Any Sailors Here? Live-Aboards?

Phil, I do envy you your adventurous spirit. In my younger day I was always up for just about anything, which led me to a lot of different experiences, in many places, mostly good, but also some not so much. If you still have the spirit in you, I say go for it, and give 'er 'ell while you still can.

What's the worse that can happen is my mantra, and it serves me well.

"The worst that can happen" ...

Me-in-Hospital.jpg

;)

Naaww..that ain't the worst...a definite setback though:eek:!

I was just reading Richard Branson's autobiography (the guy that founded Virgin). When he was in his early twenties he rented a houseboat and had a series of liaisons in it (trying to be a gentleman here), but once when he was flying on business the bilge pump died and the boat took on about 2' of water - most of his important papers were ruined and they only just saved the boat from submerging.

Having been through several floods I have a healthy awareness of where and how to store anything of importance, and would figure out a way to do so on any floating home I might be in.

My personal nightmare would be waking up in the boat with water slowly covering me, in the dark.

Sifu Phil:
Having been through several floods I have a healthy awareness of where and how to store anything of importance, and would figure out a way to do so on any floating home I might be in.

Well, there's always safe deposit boxes for that or a good waterproof box with a flotation device chained to the moorings.

My personal nightmare would be waking up in the boat with water slowly covering me, in the dark.

You could always sleep in a wet suit with a lifejacket on and keep a snorkel tied to your wrist.

nature-057.GIF

Sifu Phil:

Well, there's always safe deposit boxes for that or a good waterproof box with a flotation device chained to the moorings.

I'd prefer the floatation device - don't trust banks, don't have any accounts in them. If it was something important to me I'd want it close-by, and banks have a nasty habit of closing down when a flood is coming.

You could always sleep in a wet suit with a lifejacket on and keep a snorkel tied to your wrist.

How did you know? I do that EVERY Saturday night! Then I talk with a Jacques Cousteau accent and pull out my spear-gun ...

Me-as-scuba-diver.jpg

Hmmm...any whips and chains involved?

Bah - that's for beginners. We use moldy marmosets and Channellocks.

smiley-sex014.gif

* Phil's Houseboat *

Heh, heh ...

I saw an ad yesterday in the Florida Craig's List for a FREE 42' cruiser - supposedly just needed engines and a good cleaning. Had all the plumbing and electrical in place and a solid hull. In fact I've seen a few other free boats on there as well.

I was SO tempted to grab the next bus down there!

I'm thinking I should really MOVE there first, though, to a regular apartment, before I get serious about a boat. Damn, I hate being grown-up!

I saw an ad yesterday in the Florida Craig's List for a FREE 42' cruiser - supposedly just needed engines and a good cleaning. Had all the plumbing and electrical in place and a solid hull. In fact I've seen a few other free boats on there as well.

I was SO tempted to grab the next bus down there!

I'm thinking I should really MOVE there first, though, to a regular apartment, before I get serious about a boat. Damn, I hate being grown-up!

I'd be tempted to contact every ad of the boats that interest you and get more info, pictures etc. Even see if there are inspectors that certify sea worthiness there and what the cost would be. Not sure if there is such a thing, but I would guess there are.Then take a trip and look at them if there are any serious contenders.

When I'm tempted to do something "out of the norm" and I have done a few things like that, I make two lists.
1. What are the benefits I'll gain by doing what ever it is; and
2. What is the worse thing that could happen and how to cope. If the pros outweigh the cons, then it's worth a harder look. If there is anything on the list #2 that you couldn't cope with, then don't do it.

Being grown-up doesn't mean you can't take any chances anymore. It just means you can't blame anyone else but yourself if the s**t hits the fan!. And.... if by not doing it, you'll have regrets then think hard and long my friend. We only live once (that we'll remember anyway) so grab hold and make the most of it. It's an adventure in my books and think of the books you could write about that! See, that goes on list 1 along with the $$ generated by the books. Write a Blog!!!!! I think I'm getting more excited about the possibilities than you are......

