Almost everyone I told about my cat says "Get another one."

Losing a pet is a heart breaking experience. As many other have said here, we do need to allow time to grieve. Many times the senior who loses a pet will be reluctant to find another pet. I would like to tell you about my aunt who refuse to get another pet because she was "too old."
My aunt mary was in her mid sixties when her dog of almost twenty years passed. She made a decision not to get another pet because she said she was "too old." She lived by herself and her children encouraged her to get another dog, but she would not. My aunt mary is now in her nineties and doing well. She could have had at least one more dog and maybe one more. She was never "too old."
There are many good pets in shelters that need a home and very willing to return that gift with abundant love and happiness. We never know when out time will come. Why not give a needy pet a home in the meantime?

And if a person is worried about a decade long commitment, there are many older pets in shelters that desperately need homes. Many of them lost homes because of a death or having their person go into a nursing home. Many of them are well trained, too.

My last dog was an older dog and was a wonderful, loving companion. A few months ago, after she passed, I adopted another older dog, my Henry, who was a bit over 7 when I adopted him. He is a great dog, already knew how to use a doggie door, and is very affectionate and grateful to have a warm bed to sleep in, food on a regular basis, and lots of tummy rubs. I don't know how I'd manage without him.

Deb, I'm sorry you had to lose your beloved pet companion. It's like losing a family member. They love you so much and it's unconditional love. Only you will know when you're ready for a new furbaby. Peace.

As you probably know, I had to have my 19 year old cat euthanized earlier this month. I know people ean well when they suggest I get another, but I can't right now. A woman from our local senior's club called me today. When she said that, I told her it is like telling a recently widowed person to go right out and get married again. She got huffy and said that there was no comparing a pet's death to a human loved one's. I didn't want to get in a debate over this - I knew she wouldn't be convinced. However, I believe that some people relate to a pet more than people. Opinions?
There have been a LOT of misconceptions passed down from generation to generation as to how to deal with grief. I am learning a lot so I can help others and not be insensitive. I would give her a pass..that is what she was taught. You had your cat for a very long time which was very special to you. Good that you did not get into a debate...she had her views as to what was passed down to her and you have yours which your cat was very special to you. This is why people become isolated and/or keep things bottled up because they feel no one understand.

There have been a LOT of misconceptions passed down from generation to generation as to how to deal with grief. I am learning a lot so I can help others and not be insensitive. I would give her a pass..that is what she was taught. You had your cat for a very long time which was very special to you. Good that you did not get into a debate...she had her views as to what was passed down to her and you have yours which your cat was very special to you. This is why people become isolated and/or keep things bottled up because they feel no one understand.

In my case, my dog who passed this year was very special and beloved by me. However, my house was just too silent without a dog, and I believe in a way it was a tribute to Bonnie's love and companionship that I went and found Henry at a shelter. Bonnie would not have wanted me to close up my heart to loving another dog. She would have wanted me, I believe, to offer a good home to another dog who needed a person. Henry does not "take the place" of Bonnie, as she did not take the place of other dogs who had gone before her, but rather, Henry has made his own place in my heart, as did Bonnie.

I've had many dogs in my life -- before Bonnie I always had at least two or three -- and all of them were very special to me.

Back