Are you a shredder?

Glowworm

What do you do with old documents that contain personal information before you dispose of them?

Do you burn or shred them or do you just throw them out with the other trash?

I'm a big shredder, any document that has any kind of personal information goes through the shredder before it goes to recycling.

I used to shred them , or mush them up in soapy water for days till they were papier mache... but now I just strike out my name and address with this ID roller stamp

Miseyo-Wide-Roller-Stamp-Identity-Theft-Stamp-1.jpg

I tear them up mix them with some goopy garbage and toss them in the bin.

The worst item for me is prescription medicine bottles. They seem to have my entire life story printed on them. I always try to peel the labels off before I put the bottles into the recycling bin.
I peel the labels off and fold the labels over and scrunch them with the sticky side out. I doubt anyone would be that interested in the details to undo them after they've been mixed in with other garbage.

I have gone paperless for everything I can. The only hard copies I have are the 1099's,etc. for my taxes. I save 7 years' of returns, and when we have the big shredder truck come by I give the old ones to them.
I do have a shredder, however for the occasional document.

We have a shredder. Years ago when we had our cats I would put a double sheet of newspaper in the bottom of the litter box, add shredded paper instead of litter. The litter box was in our laundry room so as as soon as the cat did his thing we would pick up the corners of the newspaper and discard it.
If we ran out of shredded paper the hubby would bring some home from work.

I used to shred , but now I don’t bother,
I rip up the heading with name and address, and either bin them, or burn in an old tin bucket ..
I’ve gone nearly all paperless now !

I have a shredder, and for large amounts of paper, I take them down to the clubhouse where there are a couple of secure boxes, too big and heavy to be carried off. They are emptied by an official who has the key, and shredded right there on the premises.

I used to think that if someone tried to use my personal info to get money, all they get is the old line, "practice". Until I was hounded to death because of con woman, who kept using my telephone number. In her cons to get new cars off dealers' lots, her name was fictitious, the towns didn't exist, and the zip codes didn't match the the states, but she used my real telephone number. And changing numbers didn't help, because it was so easy to find out the new number. And I just happened to pick up a copy of the invoice from when my neighbor rented a car. It was a gold mine of info. name,, address, mother's name DOB, SSN, credit card #, SSN. Since then nothing leaves my home without being shredded.

Back