Ingredients: serves 4
  • 2 large ripe avocados
  • ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • 3-4 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 slices rye bread
  • 2 tablespoon Chimichurri sauce
Instructions:
  1. Slice avocados in half lengthwise and remove pit. Using a spoon, scoop the avocado flesh from the skin and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, chimichurri sauce, salt, and pepper, then using a fork, mash the avocado and mix until blended. Set aside.
  2. Trim the crusts from the slices of rye bread. Then cut slices; 3/4 inch thick..
  3. When ready to serve, lightly toast the rye bread. Once toasted, spread the avocado mixture onto the rye toasts. Garnish with edible flowers.
Chimichurri Sauce
  • 1 cup fresh parsley

• ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil

• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

• 2 tablespoons dried oregano

• 2 teaspoons ground cumin

• 1 teaspoon salt

• ½ tablespoon minced garlic

• ½ tablespoon pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot
Directions
Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    Place the parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin, salt, garlic and hot pepper sauce into the container of a blender or food processor. Blend for about 10 seconds on medium speed, or until ingredients are evenly blended.

Do you have COVID?
No. But several co-workers have been exposed to one that tested positive and his wife is in our unit. They are still working. If they get it and get sent home then I will likely be working almost all the time. We have no one to replace the staff that will be out. Also our community numbers are on the rise. If things keep going the way they've been I'm not sure what will happen at work so I was enjoying my dinner while it's quiet.

These are a couple things I like cooking with. They give me the mild flavor I like, and not spicy. The stir fry sauce is self explanatory.
The rub I use when baking chicken breasts or pork chops. I put the meat in an egg wash. Then mix the rub with some bread crumbs and coat the meat. Easy Peasy.

And, for desert...Pringles.

IMG_20210126_145109.jpg IMG_20210126_145218.jpg

A Man's Main Moto Meal: In the off chance someone might be interested in an easy-to-fix meal, this is one of my favorites after a day a of riding - my version of "bubble and squeak." A satisfying repast, it has lots of leftovers including potatoes, onions, peppers, cabbage plus some smoked andouille sausage and bacon cooked up in a skillet with a little beef broth infused with dijon mustard.

sep13_2020_bubbleandsqueek.jpg

There's really no recipe, whatever's around is just thrown into the skillet.

A Man's Main Moto Meal: In the off chance someone might be interested in an easy-to-fix meal, this is one of my favorites after a day a of riding - my version of "bubble and squeak." A satisfying repast, it has lots of leftovers including potatoes, onions, peppers, cabbage plus some smoked andouille sausage and bacon cooked up in a skillet with a little beef broth infused with dijon mustard.

Might be good with hamburger.

That looks very similar to the breakfast hash I make from whatever I have left from the previous night's dinner.

It's always good but sometimes it's fantastic!

My fancy-pants dining at home and spending the weeks pay for ingredients dinner!
You'd get that 'spending' part if you lived where I do :LOL:

Rack of lamb, baked potato and cauliflower with cream sauce.
IMG_0416.jpg

My fancy-pants dining at home and spending the weeks pay for ingredients dinner!
You'd get that 'spending' part if you lived where I do :LOL:

Rack of lamb, baked potato and cauliflower with cream sauce.
View attachment 153251

A whole week? Your groceries that expensive? I used to live on $800 a month so I get it. There's no way I'd be comfy blowing a weeks worth of wages on 1 meal.

Last edited:
A whole week? Your groceries that expensive? I used to live on $800 a month so I get it. There's no way I'd be comfy blowing a weeks worth of wages on 1 meal.
A weeks pay was an exaggeration but yeah; food's expensive when you have to fly it in. Locals protest the 'food poverty' issue here almost weekly:

Peanut Butter.jpgPepper.jpg

I eat mostly Caribou, fish or Musk Ox when I can get those products through barter with locals but every once in awhile, I treat myself to a meal that might cost me well over a hundred dollars in ingredients. It's a big deal and something you do to feel a sense of normalcy. Life is very different in the Artic. It's down to basics and natures food chain. It's not Costco & Wal-Mart here, lol. Any trip to the grocery store is a process. How much do I have to spend on food for the next week? Then it's decisions between 'want to have' and 'need to have'. When you're paying $8.00 for a loaf of bread and $15.00 for a jug of orange juice, things get real in a hurry.

A weeks pay was an exaggeration but yeah; food's expensive when you have to fly it in. Locals protest the 'food poverty' issue here almost weekly:

View attachment 153254View attachment 153414

I eat mostly Caribou, fish or Musk Ox when I can get those products through barter with locals but every once in awhile, I treat myself to a meal that might cost me well over a hundred dollars in ingredients. It's a big deal and something you do to feel a sense of normalcy. Life is very different in the Artic. It's down to basics and natures food chain. It's not Costco & Wal-Mart here, lol. Any trip to the grocery store is a process. How much do I have to spend on food for the next week? Then it's decisions between 'want to have' and 'need to have'. When you're paying $8.00 for a loaf of bread and $15.00 for a jug of orange juice, things get real in a hurry.
If things keep going the way they are here in the US things may get really real here too. It's $10 for a meal that used to be $6 five years ago. Things got so bad for me at one point before I moved to where I am today that I was going to the food bank. If not for them I would've gone hungry for sure.

View attachment 118544
AVOCADO CHIMICHURRI CANAPES WITH EDIBLE FLOWERS

Ingredients: serves 4
  • 2 large ripe avocados
  • ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • 3-4 grinds of freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 slices rye bread
  • 2 tablespoon Chimichurri sauce
Instructions:
  1. Slice avocados in half lengthwise and remove pit. Using a spoon, scoop the avocado flesh from the skin and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, chimichurri sauce, salt, and pepper, then using a fork, mash the avocado and mix until blended. Set aside.
  2. Trim the crusts from the slices of rye bread. Then cut slices; 3/4 inch thick..
  3. When ready to serve, lightly toast the rye bread. Once toasted, spread the avocado mixture onto the rye toasts. Garnish with edible flowers.
Chimichurri Sauce
  • 1 cup fresh parsley

• ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil

• 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

• 2 tablespoons dried oregano

• 2 teaspoons ground cumin

• 1 teaspoon salt

• ½ tablespoon minced garlic

• ½ tablespoon pepper sauce (such as Frank's Red Hot
Directions
Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    Place the parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin, salt, garlic and hot pepper sauce into the container of a blender or food processor. Blend for about 10 seconds on medium speed, or until ingredients are evenly blended.
cb14248d0700d26609134c2ece29ba96[1].gif

No. But several co-workers have been exposed to one that tested positive and his wife is in our unit. They are still working. If they get it and get sent home then I will likely be working almost all the time. We have no one to replace the staff that will be out. Also our community numbers are on the rise. If things keep going the way they've been I'm not sure what will happen at work so I was enjoying my dinner while it's quiet.
I am so glad that my husband retired when he did (July 2020); his co-employees were getting infected with the virus. They all work in the Emergency Room area.

Back