American Communication

What irritates me more is the robotic question when I get to the checkout till.. for example in a clothing store..or shoe shop.. and they say.. ''did you find everything you needed today''.. ?
Just part of their script that is required of them to say. Not all young store clerks are drones, I've had numerous store staff actually take me to the isle of the item I inquired about...perhaps scripted as well, but a nice touch.

Home Depot had a greeter at the door and any staff not assisting someone were trained to greet you. It got tedious. I know they had to do it because store policy made them. It’s finally quit so I expect that customers finally talked to management.

If a person with a badge is just walking around the store greeting you, it’s in preparation for selling their credit card.

Most staff are just following the rules.

Just part of their script that is required of them to say. Not all young store clerks are drones, I've had numerous store staff actually take me to the isle of the item I inquired about...perhaps scripted as well, but a nice touch.
that is nice.. hardly ever happens here....

Home Depot had a greeter at the door and any staff not assisting someone were trained to greet you. It got tedious. I know they had to do it because store policy made them. It’s finally quit so I expect that customers finally talked to management.

If a person with a badge is just walking around the store greeting you, it’s in preparation for selling their credit card.

Most staff are just following the rules.
that's one thing we don't get here, thank goodness...

When people on the phone or when I am in some business and someone acts like that, I keep asking my question until they give me a suitable answer...if they don't I ask for their supervisor. If they are stupid or rude I leave and won't go back. I ignore the compulsory Hello smiley face routine, or sometimes I respond in kind. :)

iu

This prying/lying ritual where store clerks ask customers an invasive question and customers respond with a lie, is not good public relations. It wasn’t always this way. Store clerks at one time were there to answer questions and provide customer service regarding store products. . Today however, once they ask how you are doing and you give them the lie they are looking for, they feel they’ve completed their customer service duty for the day and they want nothing else to do with you. Our English language provides better words for retail clerks to use if they approach a customer at all, such as "Hello, if I can be of service let me know". And if clerks wear identifying vests or large badges, there's no reason they should have to approach the customer at all.

Back