I'd be tempted to contact every ad of the boats that interest you and get more info, pictures etc. Even see if there are inspectors that certify sea worthiness there and what the cost would be. Not sure if there is such a thing, but I would guess there are.Then take a trip and look at them if there are any serious contenders.

I'm pretty sure there are such inspectors, but for a free boat they'd be overkill. It would be one thing if I were dumping $100k on something nice, but in this case I think it would be like paying a dating service in hopes of snatching Sofia Vergara. Still, I know there are certain legal processes involved in registering boats that might require such an inspection, so I'll take it under advisement - thank you.

When I'm tempted to do something "out of the norm" and I have done a few things like that, I make two lists.
1. What are the benefits I'll gain by doing what ever it is; and
2. What is the worse thing that could happen and how to cope. If the pros outweigh the cons, then it's worth a harder look. If there is anything on the list #2 that you couldn't cope with, then don't do it.

That is indeed a great decision-making system. My problem is that when I want something badly enough I get "short-eyes" and can't see the worst that could happen. Everything looks like a Disney cartoon where the animals sing and dance and candy grows on trees.

... that's when I usually end up running full-tilt into a cement wall.

There's really only ever ONE "worst thing that could happen" in my book - becoming an invalid and having Max Klinger as my nurse.

max klinger.jpg

Everything other than that is up-side. ;)

Being grown-up doesn't mean you can't take any chances anymore. It just means you can't blame anyone else but yourself if the s**t hits the fan!. And.... if by not doing it, you'll have regrets then think hard and long my friend. We only live once (that we'll remember anyway) so grab hold and make the most of it. It's an adventure in my books and think of the books you could write about that! See, that goes on list 1 along with the $$ generated by the books. Write a Blog!!!!! I think I'm getting more excited about the possibilities than you are......

How about I send YOU the address of those boats? :excitement:

I don't know ... I've never been a very excitable sort, but as I get older I find myself being less and less thrilled by anything. Perhaps it's terminal cynicism or chronic pessimism - I just don't usually get that excited anymore.

I've grown ... *gasp* ... comfortable ... where I am. And that, for me, isn't good.

The problem is that I don't want to be where I am for much longer. I've got the wanderlust upon me, the pirate blood is starting to boil and I find myself once again wishing to be near the ocean. I guess I associate some of my best times with being near water, and while I suppose my lust for adventure could be cured by hanging out in the aquarium section of PetCo I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be the same.

Certainly it would be food for publication, though - you're 100% right about that. Heck, if they can blog about some of the stuff they blog about and become best-sellers with the trash that's out there then I might have a chance after all.

Thank you for the pep talk - it's appreciated!

Phil:
The problem is that I don't want to be where I am for much longer. I've got the wanderlust upon me, the pirate blood is starting to boil and I find myself once again wishing to be near the ocean. I guess I associate some of my best times with being near water, and while I suppose my lust for adventure could be cured by hanging out in the aquarium section of PetCo I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be the same.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel a tinge of excitement myself just reading this...I have to live vicariously through others adventures now, so I'm all for you going for it! Sometimes you just have to go with the feeling and take a risk. If ending up a paraplegic and having Max Klinger as your nurse is your worst scenario, I'd say the chances are slim to none that will happen, you might get a beautiful nurse.....aaaarrrgghhh matey.

nurse.jpgAt the very least get on down there, check into a motel for a week and look around. Maybe you'll find a niche. Can't happen holed up in an apartment in Penn. thinking about it. Had the drug cartels not taken over Mexico, I could have sooo lived there in a little village by the ocean.

Oh, and about those free boats. They're kind of like horses, you can get free ones all the time, but it's the upkeep that kills you:rolleyes:

Phil:

Yeah, I'm starting to feel a tinge of excitement myself just reading this...I have to live vicariously through others adventures now, so I'm all for you going for it! Sometimes you just have to go with the feeling and take a risk. If ending up a paraplegic and having Max Klinger as your nurse is your worst scenario, I'd say the chances are slim to none that will happen, you might get a beautiful nurse.....aaaarrrgghhh matey.

