Almost everyone I told about my cat says "Get another one."

@Kaila = I really don't trust people, they have a very relaxed idea about adopting animals.

I already had two baby kittens in mid 2008 and that's all I wanted. Then I made friends with a black cat that came to eat my cat food I keep for strays outside. She would even come inside and nap. After a couple of months I wondered about her, so I wrote a note and taped it to an elastic band around her neck. The owner called me and I told her I had wondered if she had an owner, otherwise I would adopt her. She told me the cat was 5 years old and was fixed. Then I noticed that her owners had moved and left her behind. I took her in and Misty died two months ago at 17. The shelters are brimming with cats, strays abound all over my neighborhood, and people use any excuse to get rid of animals that have become an inconvenience to them and dispose of them like pieces of furniture. NO, I do not trust humans. I need to look up that agency I heard about.

Okay, I just found them = https://tucson.com/news/local/when-...cle_c5277ff6-1b7b-5ba3-adc8-faed6fc96260.html

Last edited:
I think it's rude for someone to tell you to get another cat. They think your problem is needing another cat, when it's really about you having to euthanize your long time pet cat. Why can't these jerks get that? All they can think about is fixing you. Then they get huffy when it doesn't work. It's why I don't talk to anyone about personal stuff anymore. I can almost count on feeling worse afterward. Sorry about Gus. He had a good life.

Okay, you are our dear @Catlady :)
And that idea, that had popped into my head, might possibly help someone, but doesn't fit for your kitties, or you, or your situation.
You are giving your dear ones a very good home, which they need, and is a good and important thing to do, and of course you want to do it, and to care for them, yourself, for as long as possible. I do the same for mine.

Last edited:
Deb, first of all im am so soo sorry for your loss. Cats certainly are like family!!!.. take your time to grieve, my dear..
Hubby and i have always owned only 2 cats all our married life. no more then 2 at a time...The oldest cat we ever had ,lived to be 21 yrs old..

Also we too just recently had to put our 14 yr. old fat cat down. he had a bad stroke on his right side. we had no choice but to put him to sleep.
And we now have a 16 yr. old cat left., We are up in our years and have decided when she goes that will be the end of owning anymore cats.. We do not want to die first and leave them wondering where we are.. All our cats have always been indoor cats!!!.

We never let them outside, yet they cope very well just watching the birds at the bird feeder or our neighbors dogs stopping by for a treat... by the way. their poop box is in the downstairs basement in the utility room and gets cleaned every evening, no odor whats so ever. in fact cats are very clean and you see them grooming themselves daily. yes i get hair balls that hide under the furniture but a dust mop always took care of that .. we always had unconditional love for our cats and they for us. We would do it all over again too , if we could...

By the way, We never owned a dog ,but for our exercise . we volunteer at a dog shelter to walk dogs every day , weather permitting,, we go to
Horse creek Animal shelter in Savannah, Tn.. its like walking in a city park.!!. check it out on line..its a beautiful facility... they do not have cats tho. only dogs..
Again , Deb, my deepest sympathy... i know the pain of losing a beloved cat..

@tinytn
So very sorry for your loss of your dear cat, recently. They are so dear.... it must have been very sad to see him in distress. ❤
I am sure you took very good care of him, all the years he lived with you and your other one, too.

I Loved the "Action Figure" of Cat lady, which also comes with 8 cats, I noticed! :sneaky:

ONLY 8 ?!
:giggle:
I think she's trying to cut down.

My mom had 11 at one time. When she passed it was down to 5 and I promised I'd take care of them. The last two left were Adam and his brother, Gus (mom picked those names) who were kittens of a cat my mom had brought to the house when my grandmother went into assisted care. She was an unspayed female, so my mom brought her to the vet to get "the operation". The vet we went to at that time said that she was too old to have kittens. Six months later, she presented us with three. After that, there was no argument on the vet's part. After the kittens were weaned, that cat went to live with the guy next door who was renting an apartment. About 9 months later he came over to tell us she'd just been hit by a car out on the street. He buried her between the houses. Personally, I do not believe in burying pets on your property. For me it would be an almost impossible physical task added to the fact that someday, someone else will own the property and not knowing, accidentally dig it up. I take the bodies to the county shelter where they are cremated and the remains are properly disposed.

Personally, I do not believe in burying pets on your property. For me it would be an almost impossible physical task added to the fact that someday, someone else will own the property and not knowing, accidentally dig it up.
I always bury mine in my property. I do it for my sentimental sake. They're dead, they don't care, just like I won't care what is done with my body after I'm dead.

Losing a pet is a heart breaking experience. As many other have said here, we do need to allow time to grieve. Many times the senior who loses a pet will be reluctant to find another pet. I would like to tell you about my aunt who refuse to get another pet because she was "too old."
My aunt mary was in her mid sixties when her dog of almost twenty years passed. She made a decision not to get another pet because she said she was "too old." She lived by herself and her children encouraged her to get another dog, but she would not. My aunt mary is now in her nineties and doing well. She could have had at least one more dog and maybe one more. She was never "too old."
There are many good pets in shelters that need a home and very willing to return that gift with abundant love and happiness. We never know when out time will come. Why not give a needy pet a home in the meantime?

Those are excellent points, lukebass , and a very interesting viewpoint,
and I am glad to hear them, myself too.
There are some people that it would be better for them, though, for them to make the decision, and might not want to continue that level of emotions or commitments. Also, the tasks involved become too difficult for some of us to simply do, in order to take as good care of them as we would want to.

As you probably know, I had to have my 19 year old cat euthanized earlier this month. I know people mean well when they suggest I get another, but I can't right now. A woman from our local senior's club called me today. When she said that, I told her it is like telling a recently widowed person to go right out and get married again. She got huffy and said that there was no comparing a pet's death to a human loved one's. I didn't want to get in a debate over this - I knew she wouldn't be convinced. However, I believe that some people relate to a pet more than people. Opinions?
I am one who relates more to my nonhuman family...so sorry for your loss and I think I understand. 💓 :confused::unsure::whistle:

I mentioned in another thread that I lost one of my rats last week. I have one left now. When his time comes, I know I will not get more rats. That being said, I will take a break from pets for a while. Travel some, not have responsibility. Later, I will look into a cat or dog. Adoption from the shelter, of course. I am not sure I would have the patience for a puppy or kitten.

I always bury mine in my property. I do it for my sentimental sake. They're dead, they don't care, just like I won't care what is done with my body after I'm dead.

Many years ago, I had a friend suggest that if I should ever move from here, take a pill bottle or something, and put some soil from the grave of my pets, and bring it with me to my new place. Nice idea.

It’s chilly here in Florida and our two sister cats are cuddled so closely I couldn’t resist taking their picture and texting it to my way who is away until tomorrow. I don’t recall being as proud of our children. Of course the cats never came home pregnant or with the police 😀

Get a new pet when you're good and ready. Don't let anybody tell you that a cat's death isn't "equal" to a human's. It's often a lot worse.

Back