Arkansas group offering $10,000 and a free bike to new residents

An economic development organization in Northwest Arkansas is seeking to lure new residents to the area with an offer of $10,000 and a free bicycle.

The Northwest Arkansas Council's Life Works Here Initiative announced it is offering aspiring residents of the region a payment of $10,000 to relocate, as well as a street or mountain bike for enjoying the area's 162 miles of paved trails and 322 miles of mountain biking trails.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...d-a-free-bike-to-new-residents/4361605725763/

An economic development organization in Northwest Arkansas is seeking to lure new residents to the area with an offer of $10,000 and a free bicycle.

The Northwest Arkansas Council's Life Works Here Initiative announced it is offering aspiring residents of the region a payment of $10,000 to relocate, as well as a street or mountain bike for enjoying the area's 162 miles of paved trails and 322 miles of mountain biking trails.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/1...d-a-free-bike-to-new-residents/4361605725763/
What a unique idea!

"Eligibility Requirements
In order to be eligible for our program, applicants must have the ability to relocate to Northwest Arkansas within 6 months of acceptance, and must have full-time remote employment, or be self-employed. Applicants must currently live outside of Arkansas, be 24 years old or older, and be eligible to work and live in the United States."

Bribing people to live somewhere means it's not a nice place to live. Ever hear the saying. "You couldn't pay me to....".
You hear that kind of thing here, especially as real estate prices have rocketed. People fantasize about selling and moving to Podunk, buying a really nice house for cash, and stashing $400K or more in the bank. Then they say, "Of course the problem is, who wants to live in a Podunk town?"

Then they say, "Of course the problem is, who wants to live in a Podunk town?"
Raising my hand. :) However, I'd have to change that to living "near" a podunk town.
I kinda chuckle everytime a coaster comes to this area. First thing is build a big fancy house and usually a huge shop building to boot and surround it with that white vinyl fencing. Of course the local hay seed farmers around here are not the least bit impressed by this (we find 4 strand barb wire works very well), and soon, (usually 1 maybe 2 years) that big old house is on the market. (where it will sit for quite a while until the next out of towner comes along with his/her dream).

Raising my hand. :) However, I'd have to change that to living "near" a podunk town.
I kinda chuckle everytime a coaster comes to this area. First thing is build a big fancy house and usually a huge shop building to boot and surround it with that white vinyl fencing. Of course the local hay seed farmers around here are not the least bit impressed by this (we find 4 strand barb wire works very well), and soon, (usually 1 maybe 2 years) that big old house is on the market. (where it will sit for quite a while until the next out of towner comes along with his/her dream).
To each our own. :cool:

Back