View attachment 1461

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout! "Be careful with that thing - you might put out my ey-ARRGH!" ;)

I think, just like the pirates waiting to sail with the tide, I have to prepare and then wait for that one moment when everything is pointing to "GO". I live intuitively and have found the best results following that intuition. My flesh is willing but my prep is weak, so that's the first thing to be shored up. What do they say about victory? That it favors the prepared?

At the very least get on down there, check into a motel for a week and look around. Maybe you'll find a niche. Can't happen holed up in an apartment in Penn. thinking about it. Had the drug cartels not taken over Mexico, I could have sooo lived there in a little village by the ocean.

Yeah, Mexico was on my list too until the craziness took over. :(

The motel idea is great - thanks!

Oh, and about those free boats. They're kind of like horses, you can get free ones all the time, but it's the upkeep that kills you:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's probably true. Again, I should be smart enough to realize there's no such thing as "free" in life but I guess hope springs eternal ...

Maybe you just need a vacation by the ocean to clear your head. I do that often, go to the shore and sit and smell the ocean, watch the waves and contemplate my life. Usually I come home with a much clearer idea of whatever it is that bothers me.

I agree with Ozarkgal, go and visit at the very least.

Don't you just love the way we all have opinions about your life? Keep in mind, that we only want to see you be happy!:playful: Also, if you go live on a boat, maybe we'll get a chance to visit!

Maybe you just need a vacation by the ocean to clear your head. I do that often, go to the shore and sit and smell the ocean, watch the waves and contemplate my life. Usually I come home with a much clearer idea of whatever it is that bothers me.

Having been so fortunate for many, many years to actually walk across the street, climb down the cliff and paddle out am what a friend of mine called "ruined". Can't just "visit" the ocean. Need to be in it every moment possible. When I was getting serious wave action every morning at dawn it made life REAL and everything on shore just didn't matter. Miss that!

That Guy - you need to think positive!!! I'd live on something like this one in a heartbeat. But.... what about the horses?

Heck, with something that size you could keep 'em on the poop deck ...

Phil, found this link for you if you haven't already seen it. http://www.boattrader.com/browse/houseboats/pennsylvania

Most excellent - thank you! There were a few for $299,000 that I had my eye on ... but I might have to settle for something a bit less ostentatious. ;)

Am positive I miss getting good waves to myself every day. But, thanks for the suggestion . . .

Didn't mean to offend you.... The positive remark was concerning the sinking boat picture.:apologetic::sorry:

Come to Nova Scotia, we have lovely waves. Mind you, I think everyone should move to N.S. Other than the high provincial taxes (which are crazy), it's a lovely place surrounded by the Atlantic. We do get snow though so bring your mittens.:winter1:

Speaking of Florida and bright sun ... my son just emailed me from one of his honeymoon stops, Key West - his message:

Well, I've officially got your skin. 2 hours in Key West with my shirt off and suntan lotion on, I burn like a lobster. Thanks for that...

Who said your children are never thankful? :playful:

I told him to just consider it another story for his old age ...

Speaking of Florida and bright sun ... my son just emailed me from one of his honeymoon stops, Key West - his message:

Who said your children are never thankful? :playful:

I told him to just consider it another story for his old age ...

Ouch..bad luck to have a sunburn on your honeymoon:playful:
images

Are they still honeymooning:love_heart: after the wedding, or did they get a late start?

Ouch..bad luck to have a sunburn on your honeymoon:playful:

Are they still honeymooning:love_heart: after the wedding, or did they get a late start?

They just got a late start - he had a week or two of work to finish up for his degree before they could go.

And yeah, sunburn on honeymoon isn't too cool, but I raised him to be a warrior so he'll pull through somehow.

I just have a perverse pride that he burns like I do. :sentimental:

Back