Are you a postage stamp?

No & neither are you. You're here aren't you? This is somewhere to go. You don't have to physically go to be somewhere. You can find virtual tours online that you can watch. You can read books. You can find sites to play games on like cards & bingo & stuff. When you're alone you have to learn to make you're own fun. Be your own best friend. Be your own companion. It sucks at first but you get used to it. Don't sulk. Find something to keep your mind occupied. :)

There are time's I've felt that way, but I work very hard to banish those feelings. If you feel that way, you act that way and it turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I find that if I keep whatever interactions I may have with others positive, they're more likely to want to keep interacting with me. I'm not saying it's easy, but I don't want to be miserable all the time.

As for no where to go, this pandemic severely limits our options. So when I do manage to get out, I try hard to enjoy myself, even if it's just some routine errand.

No one else can really help us, so we have to help ourselves.

I'll tell you something Victor...your happiness doesn't depend on other people. It starts with you & what's inside of you. If I relied on people to be happy I'd be in a psyche ward somewhere. You have to figure out how to take care of yourself emotionally because no one is going to do that for you. For years now the only one who bothers to call me is my mother. I get no phone calls...no mail & no visits from any "friends" at all. Ever.

I've tried over the years to build relationships with people & have faced major disappointments all the way. I finally got so discouraged I quit trying. It wasn't worth the heartache. I took my own emotional well being into my own hands. I discovered what I enjoy & that's what I do. By myself.

I decided I wasn't wasting anymore tears or time on people who really don't care. They talk a good game but the proof is in their actions. I urge you take control of your own well being. Don't let people rule your mental health. You are responsible for yourself & it's time to step up & take care of your own hurting heart. It's not easy but it's not impossible.

On an old envelope,
Alone, stuck in a corner, depressed and nowhere to go?

As I look at some of the replies of others, somehow I feel if I was feeling the way you've been feeling, I would not feel comforted. Sitting alone it can feel like it's overwhelming. These days we can't get out and go much of anywhere to alieviate the aloneness. I've had so many losses that it can be overwhelming. John Denver had a song about this. It was called Fly Away. If it were me I'd find an old dog or old cat at the animal shelter, a little animal person who doesn't have anyone either. I wouldn't get a young one, because I might not live long enough to take care of it until it passes. If you need to write to someone, I'm here. Send me a message when you are feeling down. I mean it. I have a website. You can find out who I am through that site. Know that someone cares.

I live alone but thankfully still have some family and friends for social. A couple of things I have learned although not always easy to put into practice are - as stated above, think of yourself first, secondly - never compare your situation with others, thirdly - think of the present and not the past or the future (although sometime I do love to bask in some of the good times gone by) and lastly focus on the one thing, one mind, as it's easy to think lots of things at the same time which makes you lose focus.

Everyone who replied to the initial post did so with caring and empathy. It affected me om a deeply personal level because I'm at a point in my life where I struggle daily against those feelings (and I'm determined to win). But the post cut a little too close to home.

Being told that it was a joke left me feeling a little foolish and exposed. I'm sure you didn't mean to be cruel, but in the future, please think twice about what's funny and what isn't.

I'll tell you something Victor...your happiness doesn't depend on other people. It starts with you & what's inside of you. If I relied on people to be happy I'd be in a psyche ward somewhere. You have to figure out how to take care of yourself emotionally because no one is going to do that for you. For years now the only one who bothers to call me is my mother. I get no phone calls...no mail & no visits from any "friends" at all. Ever.

I've tried over the years to build relationships with people & have faced major disappointments all the way. I finally got so discouraged I quit trying. It wasn't worth the heartache. I took my own emotional well being into my own hands. I discovered what I enjoy & that's what I do. By myself.

I decided I wasn't wasting anymore tears or time on people who really don't care. They talk a good game but the proof is in their actions. I urge you take control of your own well being. Don't let people rule your mental health. You are responsible for yourself & it's time to step up & take care of your own hurting heart. It's not easy but it's not impossible.
Marci You have hit the nail on the head. One of the major reasons my husband and I are still together, despite our many issues, is the knowledge we can rely on each other for certain things.

A lot of friends are merely fair weather friends who disappear when the going gets rough. Or when you have nothing else to offer but companionship. It is nearly impossible to make a friend, even before the virus, when you don’t work. The friends you had at work seem to lose interest in a short while.

I have few interactions other than family, and they are busy with their own lives. Except my son with DS who calls nearly every day. 🥰

Like @MarciKS Says we are responsible for our own well being. We are responsible to seek help when we need it-mental and physical. I often feel that I am invisible when I am not listened too or I am ignored. I have to remind myself that my children are adults and entitled to their own lives.

I am responsible to build my own world that I can live in as happily as possible-as are we all.

Back