All things relating to Christmas

Fruitcake is known to stay fresh for an inordinate amount of time.

But in 2017 Antarctic conservators came upon a specimen that tests the limits of the treat: a 107-year-old cake, found in one of Antarctica's first buildings.

This particular cake is believed to have been brought over in 1910 during the Terra Nova expedition of Robert Falcon Scott. According to the Antarctic Heritage Trust, "it has been documented that Scott took this particular brand of cake with him at that time."

The fruitcake's tin is not as well preserved as the cake itself.

The Huntley & Palmers fruitcake was wrapped in paper and housed in a tin-plated iron alloy tin, which is showing signs of deterioration. However, the cake itself is "well-preserved," the conservators say.

"There was a very, very slight rancid butter smell to it, but other than that, the cake looked and smelled edible! There is no doubt that the extreme cold in Antarctica has assisted its preservation."

Screenshot_20211130-222334_Photos.jpg

Fruitcake is known to stay fresh for an inordinate amount of time.

But in 2017 Antarctic conservators came upon a specimen that tests the limits of the treat: a 107-year-old cake, found in one of Antarctica's first buildings.

This particular cake is believed to have been brought over in 1910 during the Terra Nova expedition of Robert Falcon Scott. According to the Antarctic Heritage Trust, "it has been documented that Scott took this particular brand of cake with him at that time."

The fruitcake's tin is not as well preserved as the cake itself.

The Huntley & Palmers fruitcake was wrapped in paper and housed in a tin-plated iron alloy tin, which is showing signs of deterioration. However, the cake itself is "well-preserved," the conservators say.

"There was a very, very slight rancid butter smell to it, but other than that, the cake looked and smelled edible! There is no doubt that the extreme cold in Antarctica has assisted its preservation."

View attachment 196819
That's awesome!

I don't believe I am going anywhere for Christmas at this point. My place is too small to have many people here. I could have 2 over with no problem but that wouldn't work out because of all the others they want to have with them. Thought about my nephew and his gf. They don't keep in touch. I tried to but they didn't return the sentiment. Oh well. They are the only family I have here now. My 3 brothers and sister all live out of state.

Anyway, I will probably dress for being in the house this Christmas unless someone invites me somewhere or I invite someone over--but who? Don't know at this point. I don't have a big tree either. I will put up my small one, tho.

Maybe I'll look like this for Christmas:

7b7f7dbd4fb8e74d1cd1a615a791e3a2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The+Gift+of+the+Magi.jpg

I don't believe I am going anywhere for Christmas at this point. My place is too small to have many people here. I could have 2 over with no problem but that wouldn't work out because of all the others they want to have with them. Thought about my nephew and his gf. They don't keep in touch. I tried to but they didn't return the sentiment. Oh well. They are the only family I have here now. My 3 brothers and sister all live out of state.

Anyway, I will probably dress for being in the house this Christmas unless someone invites me somewhere or I invite someone over--but who? Don't know at this point. I don't have a big tree either. I will put up my small one, tho.

Maybe I'll look like this for Christmas:

View attachment 196982
Sorry, Ruthanne, if you have to be alone but I hope you have a nice Christmas anyway; I'm sending you hugs and hopes for that:

Back