All The Live long Day...."Now departing on Track Two"!

iu

ABC 7ZR: "A Tale from the Track" (1993)
July 1993 marked 15 years since the cessation of the Tasman Limited, and ABC Radio 7ZR's Chris Neilson hosted a special segment of archive news and interviews to mark the occasion. In "A Tale from the Track", Bill Brundle narrates a brief history of the service in a segment prepared by DVRPS historian Dennis Hewitt.

Rescue Train Swept off the Tracks by the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane

"On September 2, 1935, a powerful hurricane slammed into the middle Florida Keys. Known as the Labor Day Hurricane, it was the first Category 5 storm to strike the United States in recorded history. The hurricane claimed at least 485 lives, including about 260 World War I veterans working on a section of the Overseas Highway in a federal relief project". (Read More)

616x510.jpg

For my wife's birthday, we took a private rail car trip from Seattle to Los Angeles. There were 2 cars attached to the back of the AMTRAK Coast Starlight. There were 2 cars and only 8 passengers. I have attached the story.

Attachments

• KATHY's birthday 2013.pdf
    291 KB · Views: 5
On the West Coast of Tasmania there is one of the worlds great undiscovered railway trips.
Going from Queenstown to the small harbourside town of Strahan.
The railway was constructed in 1896.
The Mt Lyell No 1 Steam Engine was build the same year in Glascow and sent - dismantled - to Macquarie Harbour - Strahan.
The Number 1 engine was used to haul copper ore from the MT Lyell Copper Mine to be shipped to Europe through the port.
Because of the mountainous terrain, a system was devised to allow the ore train to negotiate the inclines and as a braking system on the down slopes.
Called an ABT Rack and Pinion System. It was developed by Swiss Engineer, Dr Roman Abt.
unnamed.jpg

The Rail line closed down in 1963 and fell into disrepair.
Some very committed locals lobbied the Government to provide funding for restoration works and having been granted $20 Million work was completed in 2002.
The restoration was a monumental feat with 42 bridges across the Queen and King Rivers needing reconstruction.
December 2002 saw the first trip along the Railway since 1963.
There are not many videos of the restored Engine and Railway Trip but here are two.

Last edited:
The owners of the Fillmore and Western tourist RR have retired. The Ventura County Commission has selected a new operator, Sierra Northern.
A sister company, Mendocino Railway, will operate tourist trains on the line if it determines it's cost effective to do so. Or it might choose not to operate on the line.
I would be sad if they do not run tourist trains. I loved being a car attendant, helping people on and off the trains and punching tickets.
conductor.jpg

Back