Are we getting too "virus" crazy?

At my local grocery store the cashier spritzed her hands with some antiviral wash before she started to touch my order. I used my credit card and afterwards it was spritzed. This sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure. Yet, I wonder if all these super antiviral sprays that people are now routinely using are going to come back and bite us, in time. It's kind of what we created in hospital- germs that are resistant to disinfectants and antibiotics. Wearing masks, social distancing, and using soap and water are the best defenses. They are preventing the spread of the virus, without creating the groundwork for a supervirus. Are we getting too "virus" crazy?

I think we are. I either wash my hands or use sanitizer after leaving a store. With all the hand washing and sanitizing going on, I have to wonder what it's doing to our immune systems. It's surely not helping them. We almost never pay in cash, and we put our card into the machine ourselves.

Interestingly, Jersey Mike's, a sandwich shop we enjoy, has taken down the makeshift vinyl barrier between the sandwich makers and the customer because it was getting kinda cruddy. They moved tables up against the ordering place, so customers and sandwich makers can stay 6 feet apart. I think it's sensible.

At my local grocery store the cashier spritzed her hands with some antiviral wash before she started to touch my order. I used my credit card and afterwards it was spritzed. This sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure. Yet, I wonder if all these super antiviral sprays that people are now routinely using are going to come back and bite us, in time. It's kind of what we created in hospital- germs that are resistant to disinfectants and antibiotics. Wearing masks, social distancing, and using soap and water are the best defenses. They are preventing the spread of the virus, without creating the groundwork for a supervirus. Are we getting too "virus" crazy?
Not too virus crazy at all... LOTS of room for improvement IMO, and would like to see more strict rules regarding. Fines, whatever it takes.

Yes, some people are getting virus crazy.
But they're fun to watch. Especially the ones wearing gloves, mask & face shield, scarf covering head & forehead and big sunglasses.
They look like the Unabomber
unabomber_03.jpg

Not too virus crazy at all... LOTS of room for improvement IMO, and would like to see more strict rules regarding. Fines, whatever it takes.

I'm curious about what other measures you would enact to curtail other people's freedom? More fines? Some jail time, perhaps? I walk my dogs every morning. I don't wear a mask. Sometimes I say good morning to other neighbors. Sometimes we're closer than six feet. How much should I be fined? And who's going to enforce it?

I believe we get our freedom from God, not the government.

I way prefer soap and water, but hand sanitizer has its place in my routine. I put a 2 oz bottle of it in my pocket when going to a store, use liberal amounts before getting back into the car, and refill the tiny bottle as needed. DH & I haven't even gone through an 8 oz bottle we bought in early March.

@peramangkelder, thanks for posting that cautionary video. What an eye opener!!!

In our area, most of the people and businesses are following the guidelines, masks, etc., and the local numbers of those infected remain quite low. However, the college students and "bar hoppers" in the larger towns are "paying the price" for their responsibilities.

Since it appears that it will be many months before an effective vaccine is found, and disseminated in quantity sufficient to bring this illness under control, we will continue to avoid situations where there are those so irresponsible that they feel it is their "right" to cough and sneeze on others.

I'm curious about what other measures you would enact to curtail other people's freedom? More fines? Some jail time, perhaps? I walk my dogs every morning. I don't wear a mask. Sometimes I say good morning to other neighbors. Sometimes we're closer than six feet. How much should I be fined? And who's going to enforce it?

I believe we get our freedom from God, not the government.
Well, I'm glad you asked, Carol.

This morning I caught a blip on the news that reports restaurant goers in Calgary Alberta Canada, who are not abiding by city guidelines and rules surrounding mask wearing, so owners of restaurants are now looking at security.

It's law to wear a mask everywhere in Calgary (right now), so for those who are bent on showing everyone around them who's boss by not wearing their masks, a hefty monetary penalty should be imposed.

It should be enough to hurt... I mean really hurt. $1000 a pop for first offenders, $5000 for second offenders, and for those who - just... don't... get it... a $10,000 fine.

Aside from the current closure that's in effect related to Canadian borders and international travel, I would like to see provincial borders right here in our own country closed to travellers.

As for the general attitude... "who's going to enforce it", and... "I don't have to if I don't want to", I believe sweeping changes will come in the weeks ahead related to that sort of mentality, at least in our country.

Here in BC, we're doing well, and that is the result of British Columbians doing their part, not playing childish games, bucking the system, or tempting fate, but for those who are still determined to huff and puff - "I'm not going to allow anyone to tell me what to do", or, "I don't have to cramp my personal, self-serving lifestyle over something so petty as Covid-19", or, "I have rights, and no one has the right to infringe upon my rights", those types are only hurting themselves, because instead of Covid-19 measures easing in the future, that sort of behaviour is only going to encourage even more rules, more penalties, and more restrictions, but it's going to help extend the already long-term prospect of seeing Covid-19 measures in place for not just months to comes, but years to come.

People are the product of their own making, and as with all things society, they'll always be a class or following of folk who - just... don't... get it.

Wow. Pretty Draconian, isn't it? Not to mention dictatorial. And in the country, probably unconstitutional.
Not draconian enough as far as I'm concerned.

I often compare adults to toddlers... where you can tell them, "do not touch", yet they go back and touch again and again.

My opinion is, to the inconsiderate percentage who continue to display their contempt over guidelines and rules surrounding distancing, mask wearing, and other like actions, all while placing at risk, those who are fragile, weak, or susceptible, those types (the inconsiderate) should be treated like cigarette butts and stamped-out. Removed from society. Banned from entering buildings. Banned from visiting public spaces. Banned from even leaving their homes.

Sadly, sometimes adults need to be treated like little children in order to get the point across, and if that means draconian ways and means, penalties, fines, even jail time, show me where to sign my name in support of no-nonsense measures to help ensure the safety of all, and to remind the self-serving type that the current guidelines and restrictions apply to all, not just a few.

I've never seen such arrogance and immaturity rubbed in the face of something so dire.

We seem to be doing well here. We don't get too close, however I do have a friendly dog. No mask, etc. HOWEVER this is in a forest. Don't think it would be anything other than funny. We have not had one case here withing 50 k. This works here, not in crowds, holiday areas like cottage country.
Main question from me is "Where the h...l is the common sense?"
When shopping etc with other people around...face shield and gloves

We seem to be doing well here. We don't get too close, however I do have a friendly dog. No mask, etc. HOWEVER this is in a forest. Don't think it would be anything other than funny. We have not had one case here withing 50 k. This works here, not in crowds, holiday areas like cottage country.
Main question from me is "Where the h...l is the common sense?"
It's out the door and down the toilet, Lakeland, and one doesn't need to look far or wide to find it right here on this thread.

Last edited:
Some people actually prefer to have their lives run completely by others & be herded like sheep. Maybe they feel it gives them "direction."
For me personally, I've not once viewed it as being herded, manipulated, or dictated to, but rather, more of a simple and elementary imposed measure in an attempt to stave off outright carnage.

In observing Covid-19 in the USofA, that tells me everything I need to know as to how well bucking the system works.

Act foolish, look foolish. Shrug shoulders. To each their own.

Ontario has this past week jumped up the fines, lowered the allowed numbers in gatherings.
Throw a party 10,000 dollars for the person having the party. & 750 dollars to those that attend. He promised during the next week. Since I use common sense , so far it will not affect me, living in a forest....lol
I commend your leaders.

I suspect even with the knowledge of penalties that apply, they'll still be a few that choose to wear dunce-caps.

Who'd be foolish enough to buy Argentina's 100-year bonds? The biggest fund  companies out there - MarketWatch

Back