Another 1950's Meal Like My Mother Made

My Mother always made Salmon cakes... we still have them regularly....
th

...but my Aunt's specialty was Salmon loaf. Anyone ever make Salmon loaf? Would like to try it but am afraid the center would be soggy.
1569590702108.jpeg

My Mother always made Salmon cakes... we still have them regularly....
th

...but my Aunt's specialty was Salmon loaf. Anyone ever make Salmon loaf? Would like to try it but am afraid the center would be soggy.
View attachment 77257
Try making your salmon loaf in cupcake tins.

I wasn't a big fan of salmon loaf when I was a kid but I enjoyed the sauce that we used to cover it up and the side of green peas.

Olive/Pimiento cream sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed olives or 1/4 cup of chopped pimiento or 1/4 cup roasted red pepper.
S&P to taste.

Melt butter and stir in flour to make a roux, slowly add milk while stirring until the mixture thickens, add the chopped olives and serve.

Another great sauce to serve with salmon loaf is Tzatziki.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/tzatziki-sauce-recipe/

Last edited:
RE: Salmon Loaf, if you bake it in a loaf pan and the ends cook faster then, after baking, serve the ends first then put it back in the oven and cook an extra 2 or 3 minutes. Or here's a thought...before baking, press salmon mixture into the loaf pan so the ends are slightly thicker than the middle...very slight or it's going to look weird.

Hm. I hadn't thought of salmon loaf since forever ago. My mother used to roll out biscuit dough, spoon the salmon mixture down the center, slit the sides in about 2" wide strips, then "braid" the strips over the top. It was served with green peas in a cream sauce ladled over the top of each slice. For whatever reason, it's not something kids usually like, but my older brother and I used to fight over who got the last slice.

Back