Anybody else notice that the Silent Generation is ignored altogether?

Boomers, Milennials, Gen X, Gen Z get all the attention. There are plenty of us "Silents" still around, alive and kicking and well and employed. We're pretty much treated as though we're either already dead or too insignificant to bother with.
Not true. I love the silent generation and learn so much from them as I have all of my life. You were silent because you were strong? It has always seemed that way.

Who needs attention? I call myself a war baby and don't mind being left in peace.
I was born during the war, and there weren't many of us. When the war was over all the men and women got back together and made up for lost time. In my elementary school in Chicago, there were 22 of us in our 8th grade graduation, but the 7th graders that year required two separate classes with 30 kids in each. I didn't figure out why until I was talking to someone about war babies many years later.

I'm a Boomer but I love the Silent Generation. You are the Happy Days people!

I listen to Doo Wop music almost every day while I'm online. The music of my own generation makes me kind of sad now. I think we Boomers had good intentions and made good changes in some areas like civil Rights, but we sort of threw out the baby with the bath.

I wish we still had many of the standards that our older brothers and sisters had.

I'm a Boomer but I love the Silent Generation. You are the Happy Days people!

I listen to Doo Wop music almost every day while I'm online. The music of my own generation makes me kind of sad now. I think we Boomers had good intentions and made good changes in some areas like civil Rights, but we sort of threw out the baby with the bath.

I wish we still had many of the standards that our older brothers and sisters had.
Threw out the baby and 83% of all other earthly animal species, with the bath water.

Not true. I love the silent generation and learn so much from them as I have all of my life. You were silent because you were strong? It has always seemed that way.
I might have been silent if it were not for my wonderful 5th and 6th grade teacher. Mr McPhee encouraged us to speak up and have minds of our own. Once you find your voice it can never be taken away from you.

I was born during the war, and there weren't many of us. When the war was over all the men and women got back together and made up for lost time. In my elementary school in Chicago, there were 22 of us in our 8th grade graduation, but the 7th graders that year required two separate classes with 30 kids in each. I didn't figure out why until I was talking to someone about war babies many years later.
:) I was a war baby too, born in 1942. --of the Silent Generation, but just on the cusp.
AKA The Traditionalist Generation, born 1925-28 through 1942-45. There is a vast difference between the generations.

Last edited:
Boomers, Milennials, Gen X, Gen Z get all the attention. There are plenty of us "Silents" still around, alive and kicking and well and employed. We're pretty much treated as though we're either already dead or too insignificant to bother with.

We must face it, our race is all but run. It's no longer our world, it belongs to the younger folk. I'm more than happy to allow them to take over. We have knowledge you can't find elsewhere, but for me it's a matter of being in the mode of giving a helping hand, and nothing more.

With a little help from your friends who were in it from the get go.
I think Georgiagranny wasn't giving a history lesson, she was making the point that the Boomers are writ so large that the Silents have been made invisible.
It's all good though, granny, because the Greatest Generation was produced and directed by none other than us.

Back