As you get older, do you find yourself downsizing, decluttering.

I down sized in 2019 from a large 4 bedroom 2 bath house to a 432 sq ft cabin. I can dust, sweep and mop, clean the bathroom and kitchen and be laid back in my recliner within 40 minutes and no rushing through it. Absolutely no regrets.
Yep. I recently moved from a 4 br 2 ba house to a 1 br 1 ba apartment and I have no regrets at all.

As you get older, do you find yourself downsizing, decluttering.

No chance, I love all of my clutter. I'd fret if some mean so and so stole it.
I wallow in it all, my treasure gives me so much comfort. Downsizing, decluttering, who's ever heard of such a daft idea. HA 😊

After 13 years in The Hovel, the accumulation of stuff is close to crowding me out. It would be a big help if people would just stop giving me more stuff. I keep telling DD that on a gift-giving occasion to please give me chocolate and gift cards to the garden centers.

While I'm cleaning today I might, just might, start purging. There's just so much that will fit into The Hovel...keep in mind that it's just a hair under 300sf.
If people give me stuff that I don’t want I take it directly to the thrift store and problem solved. You need to be brutal in such a small space.

I have been dumping stuff the last coupla years getting ready to pull up stakes. I have been giving lots of nice stuff to friends...In fact, I was talking to a friend down the road yesterday setting him and his dump trailer up to drag some of this crap out of here. I was telling him how, back when I first got out of The Military and was living over on the Colorado River, Arizona side, if something didn't fit in my V-Dub Bug, along with my dog, guitar, a couple pairs of Levi's, and a Tee Shirt or two, one of which was my Sunday Go To Meeting Tee Shirt (that one had the fewest stains), then by golly, I didn't own it.

Fast forward a few years ahead from there, and I was turning BIG bucks with my construction biz here in CA. I had a gigantic 3 Level house on top of a mountain, across the valley from where I sit now---not to mention a truly gorgeous woman, blonde and older than me by...37 days! I always preferred older women.

And wouldn't you know it, I, quite by accident turned her into high maintenance. Big homes, big diamonds, and nice Benz's and Cadillac's have a tendency to do that to gals who came from small town South Dakota, and was brought up with and by, meager means.

I wanted to give her the very best of everything, and make up for all the beautiful things she never had a chance to acquire....and ya can believe I worked long and hard to feed the beast I had created.

The ironic thing is, when it came time to "split the sheets"...and everything else in favor of her, she added insult to injury by informing me that all the nice homes, possessions, jewelry and autos meant little to her...she also said that I was selfish by spending so much time in my office bidding project plans, chasing money, or driving jobsite to jobsite, on an average of 14+ hours a day, often 7 days a week.

I didn't argue, because as most older males know at this point in time, there is no argument that can calm a woman who is convinced she has been wronged, regardless the evidence to the contrary.

That split took place in July 2001...and I will give ya'll one guess just what handsome young buck never got tied up again!

I have always been a collector of pretty neat stuff, and it is like pulling teeth to get myself to cut loose of prized possessions...but, it needs to be done. I figgered out many years ago, that too often we become slaves to our possessions. I had a couple ranches, with lots of dogs, cats and horses...just the feed and vet bills would bring tears to most people's eyes! But, my Blondie was horse people, and both of us loved dogs and cats. Owning a lot of critters can keep ya close to home, since it really is difficult to find people to pet sit them in a manner that pleases doting owners.

'Nuff for now, because I can go off the rails once I get going on.

V.

I only regret getting rid of all my art supplies and paintings. I should have kept at least one painting. And some days I'd love to be able to just sit and paint for a few hours or so. I wouldn't be on this computer so much. It's probably for the best, though, because I'd have to stress over getting paint on the wall and the floor, and this is a rental. I'd have to cordon off an area and cover the whole thing with tarps, like a kill-room or something.
My father was an artist, mainly oils and watercolor, but occasionally he would do a piece with just crayons and they were beautiful, I have one hanging up. So when I get that urge, but don't want to make a big mess I just get out some good quality art paper and my "orchestra" pack of crayons and go to town. Tip: for large areas like sky, take a one inch piece of crayon and lay it on it's side to color.

