As you get older, do you find yourself downsizing, decluttering.

I have been working on this since I moved here in 2018. I have gotten rid of a lot of things so far. My major project now is the storage locker downstairs. It is not very big but I can't put anything more into it. I plan on cleaning it out and only keeping the rug shampooer and my extra household supplies (cleaning supplies, paper products, etc.) in plastic storage containers in it. I have more than a few boxes of Christmas decorations that I kept for sentimental reasons but now it is time to let them go.

Have three dresser drawers to go through up here. Even though I have cleaned and organized my kitchen cupboards a million times since I moved in, I see items I haven't used since then. So time to get them out. A studio apartment does not have much room so every inch of space is important.

Lately, I have the urge to declutter. No-one comes into my house now without being forced to leave with something! And, I'm putting stuff out in my neighbors' garage sale next weekend. As to the hoarding issue, the only thing that I hoard is paper stuff (receipts, warrantees, legal correspondence, financial documents, etc. It is a real problem for me. I am always fearful that I may need that 6 year old, faded receipt someday. I just emptied a whole large box of paperwork about an old house I owned that isn't even standing anymore! The new property owners tore it down years ago. /-;

Lately I’ve been asking myself if I really care about the things I’m looking at. I have some of my mother’s antique furniture and I really wouldn’t miss it. It’s not valuable so doubt I could even sell it. Thinking like this means that if/when the time comes, it won’t be so hard to part with.

Had a busy job downsizing Sunday and yesterday.
Sunday i sat down and taught myself how to post on for sale groups through facebook.
I DID IT !!!!!!!!!!! ALL BY MYSELF !!!!!!!!!!!
Listed
Futon......Sofa tale.......coffee table......2 side tables......a selection of corningware casserole dishes.
All sold by Monday at 9 am........all tables were picked up yesterday......holding the futon for a couple of weeks, she needs to find someone to pick it up, she wanted to send a e-transfer, but i said i'll hold.......the dishes will be picked up friday.

My foster daughters sister wanted the coffee table and 2 side tables back in March......she's not coming up with any money......tired of waiting, so i sold them.

My phone never stopped on Sunday, clicked sold on items as they sold, then removed the listing.
will post some more items this week.

Wow !!!!!!!!! my new favorite pastime. 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

the trouble is downsizing needs a lot of energy.. ..really it's a job for the young..., but if you can manage to do it or get help to do it, you will have a lot lifted from your shoulders..

I have an attic which is pretty packed with stuff, almost all of it boxed but the boxes are etremely heavy and my estranged o/h was the one who put everything up there ... It's impossible for me to bring them down, I never expected not to have my husband around to do it .. ..so I'm going to have to call in a loft clearance company, not to junk the stuff, but just to bring it all down for me to sort through and donate or sell... and then I'll keep the loft space empty except for luggage...
I think that he should be responsible, the least he could do is bring the boxes down so that you can sort them.

Had a good day of selling yesterday.
Sold.....
Lounge chair.......2 metal outdoor end tables.......3 iron double hooks hangers.
Listed yesterday, early morning, sold by 11am.
Going to take some pics of more stuff to sell.
This selling stuff is hard work.....;););););)

Yep, I take great pleasure in getting rid of things, most of which admittedly, I throw away. It's gotten so that whenever something goes missing, everyone looks at me. "What? I didn't throw it away. I didn't!... I'm almost positive... I didn't."

I had been downsizing for a few years. When I sold my house last year I had my furniture and 31 plastic bins plus my clothes. Unfortunately my ex was somewhat of a hoarder and we only had 30 days to get rid of stuff. I worked 12 hours a day until it was done. We had a garage sale, I sold things online and put tons of stuff outside for free. Two big trailer loads went to the dump. I hired the neighbor kid to haul everything out of the basement and shed and dump it in the backyard. That saved time for us to sort through it. The teenager was much faster. I have helped a few friends do the same. Everything in my 833 sq ft condo are items I love.

Futon picked up and paid for.
Guess what.
Sold my huge 3 piece living room set.....not sure when it will be picked up yet.

I'm running out of stuff to sell.......any of you have any stuff i can sell.;);););)
yep...I've got loads, come and get it... I won;t charge commission... :ROFLMAO:...seriously I'm looking at selling my sofas.. they're top quality leather, and in mint condition. My problem is not that they're no good, but there has to be some kind of chemical in the leather, because if I fall asleep on the sofa I'll start to be unable to breathe.. yet there's no discernible smell from them, never has been... so I want to return to a Fabric sofa, and get a corner style rather than having 2 sofas..

My problem is, I keep looking at my existing sofas, and thinking I'll never be able to afford the same quality as those.. and will I regret getting rid of these leather ones in 5 or 6 years if the cheaper fabric ones start falling apart...:unsure:

After 13 years in The Hovel, the accumulation of stuff is close to crowding me out. It would be a big help if people would just stop giving me more stuff. I keep telling DD that on a gift-giving occasion to please give me chocolate and gift cards to the garden centers.

While I'm cleaning today I might, just might, start purging. There's just so much that will fit into The Hovel...keep in mind that it's just a hair under 300sf.

Back