Any off grid enthusiasts on here? Or anyone who's living off the grid?

I'm not what one would call a diehard prepper but I read a few years back that .22 LR ammo will be good for bartering as well as hunting and even self defense if need be if the SHTF.......let's just say that I've got a few rounds put back and leave it at that. :)
4050018_01_armscor_22_lr_hv_36gr_hp_ammo__640.jpg

Too bad you’re too far from me if the SHTF...would you let me in or shoot me? :)

If the SHTF in Fresno in the summer I’m a cooked goose. Couldn’t imagine the heat without A/C, I know people did long ago
but we’ve gotten too comfy in our lifestyles here.

Also...water would be a big problem.

I doubt I would be able to make it to the coast and my daughter...3 hour drive and only one way to go really and that’s through Pacheco Pass.

There is one other way but it’s longer...wouldn’t even have enough gas. :(

Have a better chance of survival if the SHTF in the winter months....won’t freeze to death and there are acres and acres of fruit and nuts and veggies growing very near my house...

We've already got several stops to make and the plane is filling up fast CeeCee but if the SHTF ever does happen just sit tight till mama and I get there to pick you up.

Oh, we prefer to rescue folks that can carry their own weight, won't be a burden on others and have some sort of usable skill .....can you bake chocolate chip cookies ?

Gujarat-Airline-Funny-Plane.jpg

We've already got several stops to make and the plane is filling up fast CeeCee but if the SHTF ever does happen just sit tight till mama and I get there to pick you up.

Oh, we prefer to rescue folks that can carry their own weight, won't be a burden on others and have some sort of usable skill .....can you bake chocolate chip cookies ?

Gujarat-Airline-Funny-Plane.jpg

Yes, I can! :)

I actually do have an emergency type bag packed that’s near my bed just in case of fire etc...so, I’ll just add a Chocolate Chip cookie recipe to it.

Im smart enough to know that I may not be able to look it up on my iPad, lol.

Serious question for preppers. I have been watching over the years about survival methods & was wondering what are your thoughts about using a cross bow rather than normal fire power. Silent, deadly & the ammo can be reused. I loved archery in my youth, got pretty good, even downed a deer with one. It's been used for centuries and seems to answer some of the worries about obtaining ammo.

An old sci-fi book called "Lucifer's Hammer" talked about expensive liquor for barter. Now, this was back in the 70's before the preppers got so widespread. It referred to doomsday prepping, not off grid living. (good book btw)

My idea of roughing it is checking into the Hampton Inn late at night and finding out that there is no remote for the TV.

I'm not what one would call a diehard prepper but I read a few years back that .22 LR ammo will be good for bartering as well as hunting and even self defense if need be if the SHTF.......let's just say that I've got a few rounds put back and leave it at that. :)
4050018_01_armscor_22_lr_hv_36gr_hp_ammo__640.jpg
That's awesome!...I have plenty of ammo too, and also we reload our own ammo.

Too bad you’re too far from me if the SHTF...would you let me in or shoot me? :)

If the SHTF in Fresno in the summer I’m a cooked goose. Couldn’t imagine the heat without A/C, I know people did long ago
but we’ve gotten too comfy in our lifestyles here.

Also...water would be a big problem.

I doubt I would be able to make it to the coast and my daughter...3 hour drive and only one way to go really and that’s through Pacheco Pass.

There is one other way but it’s longer...wouldn’t even have enough gas. :(

Have a better chance of survival if the SHTF in the winter months....won’t freeze to death and there are acres and acres of fruit and nuts and veggies growing very near my house...
You can still have running water and AC when you're off the grid.

Serious question for preppers. I have been watching over the years about survival methods & was wondering what are your thoughts about using a cross bow rather than normal fire power. Silent, deadly & the ammo can be reused. I loved archery in my youth, got pretty good, even downed a deer with one. It's been used for centuries and seems to answer some of the worries about obtaining ammo.
It's definitely a good option for hunting and stealth purposes, but for self defense it wouldn't be very practical in a gun fight.

An old sci-fi book called "Lucifer's Hammer" talked about expensive liquor for barter. Now, this was back in the 70's before the preppers got so widespread. It referred to doomsday prepping, not off grid living. (good book btw)
Liquor would be a great bartering tool.

