As a senior what do you not want any longer

hollydolly

SF VIP
As we get older some of us shrug off things we wanted or felt were important to our lives or happiness when we were younger..

..or conversely are their things that have only happened since you got older and you don't care for them at all ?

For example..I'm in my early 60's and young acting and thinking but... I could do without drama, and fussing, and arguing...

I feel I'm over wearing high heels except for car to bar, otherwise it's low heels and flats all the way....

I don't want to be buying ''stuff' much any more..I feel that I donate more than I buy...

I definitely feel I don't want to be patronised by teen servers or sales assistants..

I know there's a large range of seniors here..some young seniors and some much older seniors so we'll all have varying views...

..so what , now you're a senior do you feel you don't want or need in your life any more..?...

I'm in my early 60's and young acting and thinking but..

Yes, you are young looking, acting, thinking...but early 60s? 64 soon to be 65 is mid 60s, HD. Nothing wrong with that. I don't mean to nitpick, but I notice you often make that comment.

btw I'm only in my late 60s ...(69)... I'll be 70 this year.(y)

As far as things I no longer want to deal with:
Hearing people yelling/arguing.
Loud music coming from vehicles.
Being rushed.
Justifying myself
Jewelry...not a big fan

Last edited:
I did a pretty good job of purging our home this past year and I don't want anymore stuff to stand around. Finally my family understands that.
If they want to treat me they can invite me for dinner,give me flowers or plants, or gluten free foods that I particularly love and most of all their time.
During my purging I got rid of all my canning supplies that at one time I loved
All my cake decorating equipment from when I made wedding cakes as a little side venture.
A punch bowl and cups
A big coffee urn for the company we had years back
Lamps and small tables from a decor I no longer have.
The list goes on. Now when I look in our storage room I really feel like I lightened the load.

Well, I'm with HD on the heels, and if I hadn't stopped wearing heels years ago when I tore all the tendons in one of my ankles that would be the first silly thing to go after retiring.

I could do without being treated like an infant as soon as someone figures out that I'm retired. In fact, I hate it so much that I did a whole battery of research projects on infantilization of the elderly. GRRRR. I have yet to meet one older adult who likes being treated like an infant, yet so many younger and middle aged people try.

No, you may not talk baby talk to me or speak in a sing-song, high pitched voice. I'm old, not demented.

No, you may not assume that I do not know anything about technology - for crying aloud, I spent the first half of my adult life as a programmer/analyst, and the second half as a professor whose whole life was wrapped up in tech.

And HD is absolutely correct about drama. Shucks, I haven't ever liked it and used to have the following sign in my office. A picture of Sylvester the Cat with his finger pointing down the hall. It said: Take your silly ass problem down the hall to someone who gives a damn. It was right beside my little pottery urn that said: Remains of problem students.

Ha, my students loved it as they knew I wouldn't put up with nonsensical drama. Real problems? Absolutely, I'll bend over backwards to help, but NO drama.

@applecruncher ...yes I do think at 64 I'm in my early 60's . probably because I'm fortunate that don't look as old as I might nor do i think any older than when I was 60, so it's like the last 4 years have raced by so fast I haven't noticed them, I suppose yes I should think that I'm almost in my mid 60's now

however my point in saying it was that there's quite an age difference between the younger seniors on here (me and those a few years younger ) and the older ones in their late 80's and early 90's.. that's a whole generation gap so views might be very different ...

About 25 or so years ago, I thought I wanted a bigger wedding ring set.

I was 20 and my hubby was 21 when we got married in the late 70s. We didn't have anything except each other and consequently, he had to sell his '75 Charger in order to have enough money to buy my ring. It has very small diamonds set in white gold bands. I was happy with our purchase. Then, in my thirties when we started to make some money, I thought it would be nice to have a bigger set.

I never did find a set I really liked and now I'm glad I didn't. My wedding ring is so sentimental to me now and always reminds me of how we were when we started out.

Back