Are you a wino? : )

Maybe you have noticed all those wineries that seemed to have popped up overnight? There's a reason for that. I don't understand all the demographic and wine drinkers' tables, but it seems the young don't drink much wine. As a population ages, its appetite for wine increases. Our population is getting older, and drinking wine a lot more. Are you a wine drinker? Are you one of those people, who knows which wine goes with what? A teetotaler? :)

I think that the younger folks are more influenced by targeted marketing of the myriad of flavored beers and hard ales. The more mature set stays with the simple, conventional alcoholic beverages. We keep a couple bottles of wine on hand, just had the kids up for T'giving and they drank some Simply Fruit peach wine. There's a bottle of Beringer's White Zinfandel in the cupboard that the wife will probably drink.
I personally prefer Scotch these days, wine sometimes gives me a headache.

I love wine. I know generally which wine goes with what, but that's about the extent of it. There is an incredible level of snobbery and pretense in the wine world, but I try to avoid that. My local wine store has good wines on sale each month.

Too much of a good thing and all that, so now we only open a bottle on "steak night" (usually Saturday) or for special occasions.

Never been a wine drinker, usually abstained from alcohol. Came from a long line of problem drinkers. My dad along with 3 of his 5 brothers were 'mean drunks', mother drank wine for her health, go figure. My sister hosted many 'Wine & Cheese' socials, I was never invited.

I was always the designated driver with my friends. Finally in my 30's I rebelled I was through baby sitting drunks and trying to keep them from fighting.

I sampled wine coolers, sorry reminded me of white vinegar which I accidently drank once, thinking it was a bottle of water. Beer has an unpleasant taste to me.

Give me a glass of water or a good cup of coffee and all is good. I just never handled the morning after very well.

Last edited:
Maybe you have noticed all those wineries that seemed to have popped up overnight? There's a reason for that. I don't understand all the demographic and wine drinkers' tables, but it seems the young don't drink much wine. As a population ages, its appetite for wine increases. Our population is getting older, and drinking wine a lot more. Are you a wine drinker? Are you one of those people, who knows which wine goes with what? A teetotaler? :)
I tried wine a few years ago. I just wanted a glass of wine after dinner. After awhile, I accummulated quite a lot of bottles! I painted and decorated one. I stopped having wine after dinner. I did find out by reading labels what it went with and not all are sweet.

We used to have wine when we had dinner out. At family dinners, the most we had was a glass or two,
keeping in mind the drive home. I rarely drink alcohol. The O/H drinks non-alcoholic beer or the occasional nip of Scotch whiskey at bedtime.
To each his own. There are some delicious wines out there and I really love a Colorado Bull Dog-but since I love it, I stay away from it. I know what alchohol can do to you if you aren't a responsible person, that is why.

Never had a drink in my life. Grew up in a family that abstained. Maybe some bad drinkers in previous generations?

Somehow made it to 89 without the help of booze. Hopefully I can make it the rest of the way.

One drawback being a non-drinker. You have to take responsibility for ALL or your actions. No chuckling, shaking your head and saying, "Must have had a few too many last night".

Never had a drink in my life. Grew up in a family that abstained. Maybe some bad drinkers in previous generations?

Somehow made it to 89 without the help of booze. Hopefully I can make it the rest of the way.

One drawback being a non-drinker. You have to take responsibility for ALL or your actions. No chuckling, shaking your head and saying, "Must have had a few too many last night".
I had a past generation person who became a wino, but lost his family and job and much more. He, in his later years, quit drinking. But, it was too late, he lost everything-but he became a believer in the Lord and won others. But, very little showed up at his funeral. He probably had a wonderful welcoming party at his final home. I still love him.

My parents were tea-total, just as a matter of principal. My mother's family were Methodists and at that time Methodists didn't drink and were very active in the temperance movement. My father's family were Presbyterian and I actually think he went along with my mother because drinking is an expensive habit.

I've had the occasional whiskey and coke or margarita over the years, but I found out long ago that even one small glass of wine gives me an instant headache and makes me so maudlin I start to cry.

Back