Any off grid enthusiasts on here? Or anyone who's living off the grid?

No Gary, me and my brothers built my cabin from scratch on site...It took us two days.View attachment 61866

From looking at your pictures the terrain reminds me of the heavily wooded and hilly areas around Wilburton and Hartshorne where I hunted deer and turkey for many years......going to and from a hunting trip in that area I always found it very difficult to drive through Krebs without stopping for Italian food.

images

From looking at your pictures the terrain reminds me of the heavily wooded and hilly areas around Wilburton and Hartshorne where I hunted deer and turkey for many years......going to and from a hunting trip in that area I always found it very difficult to drive through Krebs without stopping for Italian food.

images
My land and cabin is in Sequoyah County up in the foothills of the Ozarks...It's about 15 miles west of Tenkiller Lake and not too far from the Arkansas line...But I have been to Krebs many times with my Wife and Family...We like to eat at Pete's Place and shop at Lovera's Italian market...I'm also Italian by the way.:pride::thumbsup:

Hello,
I am curious, since you state your "off the grid" in the past tense, why you stopped?

Wondering if the soil there posed a problem prohibiting use of piers instead of block-to-ground with shims? Are you not concerned with settling issues due to erosion and other factors?

Hello,
I am curious, since you state your "off the grid" in the past tense, why you stopped?
I buy and sell real estate and someone gave me an offer on my last off grid property that I couldn’t pass up...I took that money and bought a much larger and prettier property with plenty of natural resources.

Wondering if the soil there posed a problem prohibiting use of piers instead of block-to-ground with shims? Are you not concerned with settling issues due to erosion and other factors?
The property is up in the mountains so plenty of granite and stone beneath the soil layer...I didn’t want my property taxes to go up yet, so I didn’t pour or build a permanent foundation...I also wanted to be able to move my cabin to another spot on the property if I decided to in the future... I built another cabin the exact same way on blocks 20 years ago on another property and it’s still fine...But when we sell our home here in the city, and build our new house which will be much bigger, out there, we will definitely pour a foundation.

If you ever get the chance to see the documentary on Dick Proeneke who built a cabin without power tools in Alaska. If you want to talk off grid, that man did it all.

Ya I've seen that, very cool documentary...I watch a lot of cabin building videos on YouTube and off grid homesteading videos...I love that stuff.

The reality show 'Preppers' is a LDS RM production, which is not a hard sell, think of their food storage teachings. I used to watch & critique it. I came up with what I thought was an original idea - store TP - then barter for food when the apocalypse happens.

Well I found out it wasn't a unique idea, one of the 'preppers' I think from Texas was of same mind, in fact he had part of his bunker set aside for TP storage. His logic was similar to mine. Easy to store, doesn't spoil, lasts forever & everyone will want it.

Still think its a great idea. And it don't weigh a lot so it's easy to transport.

The reality show 'Preppers' is a LDS RM production, which is not a hard sell, think of their food storage teachings. I used to watch & critique it. I came up with what I thought was an original idea - store TP - then barter for food when the apocalypse happens.

Well I found out it wasn't a unique idea, one of the 'preppers' I think from Texas was of same mind, in fact he had part of his bunker set aside for TP storage. His logic was similar to mine. Easy to store, doesn't spoil, lasts forever & everyone will want it.

Still think its a great idea. And it don't weigh a lot so it's easy to transport.
Good thinking...I've done the same...Liquor, tobacco, coffee, and many other things will be great for bartering...Can you imagine how much that stuff would be in demand and worth in a total economic collapse?

All my buildings are block to ground.
Since 2005
Nary an issue
Zero spring to my 2x6 floors

TQlIogS.jpg

tFJCrL6.jpg

BdHi4L2.jpg

The trick is building the base structure solid, as in one tight module, with 45° braces, thick, 4x4 stuff.
If there is any ground surface movement, nothing tweaks.
Of course being in a dry climate helps.

