Anyone else into Brit TV and Film

retiredtraveler

I was wondering if anyone else regularly watches Brit TV shows or film. I know, 'everyone' watched Downton.
DW and I have been using Netflix mail-order dvd service for years now, and have watched at least 100 British series, mostly detective and period pieces (such as Downton). We've seen every Masterpiece Theater made, starting right at the beginning with I Claudius.
We think American TV shows are 99% awful, plus I'm an Anglophile. We also watch a great many foreign-language films that tend to be heavy on characters and dialog rather than special effects.

Are we alone?

I have subscribed to PBS.org and Acorn for years. Recently joined PBS Passport so I can watch more of the old shows.

I don't like costume dramas so quite a few Brit shows leave me cold. I watched the first two seasons of Downton Abbey before I lost interest.

I was a diehard Mystery viewer, but I usually turned off the TV when Masterpiece came on. It was a sad day when Masterpiece lost its corporate sponsor and consumed Mystery. I have always loved British mysteries like Endeavour, Vera and The Tunnel.

I have subscribed to PBS.org and Acorn for years..... It was a sad day when Masterpiece lost its corporate sponsor and consumed Mystery. I have always loved British mysteries like Endeavour, Vera and The Tunnel.

Yes. Really like Endeavour and Vera. The Tunnel is in our queue. There are many more, really good, Brit mystery series. Morse kind of set the standard.

Brit TV is my favorite. I do not have any streaming service; but I am fortunate the local library has or will get most of my favorites in DVD. I prefer mysteries: Sherlock with Jeremy Brett, A Touch of Frost, The Last Detective, Morse, Lewis, Endeavor early episodes of Midsomer Murders, Vera, Quark, Inspector Lynley and more!

Brit humor - I love it. Long-time Python fan, along with all the other crazy comedies like Fawlty Towers. Benny Hill, the ultimate vaudevillian.

Never got into Downtown Abbie - it was just too boring for me. Rich people being served by poor people - gee, what a novel idea. :rolleyes:

Love the Sherlock series - wish they'd made plans to continue it.

LOL...as a Brit, with British TV....I have to say firstly I'm one of the few who doesn't enjoy Downton Abbey...I'm a factual personality who can't enjoy a "historical drama' that veers so far from the facts ...I spend the whole time critiquing it...so no , I don't watch Downton.

I could never stand Benny Hill...I always thought he was a licentious old letch .

Are you being served, Keeping up appearances et al...were of their time... and funny way back in the 70's and 80's to some ... but after the first 20 years of repeats it gets a bit samey ya know...:D

yes,, Frost, Poirot , Midsummers murders etc...are all fabulously well made...and really well acted...although having worked in Tv and film production for many years I still catch all the continuity errors, but they're not pretending to be a factual show..so I'm not so anal about that... However, there's so much more to our programming than the shows mentioned, so I hope you guys will get to see that great stuff , specifically Blue planet and shows like that.

Just a question....most of our documentaries are shown on the 2 channels we have BBC1 and 2 who have no advertising, or commercial breaks so our viewing of beautifully shot show like Blue Planet are no interrupted.... when you get our shows, do you get adverts during them?

Anyway... I watch a lot of American programming too...but only lightweight stuff, like 'friends' repeats of Golden girls ( love that show more than any other I think)...... or trash tv like My 4 wives...etc...simply because I enjoy the fact that they don't make me think . In the past , it was Dallas and Dynasty.. to name but 2...and who could make a Western like Americans?...or big MGM Musicals ..no-one..that's who... .. but of course I;m sure you all have fabulous TV shows that I've never seen...

I still get a kick out of the old repeats.

To the Manor Born
Last of the Summer Wine
Lovejoy
The Avengers

My can't miss program each week is EastEnders. The episodes I see on my local PBS are ten years old and they only show two episodes each week so I fall farther an farther behind.

yep Aunt Beea...I can watch to the Manor Born over and over, even though I know the scripts by now ...loved the old Summer wine but not after Compo died and they replaced him with his real life son...

I don't think we've had Lovejoy or the Avegers on Tv for many years..but it's hard to tell , they may be being shown on one of the over 500 channels we have..

LOL...as a Brit, with British TV....I have to say firstly I'm one of the few who doesn't enjoy Downton Abbey...I'm a factual personality who can't enjoy a "historical drama' that veers so far from the facts ...I spend the whole time critiquing it...so no , I don't watch Downton.

I could never stand Benny Hill...I always thought he was a licentious old letch .

yes,, Frost, Poirot , Midsummers murders etc...are all fabulously well made...and really well acted...although having worked in Tv and film production for many years I still catch all the continuity errors, but they're not pretending to be a factual show..so I'm not so anal about that... However, there's so much more to our programming than the shows mentioned, so I hope you guys will get to see that great stuff , specifically Blue planet and shows like that.

Just a question....most of our documentaries are shown on the 2 channels we have BBC1 and 2 who have no advertising, or commercial breaks so our viewing of beautifully shot show like Blue Planet are no interrupted.... when you get our shows, do you get adverts during them?

I've never heard a woman say she liked Benny Hill and I wouldn't believe her if she said she did. Benny Hill was all about men scratching their privates and thinking they were funny. Nasty humor, and I'm being generous.

We get those excellent Brit documentaries like Blue Planet on Netflix so no commercial breaks. I watch them all because they're way too good to miss.

People kept telling me Downton Abbey was the greatest show ever. I tried it for two seasons and kept finding myself in the kitchen scrubbing vegetables or washing dishes instead of watching. That's when I decided it wasn't for me. The best part of the show was Lady Mary's dresses.

I've never heard a woman say she liked Benny Hill and I wouldn't believe her if she said she did. Benny Hill was all about men scratching their privates and thinking they were funny. Nasty humor, and I'm being generous.

We get those excellent Brit documentaries like Blue Planet on Netflix so no commercial breaks. I watch them all because they're way too good to miss.

People kept telling me Downton Abbey was the greatest show ever. I tried it for two seasons and kept finding myself in the kitchen scrubbing vegetables or washing dishes instead of watching. That's when I decided it wasn't for me. The best part of the show was Lady Mary's dresses.

I so agree with you about Downton...and I;m really pleased you get shows like Blue Planet with no commercial breaks...

Back