Are more people on this forum getting e-bikes?

I have two ebikes. I do not consider them cheater bikes at all. I have bad knees and cannot ride a conventional bike very far. With my bigger ebike I can go for a 30 mile ride without issue. I do pedal 90 % of my rides which at least get me out and some exercise. There are rude people every place. Ignore them and continue on.
1707922193115.jpeg

Around here (Northern California) ebikes are usually ridden by school kids. I agree with a comparison to motorcycles, but “motorcycles” often ridden on sidewalks whose riders become fake pedestrians at cross walks. There is legislation being considered in Sacramento that would require a drivers license or state issued permit. I am all for it. BTW those ebikes use lithium ion batteries that have burned down quite a few houses and apartments.

NYC — ”In 2020, the Fire Department determined that 44 fires were caused by faulty e-bike batteries; in 2021 there were 104. So far this year there have been 191.”
Where and Why E-Bikes Catch Fire in NYC — And What Can Be Done About It

my husband has an e bike, uses it quite often.

I agree it doesnt keep you as fit as full pedalling a non ebike - but more excercise than driving somewhere in a car.

Since he isnt racing or competing against anyone, there isnt any cheating involved
We have eBikes and get lots of exercise using them. We have mechanical gears like a regular bike and then the motor has 9 settings with 1 being just a very mild assist and 9 really is the total source of power. So we ride ours at 1 or 2 depending on the terrain and the mechanical at about 7, which means it's mostly us doing the work. Our batteries last a very long time that way and if perchance we do a really long bike trip and are too pooped to pedal all the way back, then the battery gets us home. Best of both worlds that way. I think the longest we ever rode was from Chilliwack city to near Chilliwack Lake which is about 55 km. Used the battery most of the way home.

Around here (Northern California) ebikes are usually ridden by school kids. I agree with a comparison to motorcycles, but “motorcycles” often ridden on sidewalks whose riders become fake pedestrians at cross walks. There is legislation being considered in Sacramento that would require a drivers license or state issued permit. I am all for it. BTW those ebikes use lithium ion batteries that have burned down quite a few houses and apartments.

NYC — ”In 2020, the Fire Department determined that 44 fires were caused by faulty e-bike batteries; in 2021 there were 104. So far this year there have been 191.”
Where and Why E-Bikes Catch Fire in NYC — And What Can Be Done About It
Then I guess all the powered wheel chair users better send those things to the scrap yard because they use lithium ion batteries too.

Can‘t say how dangerous electric wheelchairs might or might not be, but ...

“On Thursday, a family in Morada, California, very nearly lost their home when an electric wheelchair started a fire on the enclosed porch.”
Electric Wheelchair Starts House Fire, But Family Is Alive Thanks to Fast-Acting Good Samaritan
I guess if any here are concerned about eBikes, they should start getting concerned about the powered wheel chairs too.

Back