Also the smell of crayons makes me happy.
------------------

We stay very minimal. None of us likes clutter and my husband volunteers at a place that takes everything from furniture to clothing so if I look at something and realize haven't used or enjoyed It for a while, it goes out with him in the morning. I love that feeling of traveling light.

My father was an artist, mainly oils and watercolor, but occasionally he would do a piece with just crayons and they were beautiful, I have one hanging up. So when I get that urge, but don't want to make a big mess I just get out some good quality art paper and my "orchestra" pack of crayons and go to town.
I haven't painted in quite a while, but I draw now and then. I use sketch pads and either a set of specialized pencils, or pen & ink - the kind of ink you dip various pen tips into.

I have been dumping stuff the last coupla years getting ready to pull up stakes. I have been giving lots of nice stuff to friends...In fact, I was talking to a friend down the road yesterday setting him and his dump trailer up to drag some of this crap out of here. I was telling him how, back when I first got out of The Military and was living over on the Colorado River, Arizona side, if something didn't fit in my V-Dub Bug, along with my dog, guitar, a couple pairs of Levi's, and a Tee Shirt or two, one of which was my Sunday Go To Meeting Tee Shirt (that one had the fewest stains), then by golly, I didn't own it.

Fast forward a few years ahead from there, and I was turning BIG bucks with my construction biz here in CA. I had a gigantic 3 Level house on top of a mountain, across the valley from where I sit now---not to mention a truly gorgeous woman, blonde and older than me by...37 days! I always preferred older women.

And wouldn't you know it, I, quite by accident turned her into high maintenance. Big homes, big diamonds, and nice Benz's and Cadillac's have a tendency to do that to gals who came from small town South Dakota, and was brought up with and by, meager means.

I wanted to give her the very best of everything, and make up for all the beautiful things she never had a chance to acquire....and ya can believe I worked long and hard to feed the beast I had created.

The ironic thing is, when it came time to "split the sheets"...and everything else in favor of her, she added insult to injury by informing me that all the nice homes, possessions, jewelry and autos meant little to her...she also said that I was selfish by spending so much time in my office bidding project plans, chasing money, or driving jobsite to jobsite, on an average of 14+ hours a day, often 7 days a week.

I didn't argue, because as most older males know at this point in time, there is no argument that can calm a woman who is convinced she has been wronged, regardless the evidence to the contrary.

That split took place in July 2001...and I will give ya'll one guess just what handsome young buck never got tied up again!

I have always been a collector of pretty neat stuff, and it is like pulling teeth to get myself to cut loose of prized possessions...but, it needs to be done. I figgered out many years ago, that too often we become slaves to our possessions. I had a couple ranches, with lots of dogs, cats and horses...just the feed and vet bills would bring tears to most people's eyes! But, my Blondie was horse people, and both of us loved dogs and cats. Owning a lot of critters can keep ya close to home, since it really is difficult to find people to pet sit them in a manner that pleases doting owners.

'Nuff for now, because I can go off the rails once I get going on.

V.
Money and material things never meant much to me until I hit about 50. Then I kept thinking that my husband and I have worked all these years and this is all we have?? Luckily that didn’t last too long and turned out to be just a phase in life. Now I’m trying to downsize. Like you said slaves to our possessions. 👍

Since I am on call 7 days a week my humble abode resembles a college dorm room. Most of my clothes and personal items are prepacked and ready to go so my expenses are minimal to none. Same routine when I'll retire since I'll be traveling,

I’m posted a little while ago about selling things in order to downsize, getting rid of stuff I don’t use or need.
Sold my king bed, went down to a full/double…..I spend a lot less time making the bed now. 😉.
I mentioned I sold some kitchen items, which was to my foster daughter, I’ve given her so much, that I thought some things could be bought, she said she wanted to buy…..sent the counter top roaster and bullet/ninja stuff with her when she came to look at the stuff…..haven’t been paid yet for those two items yet…..when I was there for supper yesterday, it seemed she thought I gave her the stuff free…..we talked about price before, when she looked at the stuff.
Her sister wanted to buy the two end tables and the coffee table……not letting those go till I’m paid.

