Am I at a crossroad?

sjungdahl

When I was in my 30's I enjoyed woodworking. I was working with my father at his construction company and it came natural. At 41 I changed careers, got into IT. My father passed away 2 months after I got my first job in IT. It was quite the change for me. I was (still am) a single parent with two children. That's basically why I worked for my father. It gave me the time to be a parent. When he passed away my daughter was 18 my son 15 so they weren't taking up my time as much.
I worked in IT for 20+ years. Over those years I suffered a few medical setbacks. 2008 septic shock from misdiagnosed pneumonia, 2008 triple bypass. 2009 stints, pacemaker/ICD and was put on disability. After 6 months I went back to work. My last day as an IT guy was 12/31/2016. I've been trying to find out what I should do since then.
I have grandkids which helps, started playing piano but lost interest.
Few months ago I joined something called a makers place. It's basically a large building with lots of equipment. Some members run small companies out of there but also retiree's like myself. It all started when I was looking to by some bedroom furniture for me grandkids. It's all made out of manufactured materials, solid wood furniture is hard to find and prohibitively expensive. So I though I can do this, I'll build it!
I've invested around $1000 so far and starting to have doubts I can do it. I continue to make silly mistakes.
Winded post just to ask for opinions -
When do you throw in the towel?

Maybe consider a less ambitious project or so. For example I used to know people who did huge crafts projects like bed quilts & Afghans. I learned quickly that wasn’t me and happily made very nice smaller things. I don’t do it any more due to hand arthritis,but my lesson was sometimes things need to be scaled down.
If you still like woodworking, maybe you could find an opportunity to teach others.

Just because something doesn't work as planned does not mean it will not work at another time. Giving up is unrealistic when indeed it is a matter of reassessing your options. That's not throwing in the towel, it's moving forward to something more suitable that appeals to you.

Life changes every moment. Find the moment you seek and run with it.

Things get heavier with age, so if you are going to
make wooden beds, which are heavy, you will have
to devise a simple mechanical aid for lifting them,
maybe a single pulley or a pulley & block, but other
than that suggestion, go for it and good luck.

Mike.

20 years ago I was crazy about Bass fishing. I would even take my mud boots off and dive in to untangle a big Bass from a submerged tree branch. :) I thought it would be something I could get into again this spring. I went up to the small lake near by, made about 20 casts, and knew it was no longer interesting to me. Several of my younger interests have faded away also. I am happy with what I am interested in, but I don't expect the same results as I did when I was much younger. I listen to my stream of consciousness to inform me how/when/what to involve myself with, as long as it lasts, and then on to other things.

A good friend of mine has multiple disabilities and was a wood worker as well. He now continues his wood working on a much smaller scale but loves what he does. He made a cane for me that is absolutely great. Solid as a rock and just what I needed. He makes figures at Christmas for his family members and his grand kids love his Santa figures. He has made his wife some very lovely items as well. Keeps him busy and entertains his neighbors and family while he does all these carvings.

I think the question I would ask myself if I were in a similar situation is am I enjoying myself. If the answer is a decisive no then I would seriously consider giving up the activity.

I’m someone who has given up too easily most of my life. It took me many years to learn that sometimes one needs to accept inferior results as part of the process for eventually achieving pleasing results. Other times one comes upon a physical or mental limitation that prevents one from getting better results. However if one is enjoying what they’re doing one can accept their limitations and enjoy the process.

For me that area is climbing. I would love to climb like some of the climbers I admire, but my body just doesn’t work the same way theirs do or I am not willing to take the risks they do. However I still love climbing and have learned to enjoy climbing at my level with occasional moments of doing more than I expected I could.

Would you come over and get that strip of vinyl siding just under the eaves for me, Asp?

That's my example of forgetting I can't do everything I used to do. I always find it very satisfying to clean that north facing wall of green algae and black dirt. ( A large sponge dipped in a bucket of cleaning proof vinegar wipes it right off!) Yesterday I did that as far up as I could reach and then realized a ladder was out of the question for me these days.

Anotheer Cross Road moment:

Went down to the cross road
For to catch a ride
Nobody would help me, they just pass me by

You may have to hike to town
Your feet might get sore
You don't want to to hike no more, well then,
Slow down and find you a girl friend.

Last edited:
Welcome @sjungdahl ! Sounds like you are a serious woodworker. Perhaps finding and joining a woodworking forum, would help you find answers to your questions, if you have not already done so. Welcome, and good luck!
iu

I've invested around $1000 so far and starting to have doubts I can do it. I continue to make silly mistakes.
Making mistakes is how you get better at what you're doing.

When do you throw in the towel?
I wouldn't, if I were you. You need to stay occupied and challenged, you can only watch the same episodes of Bonanza and Gunsmoke on TV so many times.

Listen to your body. It will tell you exactly what you can do.

The grandkids would rather wait awhile for the beds in order to have you around for awhile

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻 Welcome to Senior Forums 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Back