it out of the bag and beat him to death with it." We had a good laugh and the rock and I headed to the gate.

I did "fail" the scatter-gram once because I had half a Kleenex in my back pocket.

Funniest time was when they were yelling "DON'T PUT SHOES IN THE BINS! PUT THEM DIRECTLY ON THE BELT!" So I did. At the other end, the bin comes rolling out, my carry one comes rolling out, one shoe comes rolling out. I wait....and wait....and wait. Finally, I tell the agent, "Only one shoe came out." She looks at me quite dully and says, "Were there two?" My mouth gets ready to respond with, "OH MY GAWD, I MUST HAVE FORGOTTEN TO WEAR *TWO* SHOES TODAY!!!" while my brain is screaming, "DO *NOT* GET SNARKY WITH A TSA AGENT!!!" For one of the few times in my life, my brain won out over my mouth. They eventually fished my shoe out of the machine and I dodged the "no-fly list" once again.

I have also read recently that airfares are expected to rise.
I also wouldn’t mind if they would make everyone check their bags and get rid of the overhead bins. It takes forever to get everyone off the plane after landing.

I started a personal boycott of the airlines several years ago for several reasons, one of them being the way the TSA was treating people (children, seniors, Muslims). I read that people will have to start showing their passports or enhanced drivers' licenses to travel within the U.S. as well. I also read that facial recognition software has some flaws regarding biases when it comes to people of color. The software companies were made aware and are allegedly going to try to fix those issues.

Back in 56, the Army flew me from Binghamton, NY to San Francisco, CA. I flew mostly on a TWA Constellation. This is the kind of meals we received.

View attachment 73926View attachment 73927View attachment 73927
Ah yes, TWA - Teeny Weeny Airlines

Also the now defunct Belgian airline Sabena - Such A Bloody Experience Never Again

Australia's QANTAS or as comedian Warren Mitchell once said in an ad "Quaintarse"

And here in Sweden our own SAS - "Startar Alltid Sent" which freely translates to Always Starts Late

In the past several years, we have only flown on SW Airlines....fairly short flights to/from Denver, or Las Vegas. We haven't taken a trip this past year, but we've always had good results with SW. Often, we spend more time at the airport, than the actual flight. Once this virus thing settles down, we'll fly again...hopefully the air travel will recover nicely.

Back