I’m doing a lot of going through stuff……do I use it……do I need it……
Feel good about doing this…….for me……it’s time.

Any of you with the same thoughts of doing this.
Yes, I'm trying to get down to what I can carry in a travel bag. I'm not sure where I'm going.

Posted more items on Facebook selling groups this morning…….all sold, payed for, and picked up by noon.
Might go to the shed and see what else I can find that I have no use for and post to sell.
This is almost addictive.
Everything I’ve posted since I started doing so, has sold. 😀😃😄.
you seem to be able to get rid of your stuff very quickly while poor @debodun gets time wasters ...

you seem to be able to get rid of your stuff very quickly while poor @debodun gets time wasters ...
Have no answer to that…..yes, Deb went through a lot of frustration, she did mostly yard sales, didn’t she.
My stuff is quite different than hers…..as far as dishes, ornaments, antiques, etc…..haven’t listed anything like that.
Have sold some corningware, and corelle bakeware…..but dishes are a hard sell here…..everyone has dishes.

Posted more items on Facebook selling groups this morning…….all sold, payed for, and picked up by noon.
Might go to the shed and see what else I can find that I have no use for and post to sell.
Yes, getting a little money back off of any type of previous investment feels good.

Have no answer to that…..yes, Deb went through a lot of frustration, she did mostly yard sales, didn’t she.
My stuff is quite different than hers…..as far as dishes, ornaments, antiques, etc…..haven’t listed anything like that.
Have sold some corningware, and corelle bakeware…..but dishes are a hard sell here…..everyone has dishes.
yes but on FB she got so many people giving her the runaround and not turning up for stuff ...

The problem I have with that is you have to claim that as income now and pay taxes on it. I believe if it’s over $600. If it’s Facebook or EBay.

The problem I have with that is you have to claim that as income now and pay taxes on it. I believe if it’s over $600. If it’s Facebook or EBay

My stepson has a big surprise coming up as soon as hubby can deliver my decluttering to him. 🤠
I was lending my garage as storage for a while, so I've been there. In the past, my daughter kept bringing items she no longer wanted to my house. Possibly she wanted someone else to dispose of them. After much decluttering, I still wake to realize there is more to go. At least your husband is delivering.

Have sold some corningware, and corelle bakeware…
If you have white Corelle dishes, they’re highly coveted.

As I was examine some of my mother’s items, my husband was telling me that I don’t have to get rid of it. I really want to. Sure wish I could have a garage sale. At the same time as he’s telling me to keep things, he’s going through his and his parents’ memorabilia. As he says, it has no meaning except to him. Much of it he’s never looked at. His kids will just toss it.

The lady in the apartment next to me had no family (that I know of) and she left to go to a nursing home. Her apartment has been emptied out. All her possessions were put in the dumpster (and the local homeless and less fortunate descended on that within an hour). Her furniture was donated to a local agency that helps low income people. Sometimes I wish I could burn all my treasured possessions so they don't end up like that. I know they are just things but I still love them.

The lady in the apartment next to me had no family (that I know of) and she left to go to a nursing home. Her apartment has been emptied out. All her possessions were put in the dumpster (and the local homeless and less fortunate descended on that within an hour). Her furniture was donated to a local agency that helps low income people. Sometimes I wish I could burn all my treasured possessions so they don't end up like that. I know they are just things but I still love them.
My daughter has already taken most of the family pieces that weren't ruined in a storm. I still have a few sentimental family items at a safe location for my other child.

Back