Any Fans of Queen?

Sorry, but for me, Queen is just a forerunner of a steep decline in popular music that took hold in the 70's and evolved into the garbage of today. If I had to name a favorite from that decade I guess it would be the Eagles.

I have to tell you a funny story Ruthanne.

When Queen were at the very height of their fame in 1975.. we had been invited round to a new member of our gang's home.. for tea..
She lived in a HUGE mansion.. we're talking real Royalty type mansion here.. and out back was tennis courts and swimming pool, and Aviary.. huge property.. It was summer, we were typical teens and early 20's for the time.. a couple of the group were hippies..

Our friends' parents , I'll call her Lydia for that was her name.. :LOL:.. were already elderly having had her late in life....and they were extremely old fashioned, he was dressed like an old Army colonel..

When we arrived at the house, the father gave us a tour of the home.. and in every room there was a full size grand piano.. I mean even in the kitchen.. ...absolutely huge.. . In the drawing room there was a gigantic table, which was made of Oak, and could be turned into a snooker table..
Alongside the table was a self playing Pianola....
Automated-piano-and-piano-roll.png
.. and the father was showing us this instrument, and we were acting interested, and one of the gang thought he'd be funny and ask ''do you have any Queen''... well the father looks a little confused but very politely said.. '' No I don't have any of the Queen I'm afraid, but I do have Swanee River'' ..and proceeded to press the button to play it... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:..it was all we could do to keep from falling about in hysterical laughter...

I umpired a D-I college baseball game at Georgia Tech about ten years ago. They were playing NC State. It was a game that would decide which team would go to the ACC Tournament. We were in the top of the ninth with GT leading 6-2. There were two outs. Over the PA system, they started playing the song “Another One Bites the Dust.”

According to NCAA rules, no music may be played during live play. I was the umpire-in-chief for that game, so I had to stop the game and send a message up to the announcer to stop playing the music. The PA announcer announced the NCAA rule and cut the music, but the fans, mostly students, kept singing the song. No rules against that, so we played on. It took GT three more hitters to get the last out and the game ended with GT winning. That rule still applies today

Journey with Steve Perry. He is also a really nice man. One of flight attendants saw his name on our manifest and wondered if he was the same Steve Perry that sang for Journey, which was my favorite group at the time.

I waited for him to board and there was no doubt about it, he was the real Steve Perry. I had to tell him that I was a fan of his and the great voice he has. He told me that I was his favorite pilot. Please get us to Seattle safe. I didn’t know he was a nervous flier. I think he’s back to singing again.

Last edited:
How can anyone NOT be fan of Queen?
Groups of the fifties, sixties, and early seventies, like Abba, the BeeGees, the Beatles, the Carpenters, the Beachboys, and the Eagles (to name just a few of the greats) usually wrote their own music, and, at least in my opinion, it was often brilliant and brilliantly sung by the likes of Frank Sinatra, Karen Carpenter, the Beatles, the Abba quartet and many other great voices. What did Queen give us? Bohemian Rhapsody? Huh? An endless morass of meandering BS sung to the tune of exactly what? Queen, and the bands that followed were vendors of personality, flash and bang -- not music, and as time marches on it is only getting worse.

Journey with Steve Perry. He is also a really nice man. One of flight attendants saw his name on our manifest and wondered if he was the same Steve Perry that sang for Journey, which was my favorite group at the time.

I waited for him to board and there was no doubt about it, he was the real Steve Perry. I had to tell him that I was a fan of his and the great voice he has. He told me that I was his favorite pilot. Please get us to Seattle safe. I didn’t know he was a nervous flier. I think he’s back to singing again.

He was, no doubt, an iconic singer. We saw Journey earlier this year and Steve Perry has been replaced as the lead singer by Arnel Pineda from the Philippines. He is truly amazing. When we heard "Don't Stop Believin'" we were in awe.

Back