Are You Frugal?

Thanks, @Aunt Marg. I think you're right -- unsalted butter is wonderful. And artificial colors are just not needed.

I'll have a look for unsalted butter here in the U.S. I'm sure it's carried in some stores.
Yes, look for both unsalted and no artificial colouring, Devi.

For a good number of years now I have gauged my buying towards products with less in them. The less - the better.

@Gaer & @Aunt Marg That's what I'm talkin about Gaer. My husband used to buy Kirkland brand butter and I like it very much but I hardly use butter, so there's some still in the freezer. I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray because it's easy to put on my broccoli and it has a bit of a salty taste but does not contain sodium. I know...maybe it's bad for me but I did ask my nutritionist about it. She said she doubts it would do much harm because the water content is high. Anyway...I will not be without it. My son used to buy Kerry Gold butter...it's expensive, even at Costco. I notice last two times he bought butter it was Kirkland.

Gosh, the price of butter today.

I buy nothing but real butter, and I buy a European brand with no added colouring or salt. Have for years, and while I pay a good amount more for it, the quality and taste makes it well worth it.
My daughter buys only the Irish brand (forget the name) but it's WONDERFUL! I'm not in that bracket to afford it.

KERRY! THAT'S IT! Wish I could buy only that!

When butter‘s on sale I buy 3 or 4 pounds, cut it into quarters & freeze them. When I thaw a quarter, I cut it into quarters again. DH doesn’t eat butter so it lasts for a long time. I do bake with butter.

@Aunt Marg, what store do you find that European Dairyland in. I’ve never seen it here.

When butter‘s on sale I buy 3 or 4 pounds, cut it into quarters & freeze them. When I thaw a quarter, I cut it into quarters again. DH doesn’t eat butter so it lasts for a long time. I do bake with butter.

@Aunt Marg, what store do you find that European Dairyland in. I’ve never seen it here.
I buy it at our Save-on-Foods grocery store.

Do you guys have a Save-on-Foods, Jules?

I've never seen it anywhere else but Save-on-Foods.

Thanks. I might go to one tomorrow. It’s shopping day.
I‘ve read raves about French butter & never knew why. Maybe it’s time to treat myself.
Butter isn’t the same quality as it used to be years ago, IMO.
Think the Irish butter is better. Have bought both and prefer the Irish.

Interesting - can you guess why it's better?
Would you say it is dramatically better, a little bit better, or somewhere in between?
Remember?
Betty Botter bought some butter
But she said this butter's bitter
If I put it in my batter
It will make my batter bitter,
But a bit of better butter
Will surely make my batter better.

So she bought a bit of butter
Better than her bitter butter
And she put it in her batter
And her batter was not bitter.
So t'was better Betty Botter
Bought a bit of better butter.
:rolleyes:

Interesting - can you guess why it's better?
Would you say it is dramatically better, a little bit better, or somewhere in between?
Lets put it this way StarSong... think if you take a whiff of both of them and then taste them, you'll be able to tell the difference. Only buy the French when they don't have any "Kerrygold". Still formulate food part time for some clients, so let me put it this way...wouldn't use it to make those special "butter" cookies or to slather on top of your priceless homemade bread.

I tried to give the comparison a good test. The results - I can’t taste the difference.

There’s a fat content listing on the European package. The next time in the store, I’ll compare both packages to see if there’s a significant difference.
Thank you greatly for letting me know!

I would have never expected the findings.

Back