Are you addicted to your Mobile phone?

I gave up my landline 6 or 7 years ago too.

I think my little burner phone is great I just don't need to use a telephone more than a couple of times a month.

It's actually me that is not keeping up with the times, not my telephone.

Whatever floats your boat. I honestly don't get why this is rant-worthy. You don't want a mobile phone? Don't get one. As my father would ask in situations like these, "Do you expect a medal for this?"

Those of us with cell phones don't judge those who decide against having them.

Rudeness didn't originate with cell phone use. Before cells, it was very common to see people reading newspapers, magazines and books in restaurants and public spaces, completely ignoring their companions.
Thank you. I have grown weary of the 'holier than thou because I never use my cell" threads. They are just an excuse for yet another meaningless rant.

Is rant-worthy, like as above you mean?

Addicted? Probably. I enjoy it. I play games on it. I text my daughter, and keep in touch with friends. It's almost always with me. And even when it's not, I have my Apple watch. LOL! But I'm not so addicted that it has supplanted the important things in my life.

Is rant-worthy, like as above you mean?
Maybe so. I just get tired of people attempting to cell-phone or technology-use shame others. Virtually everything in life is a mixed bag. Good and bad.

People should obviously be courteous to those around them, including quieting down their public cell phone conversations as well as using "inside voices" during face-to-face conversations.

Last edited:
No. Only use it for emergency or to locate someone. Have used a mobile phone 3 times. We still have landline (to be changed into VOIP which still makes it a landline).

I wouldn't want to do without it for a day. With family over 1000 miles away, it is our main source of contact.

Addicted? Probably. I enjoy it. I play games on it. I text my daughter, and keep in touch with friends. It's almost always with me. And even when it's not, I have my Apple watch. LOL! But I'm not so addicted that it has supplanted the important things in my life.

Is the Apple Watch a good investment? ...
I'm thinking of getting one and really don't know much about them. Would like to hear all they do before I buy. Good for emergencies?
So many choices, but all expensive .. lol

Is the Apple Watch a good investment? ...
I'm thinking of getting one and really don't know much about them. Would like to hear all they do before I buy. Good for emergencies?
So many choices, but all expensive .. lol

I have an Apple Watch, and it is definitely a good investment, especially for seniors ! When my daughter first wanted to give me one, I refused and said that it was so small that I could not even see anything, and would certainly never be doing any internet stuff on a watch !
However, she gave it to me anyway, and I found that being a watch is only one of its minor functions.
Here is a list that I made of all of the Apple Watch functions that I think are important :

1. You can track your health with the heart rate app, as well as now also being able to do an EKG anytime you think you need it, and it can be sent immediately to your cardiologist; so you are much more likely to get medical treatment faster.
  2. You can track your sleep patterns, as well as see how you are breathing and how your heart rate is at night while you are asleep. Sleepmatic shows when you are in a light sleep or a deep sleep, as well as a graph of overnight heart rate.
  3. The Apple Watch can sense if you fall, or even stumble, and it will shake on your wrist and send a message asking if you fell and if you are okay. You can respond that you did or didn’t fall, and whether you need help or not. Should you completely pass out, or for some reason can’t respond at all, the watch will call emergency as well as your emergency contact people, and will also send your location so help can find you.
  4. There is an “emergency button” on the side of the watch, and if you hold that button down, it also calls for help. If you are exercising/swimming, the watch cannot be shut down, so you can’t accidentally turn it off if you are trying to get help.
  5. This is so much better than using a phone, and you never miss a call again, because you can feel it shake your wrist, and you can see who is calling you. It is easy to answer a phone call with the watch, and you can talk when you are driving and not need earbuds. My phone is always on silent, so it never rings; but it shakes on my wrist. There are little answers that you can use if someone texts you, so you can let them know you got the message and will respond later.
  6. Security. This is important to seniors. I feel like I am more prepared for any kind of emergency, anywhere it happens. I can always get help by using the watch, and even if I pass out and can’t tell anyone I need help, the watch will call for help, and send people to my location.
  7. There are a lot of other features that are nice to have (although not essential), so you are alerted when there is going to be bad weather, and can put the most important complications on your watch to let you know the things you are interested in.
  8. Beautiful ... the Apple Watch has so many different faces, and so many possibilities for watch bands, that you can always have a watch that looks just like you want it to, and with numbers large enough to read the time. There are a lot of other great features, but this covers the main ones.

Thank you so much! @Happyflowerlady .... just the type of information that I needed to know.

Living alone, and not always having my iPhone beside me, I have been thinking the Apple Watch might be the best answer to getting help if needed. Love all the various health/heart/sleep information readily available too.
Everything you mention is of interest to me.

Is it difficult to set up with all the various features? ...
My phone has pairing instructions for the watch on it ... hoping that is all that is needed. ?

It is simple to set it up ! You just hold it near your phone and it pairs. There will be a watch app already on your phone, and that is how you can choose the different faces and complications that you want on it.
Many of the health apps sync with the Apple Watch . I have Humana 365GO and it gives me credit for exercise each month, and Amazon gift cards, and walgreens also gives you reward points, so you can even earn rewards when you sync the watch with the health apps that offer rewards.
If you are going to swim, you need to get one that is at least a Series 2 or newer, and the cellular one is great because you don’t even need to take your phone along if you do not want to.
I carry mine in my purse anyway, but the watch works anywhere without the phone. One day, I was in the back yard, and trying to pick up our chubby little dog, but I couldn’t do it and needed my husband to help. I hollered, but he didn’t her me....... and then I remembered the watch !
All I had to do was say “Hey, Siri, call Robert”, and the watch called him and he came out and helped me.
I might not be addicted to my iPhone, but I am certainly addicted to my Apple Watch .

It is simple to set it up ! You just hold it near your phone and it pairs. There will be a watch app already on your phone, and that is how you can choose the different faces and complications that you want on it.
Many of the health apps sync with the Apple Watch . I have Humana 365GO and it gives me credit for exercise each month, and Amazon gift cards, and walgreens also gives you reward points, so you can even earn rewards when you sync the watch with the health apps that offer rewards.
If you are going to swim, you need to get one that is at least a Series 2 or newer, and the cellular one is great because you don’t even need to take your phone along if you do not want to.
I carry mine in my purse anyway, but the watch works anywhere without the phone. One day, I was in the back yard, and trying to pick up our chubby little dog, but I couldn’t do it and needed my husband to help. I hollered, but he didn’t her me....... and then I remembered the watch !
All I had to do was say “Hey, Siri, call Robert”, and the watch called him and he came out and helped me.
I might not be addicted to my iPhone, but I am certainly addicted to my Apple Watch .
WOW....thank you from me too, I never realized just how much the Apple Watch could do!

I am not addicted it. I was never a phone person. I am a computer person though and that is how I connect with social media unless I am away from home. My bf though, is addicted to it. Right now he is Facebook jail and it is hard on him! lol The only person I ever talk to on my phone is him and he calls me many times every day. My son contacts me through Messenger instead of a phone. A phone is handy for me though since I am alone and when I travel around town on my mobility chair in the warm weather. In case I needed help. Even if I go to my bathroom in the middle of the night, I carry it with me, just in case I fall or something.

Back