Im talking major catastrophe not just living off the grid in normal times.

Fresno doesn’t have enough water as it is....we are parched in the summer months....no rain and triple digit temps for months.
Okay I see what you're saying, true...But as long as I have sunlight, wind, or running creeks, I'll always have electricity and AC.

RR, each of those cases hold 12 cans of dehydrated food. (beef, chicken, rice, powdered eggs, powdered milk, etc.) Took the pic after unloading them and before I stored them away. I've got a bunch of them also stored in the motorhome. Great way to eat when boondocking. :D Plus, they're are a lot of them in the house.

Attachments

• food2.JPG
    food2.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01325.JPG
    DSC01325.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 29
RR, each of those cases hold 12 cans of dehydrated food. (beef, chicken, rice, powdered eggs, powdered milk, etc.) Took the pic after unloading them and before I stored them away. I've got a bunch of them also stored in the motorhome. Great way to eat when boondocking. :D Plus, they're are a lot of them in the house.

Oh, I see SD, thanks. You're very prepared!

I suppose I'm considered a prepper.

What a cute doggie!! :love_heart:

My sister and BIL live on a farm 12 miles from the nearest town. They have a walk-in closet full of that dehydrated food and stuff that's supposed to be good for 30 years or so. I never considered them "preppers" but I suppose to an extent, they are.

Squatting dog, glad to see there are other preppers out there who are at least somewhat prepared for emergencies and natural disasters, and not totally dependent on the government...It's a good feeling knowing we can be self sufficient, self sustainable, and take care of our families and survive if we had to...But to most of the unprepared people we are all paranoid. :)

Invictus, this thread got me to kind of roam around and make a more complete list of supplies on hand and I've got to say that it even surprised me the amount of stuff on hand. :cool:
Now I'm starting to think others around me might think I'm paranoid or something. :p

16 case, 12 cans per case. Dehydrated food, assorted
3 water purification kits
17 cans butter
8 cans cheese
9 bags dehydrated veggies
50lb salt peter
10lb bag pinto beans
4 ea. 20lb LP cylinders
2 ea . 40 lb LP cylinder
15 piece metal cook set
8 piece plastic plate set
1 ea. 20 gal square fresh water tank
1 ea. 20 gal round fresh water tank
2 ea. 55 gal round fresh water tank
1 ea. 10 gal kool can fresh water
3 military Kevlar vests with extra plates
3 kevlar helmets
2 military flashlights
2 L.E.D maglite flashlights
6 triple-A small l.e.d flashlights
30 candles assorted sizes
1 police Kevlar vest
1 military first aid pouch
3 full size first aid kits
2 bottles cipro antibiotic
1 canteen with metal cup
2 pouches with survival items (flint, small knife, etc)
Assorted knives and axe
Multiple rifles and pistols
1000’s of rounds ammo. Both for my guns, and barter
530 watts of solar panels
4 six volt golf cart batteries
2 Marine 12 volt Batteries
1 AGM 12 volt battery
1 2000 watt inverter
1 3000 watt inverter
1 400 watt inverter
1 wool blanket
Portable radio weather-am-fm- thermometer-solar and crank charger
2 large box strike anywhere matches
6 small box strike anywhere matches
20 gal diesel
15 gal gas
4400 watt portable generator
5500 Onan generator in motor home

Plus spring fed house on top of hill end of private road surrounded by woods and wildlife ,and, this does not include the usual canned and dry goods already in the house.

Invictus, this thread got me to kind of roam around and make a more complete list of supplies on hand and I've got to say that it even surprised me the amount of stuff on hand. :cool:
Now I'm starting to think others around me might think I'm paranoid or something. :p .

Seriously, not a bad cache

I'd have more gas

Matter of fact, I do have more
30 gal
'Course I rely heavily on my jennys as it is, being off grid

Seriously, not a bad cache

I'd have more gas

Matter of fact, I do have more
30 gal
'Course I rely heavily on my jennys as it is, being off grid

Gary O, the gas isn't really a problem because I try to keep both motor homes full. (75 gal. each) It's the diesel I'd like to add too. I just picked up a used generator head similar to pic that runs off the pto of my old tractor.

Attachments

• 165929_2_2000x2000.jpg
    165929_2_2000x2000.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 21

Back