Good thinking...I've done the same...Liquor, tobacco, coffee, and many other things will be great for bartering...Can you imagine how much that stuff would be in demand and worth in a total economic collapse?
Got some preppers out this way
Even to the point of having a bunker

They have lotsa my stuff in there
They just don’t yet know it’s mine….

My point;
A prepper will last just a bit longer
And during that time, they’re gonna hafta use their artillery on someone
Mainly because they can’t help but brag
I can’t fault ‘em
But I don’t prep much

I do hunt
And I will
But none of us, prepper or no, will last very long when and if TSHTF

As far as off grid
I know I’ll just last a little longer in that regard, too

But

I do feel a bit more in control being off the grid

Hands on is a great feeling for as long as it lasts

Got some preppers out this way
Even to the point of having a bunker

They have lotsa my stuff in there
They just don’t yet know it’s mine….

My point;
A prepper will last just a bit longer
And during that time, they’re gonna hafta use their artillery on someone
Mainly because they can’t help but brag
I can’t fault ‘em
But I don’t prep much

I do hunt
And I will
But none of us, prepper or no, will last very long when and if TSHTF

As far as off grid
I know I’ll just last a little longer in that regard, too

But

I do feel a bit more in control being off the grid

Hands on is a great feeling for as long as it lasts
Anything that increases my Family and I’s chances for survival is good enough for me...I have a very big Italian well armed and military trained Family, so if anyone could even find our property they might regret it. But if they don’t we’ll die like Warriors. It would be a good death.

Anything that increases my Family and I’s chances for survival is good enough for me...I have a very big well armed and military trained Family, so if anyone could even find our property they might regret it. But if they don’t we’ll die like Warriors. It would be a good death.

I do like the enthusiasm

....and the realistic view

We are one on this

vLrBdT3.png

All my buildings are block to ground.
Since 2005
Nary an issue
Zero spring to my 2x6 floors

TQlIogS.jpg

tFJCrL6.jpg

BdHi4L2.jpg

The trick is building the base structure solid, as in one tight module, with 45° braces, thick, 4x4 stuff.
If there is any ground surface movement, nothing tweaks.
Of course being in a dry climate helps.
Same here...If everything is level squared and plum I have had no issues...For a small cabin it’s fine.

Same here...If everything is level squared and plum I have had no issues...For a small cabin it’s fine.

There's a guy on another forum that builds this way for a living, saunas and stuff...can't recall his name or the site
Anyway, he's quite well versed on this type of foundation, with plenty to back it up

I'm curious if you guys have had any problems with critters when using the block to ground foundations or how you deal with it.

4e56cd6c3eab3529b41d9e13d28bffcb--mendoza-vintage-illustrations.jpg

chippies gotta live somewhere
Happily they don't care to chew on treated timber

skunks?
They get live trapped (yes, it gets tricky)

Actually, pier is no better in that regard

chippies gotta live somewhere
Happily they don't care to chew on treated timber

skunks?
They get live trapped (yes, it gets tricky)

Actually, pier is no better in that regard

Nothing is perfect.

I just have flashbacks to laying in bed at night listening to the mice gnawing inside the walls of my grandmother's old farmhouse and the smell when one of the poor unfortunate beasts died.

Then there were a couple of flat cats in the crawl space under the old porch. :):playful::eek:nthego:

The thought of sharing my space with critters still creeps me out!
elephant-mouse-afraid-fear-ftr.jpg

I'm not what one would call a diehard prepper but I read a few years back that .22 LR ammo will be good for bartering as well as hunting and even self defense if need be if the SHTF.......let's just say that I've got a few rounds put back and leave it at that. :)
4050018_01_armscor_22_lr_hv_36gr_hp_ammo__640.jpg

I'm not what one would call a diehard prepper but I read a few years back that .22 LR ammo will be good for bartering as well as hunting and even self defense if need be if the SHTF.......let's just say that I've got a few rounds put back and leave it at that. :)
4050018_01_armscor_22_lr_hv_36gr_hp_ammo__640.jpg

Well, it's a start

Back