Amid The Pyramids

A Wild Arabic Thanksgiving Dinner
iu

King Tut's likeness revealed in vivid new facial approximation of ancient Egyptian pharaoh

Researchers created a facial approximation that reconstructs what the ancient Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun may have looked like.

W8xzAJUJYsuPFSsLTRE5jN-970-80.jpg.webp

An artist's depiction of what the ancient Egyptian pharaoh King Tut may have looked like. (Image credit: Cícero Moraes, et al)

"The pharaoh Tutankhamun, also known as King Tut, is arguably the best-known ruler in ancient Egyptian history. And while much has been written about the royal youth, who held the throne from about the age of 9 until his death a decade later around 1323 B.C., his actual appearance is still a matter of debate. "

"But now, a new facial approximation provides a glimpse of what the historical figure may have looked like, revealing new insight into some of the former king's more peculiar facial characteristics."

"Tutankhamun is of archaeological interest not only because of his world-famous burial treasure, but because he ruled for a decade at an important phase in Egyptian history," Michael Habicht, a senior research fellow at Flinders University in Australia and co-author of the new research, told Live Science in an email. Tut's father, the revolutionary pharaoh Akhenaten, had discouraged worship of all gods except Aten, the sun disc. But Tut did not follow his father's ways."

"His reign saw a return to the old gods after his father Akhenaten's new [Aten] cult had failed and plunged the land on the Nile into chaos," Habicht said. "Therefore, a forensic facial reconstruction is helpful to get an idea of the appearance of the young king." (READ MORE)

@Meanderer , do you remember Roseanne Roseanna Danna back then? How I loved Gilda Radner! She was a comedic genius in my eyes, even surpassing Lucy Ball.

Well, I remember when the King Tutankhamen Exhibition came to the Met back then. I wanted to go, but with work and other expenses, we decided not to. (still kicking myself)

Anyway, one of my co-workers went and I'll never forget how stunned he seemed when he was describing it to us. He said Tut's death mask with highlighted by spotlights and gleamed as golden and bright as any gold could be. He said it was beautiful to behold; perfection. He said as he realized the king just a kid really, he felt choked up. He said some people actually burst out crying; some from just the sheer beauty and antiquity of the exhibit. He said the line moved along so as to allow everyone at least a decent glimpse of it.

The shrine and the sarcophagus didn’t travel to the United States, but items from the burial chamber, including some that adorned Tut’s mummified body, did.

2015_09-10_CVR_600x772.jpg

da9e19d57b739de71c045718edd685f5.jpg

King-Tuts-coffin-is-uncovered-golden-sarcophagus-1.jpg

@Meanderer , do you remember Roseanne Roseanna Danna back then? How I loved Gilda Radner! She was a comedic genius in my eyes, even surpassing Lucy Ball.

Well, I remember when the King Tutankhamen Exhibition came to the Met back then. I wanted to go, but with work and other expenses, we decided not to. (still kicking myself)

Anyway, one of my co-workers went and I'll never forget how stunned he seemed when he was describing it to us. He said Tut's death mask with highlighted by spotlights and gleamed as golden and bright as any gold could be. He said it was beautiful to behold; perfection. He said as he realized the king just a kid really, he felt choked up. He said some people actually burst out crying; some from just the sheer beauty and antiquity of the exhibit. He said the line moved along so as to allow everyone at least a decent glimpse of it.

The shrine and the sarcophagus didn’t travel to the United States, but items from the burial chamber, including some that adorned Tut’s mummified body, did.

da9e19d57b739de71c045718edd685f5.jpg

King-Tuts-coffin-is-uncovered-golden-sarcophagus-1.jpg
RR, I remember Gilda along with Gene Wilder and Dom DeLuise in the 1986 American comedy horror film, Haunted Honeymoon. For years it was a Halloween staple. As far as the golden treasures in Tut's tomb, we have to remember that even though we never see gold in great quantities in real life. It still has a strong grip on people, even in a piece of jewelry.

It also makes me wonder of all the golden treasures that were looted from forgotten tombs, that we will never know of. Seeing the Tut Exhibit would be a life changing event for sure. Just as an aside, I read somewhere that most gold jewelry is over-rated in its value. -M

Last edited:
DRINK, LIKE AN EGYPTIAN.....!

14- Qamar Al-Din*

"A drink made using slices of Qamar al-Din, sugar and blossom water, which is a drink that Egypt is famous for. It is made from the best of the best types of apricots. It is served cold and from the distinctive drinks in the blessed month of Ramadan." (more below) VVVVVV

Qamar-Al-Din.jpg

Mish mish!
Apricots
As delicate fruits that are highly susceptible to the whims of Mother Nature, their fleetingness is perhaps best summed up by the Arabic saying bukra fil mish-mish, which translates to “when the apricots are in season” — used when there is little chance of something happening.
😀

Last edited:
DRINK, LIKE AN EGYPTIAN.....!

14- Qamar Al-Din*

"A drink made using slices of Qamar al-Din, sugar and blossom water, which is a drink that Egypt is famous for. It is made from the best of the best types of apricots. It is served cold and from the distinctive drinks in the blessed month of Ramadan." (more below) VVVVVV

Qamar-Al-Din.jpg

Sometimes they put a bruised cardamom pod in the coffee cup. I really like the taste.

Back