Am I growing old and decrepit?

Bretrick

In attempting to remove plastic lid of a jar of Peanut Butter I had to resort to using a bread slicing knife, then a pair of pliers to remove lid.
This happens often with soft drink bottles as well. Many times I can not remove the lid and have to cut them off.
I have noticed that sometimes the drink bottle caps have no perforations making it extremely difficult to remove the cap.
Bottles with thin aluminium caps can be a pain as well, also without perforations , with a faulty thread, turning the cap flattens out the thread and the cap goes nowhere.
Exasperating at times.
Anyone here come up against these first world problems?

Bretrick, removing lids of all sorts has become a big issue for me lately,
and more than usual, I have the rubber thing to help twist off the lids, I
even have the circular twist opener, and in spite of that, I actually sprained
my thumb couple weeks ago :(
It is just a pain when these things occur. There seems to be more faulty caps today than ever.
What happened to quality control measures?

In attempting to remove plastic lid of a jar of Peanut Butter I had to resort to using a bread slicing knife, then a pair of pliers to remove lid.
This happens often with soft drink bottles as well. Many times I can not remove the lid and have to cut them off.
I have noticed that sometimes the drink bottle caps have no perforations making it extremely difficult to remove the cap.
Bottles with thin aluminium caps can be a pain as well, also without perforations , with a faulty thread, turning the cap flattens out the thread and the cap goes nowhere.
Exasperating at times.
if you haven't got a Bottle/jar cap remover ..I haven't but they're cheap to buy ... use a Rubber glove. That's all I ever use, and it works like a charm

I have an rubber jar opener that is about 5 inches in diameter. A lot of the time if I just tap the handle of a butter knife around the lid, it will break the vacuum seal. Then I can open right up.

I am pleased to see that more companies that make canned goods are putting the pull tab type lids on cans. I don't have a problem now but my mom had trouble with the can opener when she got older.

Noticed that myself, Bretrick. I don't attribute it totally to getting old and decrepit.

In my considered opinion, these lids are being designed by computer programs and installed by robotics. The human factor that once enabled us to open lids without resorting to out-of-hand leveraging and external mechanical aids is long gone.

And to top it off, often these lids and caps are of such minimalistic design that one and done is the norm. So, no, not entirely old and decript. Swiss Army Knife is a constant pocket companion. That and, yeah, the rubber flat for removing lids. Lately, I've had to throw away can openers that look esthetically pleasing but don't work like the old '50s style from back in the day. Go figure.

Best regards and hang in there, mate. Arnold

I have an rubber jar opener that is about 5 inches in diameter. A lot of the time if I just tap the handle of a butter knife around the lid, it will break the vacuum seal. Then I can open right up.

I am pleased to see that more companies that make canned goods are putting the pull tab type lids on cans. I don't have a problem now but my mom had trouble with the can opener when she got older.
I also prefer the cans with the tabs. Brilliant idea.

Exasperating at times.
Yes, it's a constant struggle. Will see about the suggestions on this thread. Also, I prefer the cans with tabs.

I manage to get jar lids off, eventually. Sometimes the pull ring on sardines breaks off and I have to use a can opener.

But the worst is the plastic screw-off tops on cream (and presumably other dairy products). Often they're placed wrongly, and I have to bypass the plastic thing and mangle the paper part to get the container open.

download (5).jpegYh93.gif

Last edited:
I manage to get jar lids off, eventually. Sometimes the pull ring on sardines breaks off and I have to use a can opener.

But the worst is ehe plastic screw-off tops on cream (and presumably other dairy products). Often they're placed wrongly, and I have to bypass the plastic thing and mangle the paper part to get the container open.

I am right there with you about the plastic screw off lids! Yes here lately I have issues getting lids off. I usually use a butter knife to hit lid around the edge and that may work or I have this gripper thingy and that may work and then if those fail I call my husband who pops it right off of course I already loosened it for him lol lol!
I like your idea Tish about stabbing the bubble of the lid. I am giving that a try and also Mrs time idea Slip a spoon between lid and jar
Thanks!

For some unknown reason my DH thinks we need an electric can opener. He doesn’t cook but sometimes I’m thankful to have it. It’s tucked away in the cupboard, so it’s not taking up space.. I detest those tab things. I have to pry them up and they fight me when I go to yank the lid up.

I have a variety of items to open lids. When they all have failed, I boil some water and soak the jar upside down in it for a minute; the seal breaks easily then.

@Mizmo I’d come save you from your wine dilemma. Too bad it’ll be a while before I’m in your neighbourhood.

Back