Any suggestions to help with chronic inability to sleep?

Phoenix

I've had this issue since peri-menopause. For me it's a combination of several things. Low blood sugar, fluctuating hormone levels and any number of other things, including too much salt. I've tried the warm milk and turkey before bed. That doesn't work. I need a high protein diet. So I have some before I go to bed. I refuse to take drugs for it. They cause more problems than they solve, and I hate feeling drugged up. Smoking pot doesn't help....tried that. It's legal in my state. I don't drink. It's incompatible with my bp medication. Twenty years after menopause I still have hormone cycles, of all the ridiculous things. Some nights I sleep better than others, but at the most I get 6 hours sleep. Some night's it's two. I meditate. I exercise, so that every thing keeps working. Any ideas?

I've had this issue since peri-menopause. For me it's a combination of several things. Low blood sugar, fluctuating hormone levels and any number of other things, including too much salt. I've tried the warm milk and turkey before bed. That doesn't work. I need a high protein diet. So I have some before I go to bed. I refuse to take drugs for it. They cause more problems than they solve, and I hate feeling drugged up. Smoking pot doesn't help....tried that. It's legal in my state. I don't drink. It's incompatible with my bp medication. Twenty years after menopause I still have hormone cycles, of all the ridiculous things. Some nights I sleep better than others, but at the most I get 6 hours sleep. Some night's it's two. I meditate. I exercise, so that every thing keeps working. Any ideas?

Like you, I also live where marijuana is legal. Go to your local Cannabis Dispensary and talk with them about your sleeping problems. They can help you in choosing the right strain for you, and there are many. Since I did that, I've been sleeping like a baby by chewing a recommended cannabis infused gummie before bed. I can't stress enough that all pots are not the same.

Like you, I also live where marijuana is legal. Go to your local Cannabis Dispensary and talk with them about your sleeping problems. They can help you in choosing the right strain for you, and there are many. Since I did that, I've been sleeping like a baby by chewing a recommended cannabis infused gummie before bed. I can't stress enough that all pots are not the same.
Thanks for the suggestion, but cannabis does not get along with my blood pressure medication. It doesn't get along with a lot of things. I know not all cannabis is the same. I know it can do a lot of good things without getting a person high.

I also have trouble sleeping sometimes due to blood sugar highs & lows and severe tinnitus. 6 hours of sleep is a "good" night for me. Sometimes, I have to get up at 3 - 4:00am & eat.
I turn on the TV & set it for 30 minutes. Sometimes that drowns out the tinnitus & I'm able to fall asleep. But if nothing works (like some nights), I don't worry about it; I just walk around the house & usually go to bed earlier than usual the next night because I'm more tired. A few sips of wine or Bailey's Irish Cream sometimes works.
No sleep drugs for me, either.
I was thinking - what if you lowered your BP medication & drink a small amount of alcohol?

I've been drinking tart cherry juice for a long time now. One of it's said benefits is better sleep. I buy it in a juice concentrate and mix with water. Check it out and have a look-see, maybe it could help. Good Luck.. :)

Popsn Tuff, I took it for a long time. Since it made me feel hung over and did not help me sleep, I didn't go back to it. I've tried Sleepytime tea, melatonin and magnesium. Yes, I've researched this for years. I keep hoping to find something that works. I have not tried tart cherry juice. Where do you get that? Can I get it online? Okay, Gary O, thanks. If that doesn't work I could try economics text books.
I also have trouble sleeping sometimes due to blood sugar highs & lows and severe tinnitus. 6 hours of sleep is a "good" night for me. Sometimes, I have to get up at 3 - 4:00am & eat.
I turn on the TV & set it for 30 minutes. Sometimes that drowns out the tinnitus & I'm able to fall asleep. But if nothing works (like some nights), I don't worry about it; I just walk around the house & usually go to bed earlier than usual the next night because I'm more tired. A few sips of wine or Bailey's Irish Cream sometimes works.
No sleep drugs for me, either.
I was thinking - what if you lowered your BP medication & drink a small amount of alcohol?

Can't have the wine or the Bailey's Irish Cream because of the alcohol and my medication. win231 - I can't lower the blood pressure meds - I don't want to have a stroke.

It's kind of like the constipation issue. I tried all kinds of things that worked once in a while. Then all at once I took baking soda for some other reason and discovered it solved the problem. So one of these days something will work. grin.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Yes I get it online, link below. Maybe research it a bit and see if it might be something you'd like to try.

https://www.brownwoodacres.com/cherry-juice-concentrate/
Thank you. I did some a little research, and it looks like it's worth a shot. I plan to order some. I noticed that the site also has pomegranate juice. Now I can't remember why I wanted to buy some. I live in the dingleberries, and the local markets don't carry that kind of thing.

Tommy, it's not the bed. The bed is a good one. It's chemical imbalances. I feel it on the inside. It's like being way too alert because of caffeine. I don't consume caffeine in any form. Thanks.
Camper 6. Hope melatonin works for you. It didn't work for me. I have difficulty going to sleep and staying asleep. It varies.

When you tried the cannabis, was there any thc in it? The first time I tried the CBD oil it did not do anything. At the time I was happy to get 3 to 4 hours of sleep. A friend put me onto another company in Canada. They don't remove the THC, they adjust it. Removal of the THC I am told removes many benefits. I now sleep 6 hours daily (ok nightly). A huge change in my life now that I am getting the proper rest.
That is about all I can suggest. Good luck.

When you tried the cannabis, was there any thc in it? The first time I tried the CBD oil it did not do anything. At the time I was happy to get 3 to 4 hours of sleep. A friend put me onto another company in Canada. They don't remove the THC, they adjust it. Removal of the THC I am told removes many benefits. I now sleep 6 hours daily (ok nightly). A huge change in my life now that I am getting the proper rest.
That is about all I can suggest. Good luck.
It's legal here. I smoked it. It made me mellow, but did not help me sleep. Thanks though. And it did horrible things to my memory, not in the way it did when I was young. This interacted negatively with Lisinopril that I take for my blood pressure and made me forget how to get from the kitchen to the bedroom in the house I've lived in for nearly 30 years. I will not do that to myself again. I looked Lisinopril up online. It has a negative impact with a number of things. Thanks.

I take a melitonin and 500 mg of niacin before bed get 7 sometimes 8 and half ..up tho for the mandatory potty call dont know if I really have to go or just go so I don't have to be woken up later...one of lifes mysteries I guess..

I take a melitonin and 500 mg of niacin before bed get 7 sometimes 8 and half ..up tho for the mandatory potty call dont know if I really have to go or just go so I don't have to be woken up later...one of lifes mysteries I guess..
I tried melatonin, but not in combination with niacin. Maybe it works better together. Thanks. I know about the needing to get up in the night way too often. It often depends on what I ate that day.

I've been drinking tart cherry juice for a long time now. One of it's said benefits is better sleep. I buy it in a juice concentrate and mix with water. Check it out and have a look-see, maybe it could help. Good Luck.. :)
I am interested in finding out more info on the tart cherry juice. What brand do you buy? Do you think capsules would work?

Back