Are you who you think you are? Or

This is true. I've been surprised when I realised how some people perceived me. They expected me to behave in a certain way and got a shock when I didn't oblige.
This is one of the reasons why I choose solitude. People quickly become dependant on me and have expectations I just don't want to fulfil.

Are you who you think you are? Or are you who others perceive you to be?
I'm definitely who I think I am. 🙂

I'm Nobody! Who are you?

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!
How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –
To tell one's name – the livelong June –
To an admiring Bog!

~ Emily Dickinson

Am I who others perceive me to be? To them, I am. People can perceive me however they want to. Just because they perceive something doesn't make it true. I have no doubt that people I know and have known perceive me differently from one another. I'm whatever it suits them for me to be. I've lived long enough to know that I can't change anyone's mind (perception) about anything. Only they can change their minds.
I don't know who they think I am, but I know who I am, and that's all ...

@Nathan - Are you who you think you are? Or are you who others perceive you to be? If you ask the questions, it's only fair that you answer them. 😉

Bella ✌️

People make up their minds as what type of personality you have. Did you ever hear someone say that hey didn't like that person from day 1? He may have been a really nice guy, but jealousy or contempt can control a person's thoughts about the person in front of them. It happens a lot in the military. No one likes it when someone passes them by, especially if they have been employed longer or a member of an organization longer.

We judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their behavior.
Stephen Covey
Are you who you think you are? Or are you who others perceive you to be?
Not an easily answered question, not something I think about a lot...

I'd be interested to know what others here think of me and who I am. Or do y'all think of me at all? Don't hold back, one thing I do have is a thick skin, my perception anyway... I asked for it.

Stephen Covey

I'd be interested to know what others here think of me and who I am. Or do y'all think of me at all? Don't hold back, one thing I do have is a thick skin, my perception anyway... I asked for it.
well we can't really judge people fairly from what they write...aside from those who are downright and obviously liars or argumentative.. and there's a few on here.. and on most forums

I think of you as a decent friendly, and interested man, who loves to Fish.... I don't think we can glean anything more than that from forum posts tbh Rob

Stephen Covey

Yes, Stephen Covey makes a good point.

I stopped trying to be who others perceive me to be when I left my abusive ex. It took a lot of therapy, support groups and self help to rid myself of that programming, because he’d groomed me for 30+ years to be “the perfect wife” (and I never did measure up)

These days I am my authentic self, the most “me” I’ve ever been. I’m comfortable in my own skin, I like (mostly anyway😉) who I am, and present the same face to everyone. What you see is what you get!

The question that I composed for myself is: Who am I when I am all alone, without a role to play? My life was constantly ruled by a continuous string of roles - often many different ones at a time. That's why I favored separate vacations - putting myself in a new situation with new people who have no preset expectations of me. It really helped me (finally) develop some degree of self-awareness.

After some deliberation, I have accepted that I am 'multifaceted.' Still, I rather envy those that are 'simple.'

I don't know you much, Alli, but what I've read so far, I'd really like to get to know you better.
Maybe over coffee or a beer
Maybe sharing a fishing hole

Are you who you think you are?​

A question my mother used to ask me;

'Who do you think you are, young man?!!'

Had several smart-ass replies cooked up, but never said
(knew better)

Thought I was superman when I was a kid
But tall buildings scared the crap outa me

Now, for the question

Are you who you think you are?​

Still don't know

but

I'm not who others think I am
(I do know that)

It doesn't matter to me anymore. Only my son & grandson matter. I'm liberated from those thoughts of 'who am I' 'where am I' 'what am I' 'what do others think'

If only I felt this way my whole life. I understand 'youth is wasted on the young.'
I understand that for sure. I have always cared, but not to the extent of changing for others. Aint going to happen. I am genuine.

Back